Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2020, 09:24 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,404,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Good question. I don’t know if Neanderthals are made in the image of God. In order to have an informed opinion I’d first research what exactly “being made in the image of God” means. I’ll look into that.

What about you? According to your beliefs, did your deistic god make humans in his own image? If so, what characteristics does that imply?

Thanks.
I would say that based on what we know about Neanderthals and all other hominids dating back 3 million years that they are all considered "man" and that is what God meant when he said created in the image of God. Not sure why Christians would deny hominds like Lucy.

Old 10-19-2020, 09:30 AM

2,962 posts, read 863,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
I would say that based on what we know about Neanderthals and all other hominids dating back 3 million years that they are all considered "man" and that is what God meant when he said created in the image of God. Not sure why Christians would deny hominds like Lucy.
I don’t have an opinion on the question of Neanderthals.
What about you? According to your beliefs, did your deistic God make Neanderthals in his own image?

Old 10-19-2020, 09:50 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,404,605 times
Quote:
I don’t have an opinion on the question of Neanderthals.
What about you? According to your beliefs, did your deistic God make Neanderthals in his own image?
According to Deism no he did not make him in his image. He simply created the world and let natural laws take over. According to Christianity, man kind was made in the image of God and in my opinion that includes Neanderthals.

A God that requires unquestioned worship and lifelong devotion, and is vengeful to those who do not follow him, isn't at all surprising given that God was made in our own image- Charles Patterson

Old 10-19-2020, 11:35 AM

3,573 posts, read 1,176,598 times
Quote:
According to Deism no he did not make him in his image. He simply created the world and let natural laws take over. According to Christianity, man kind was made in the image of God and in my opinion that includes Neanderthals.

A God that requires unquestioned worship and lifelong devotion, and is vengeful to those who do not follow him, isn't at all surprising given that God was made in our own image- Charles Patterson
Nachmanides, ancient Kabbalist, said that only thing that God created ex nihilo was elementary matter
that had built in blueprint of everything that would come into being.

Old 10-19-2020, 12:34 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
Nachmanides, ancient Kabbalist, said that only thing that God created ex nihilo was elementary matter
that had built in blueprint of everything that would come into being.
Somewhat hard for atheists to argue against that view since that tends to mirror the atheist presumption fairly closely.

Old 10-19-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
According to Deism no he did not make him in his image. He simply created the world and let natural laws take over.
Thanks for answering. If you don’t mind my asking, what are the reasons you believe in a deistic creator god?

Old 10-19-2020, 12:56 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
They are carnally-minded not spiritually-minded. God did not make humankind in His physical image because God is a Spirit. He made humankind in His spiritual image, e.g., as a Spirit in a physical vessel. All such physical vessels with the same kind of Spirit are human.

Old 10-19-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Somewhat hard for atheists to argue against that view since that tends to mirror the atheist presumption fairly closely.
That is exactly why I used this for tears in my discussions with atheism. Lol. God is rational.

Old 10-19-2020, 01:21 PM

A video explaining what it means to be “made in God’s image.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2yUftbD2-E

Neanderthals could only be said to have been “made in God’s image” if they possessed an immaterial soul/spirit. The answer to that cannot be known.

Old 10-19-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
A video explaining what it means to be “made in God’s image.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2yUftbD2-E

Neanderthals could only be said to have been “made in God’s image” if they possessed a soul/spirit. The answer to that cannot be known.
You are right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality