Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 05:20 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times

Advertisements

OP, you are presuming, that there is afterlife. As, if there is none, you simply will not know. I mean - do you have concept of non existence? A perfect non existence, aka death? Otherwise, if you do consider any form of afterlife, well, unleash the reins of imagination....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2020, 05:20 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
If you live an enjoyable life, help others, make your time useful and productive while you're here, (and just to be safe, pray for everlasting life), you don't have to worry about hell and misery. It's a non-issue; irrelevant. And if it turns out that hell doesn't exist, you've not lost anything in the process.

You can't give credence to the hardcore nuts foaming at the mouth about hell. They're to be put on ignore anyway. They're creating hell for themselves, and will have to face whatever that leads too. But that's other people, not yourself. Focus on your own life, and none of the foolishness in others will matter.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 10-13-2020 at 05:30 PM..

Old 10-13-2020, 05:30 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
If you live an enjoyable life, help others, make your time useful and productive while you're here, (and just to be safe, pray for everlasting life), you don't have to worry about hell and misery. It's a non-issue; irrelevant. And if it turns out that hell doesn't exist, you've not lost anything in the process.

You can't give credence to the hardcore nuts foaming at the mouth about hell. They're to be put on ignore anyway. They're creating hell for themselves, and will have to face whatever that leads too. But that's other people, not yourself. Focus on your own life, and don't get caught up with humanity and the world.
worth a double ...

Old 10-13-2020, 05:31 PM

Thanks AA.

Old 10-13-2020, 05:38 PM

3,734 posts, read 2,560,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Isn't it much better and safer for there to be no god and no afterlife than a god and a hell?.. Logically its safer for there to be no god.
This is a very good point.. and as a believer in God it is definitely something I emotionally struggle with (ie- there are seemingly cruel circumstances we have no say in).. But (to me) the point is, human logic doesn't form the spiritual paradigm/reality. We are thrust in to it.. we have to navigate God's world as is, not how we wish it was. It's humbling, but I trust God's wisdom over my perceptions (logical or otherwise). I mean life would logically be better without cancer, but that's not the world we inhabit. Hope I articulated my opinion clearly. Peace

Old 10-13-2020, 05:44 PM

^ But how can you expect a "safe" world? Look at the world we live in: car crashes, illness/cancer/Covid (hee hee), heart attacks, floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, lightning, fires, wars, murders, suicides, etc. etc.

Nature is not safe. The body is not safe from illness and death. Many among us are not safe.

Seeking safety from the realities of life and world is pure foolishness. Recognize it and make the most of it, but don't expect fantasy. Running from God or tuning him out - just in case he is real - maybe be ignoring what is a reflection of nature. You don't have to have hardcore beliefs to at least have awareness, and keep on good terms, just in case...

Old 10-13-2020, 07:15 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
I guess the question is moot for me - but I think it's ok to make a comment as to why...
Cuz God is Pure Love* and there is no punishing hell - except for what we make for ourselves,
until we wake up out of it.

* Oh, I don't just make this stuff up - that is my personal experience.

Old 10-13-2020, 07:42 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
That's a very convoluted view of life. The ultimate joy anyone can have is a relationship with the Creator. The relationship is the entire purpose and end in itself. It's what gives Life to life.

Old 10-13-2020, 07:44 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
No god-thing worthy of a capital G would eternally toast anybody.

Hell is a religious fundie's wet dream.

Old 10-13-2020, 07:45 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Isn't it much better and safer for there to be no god and no afterlife than a god and a hell? Just by the numbers most religions can't be right since there are so many, and most religions say you go to hell for many reasons including not being that religion or other things. Lets say Islam or Catholicism is correct, then most of the world is going to eternal hell with no way to know which religion is correct. Logically its safer for there to be no god.
Why is everybody going to eternal Hell depending on their religion? I certainly don't think they are! But then, I don't think atheists are going to Hell either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality