Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2020, 08:24 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Right, they're accountable to God. Same with any Baptist, or any other Christian denomination. But hey..you guys don't want us declaring that the guy on the street corner that teaches a "Christianity" that bears no resemblance to anything we believe isn't Christian....so I guess that means any fool can call himself a Rabbi and teach whatever he wants, eh?

So...what's stopping any yahoo from claiming to be a Rabbi and teaching whatever he wants?

I tried to Google it, and all I found was a 2002 article saying there were 3700 or so synagogues in the US. So, if each is only accountable to itself, that means you have 3700 different denominations as of 2002. Must be over 5000 by now, right?
BaptistFundie, do you consider yourself a prophet from god?

Old 10-22-2020, 08:26 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Right, they're accountable to God. Same with any Baptist, or any other Christian denomination. But hey..you guys don't want us declaring that the guy on the street corner that teaches a "Christianity" that bears no resemblance to anything we believe isn't Christian....so I guess that means any fool can call himself a Rabbi and teach whatever he wants, eh?

So...what's stopping any yahoo from claiming to be a Rabbi and teaching whatever he wants?

I tried to Google it, and all I found was a 2002 article saying there were 3700 or so synagogues in the US. So, if each is only accountable to itself, that means you have 3700 different denominations as of 2002. Must be over 5000 by now, right?
The fact is, they don’t teach whatever they want, they teach what is in Torah...

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/the-synagogue/

Old 10-22-2020, 08:28 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
The fact is, they don’t teach whatever they want, they teach what is in Torah...

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/the-synagogue/
Likewise, Christian pastors are supposed to only teach what is in the Bible. But there are all sorts of people claiming to be pastors that teach all sorts of crazy stuff. So, do you agree that we should call those folks out and define them as non-Christian?

Who defines who is and is not teaching Torah?

Old 10-22-2020, 08:32 AM

3,573 posts, read 1,177,018 times
Quote:
Likewise, Christian pastors are supposed to only teach what is in the Bible. But there are all sorts of people claiming to be pastors that teach all sorts of crazy stuff. So, do you agree that we should call those folks out and define them as non-Christian?

There were a few hundred years where there was no NT.

Old 10-22-2020, 08:46 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:

No. If they call themselves Christians, they're Christians.

But there are good Christians and crappy ones, that's for sure.

You have certainly illustrated that thousands of times.

Old 10-22-2020, 09:08 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:

The fact is with Christianity anyone can pick up a bible, call themselves a pastor and start a church...I’ve seen it many times...With Judaism, in order for one to become a Rabbi, one has to be ordained:

Rabbinical Ordination Today

Despite the cessation of classical semicha, rabbis continued to be ordained throughout the generations. This diminished form of ordination was necessary because it is forbidden for a student to establish himself as an authority in Jewish law without his teacher’s explicit permission. Thus rabbinical ordination came to mean simply that the student had received permission from his teacher to make halachic rulings.

Some are of the opinion that rabbinic ordination nowadays is a remembrance of the ancient classical semicha. Therefore they believe that when granting rabbinic ordination we should try to fulfill as many requirements of the original semicha as possible, such as the requirement that only one qualified to rule in all areas of Jewish law should be ordained. - https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...Is-a-Rabbi.htm

Old 10-22-2020, 09:10 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Judaism doesn't believe in a soul, does it? Or not? It's an odd thing but while Buddhism doesn't believe in a soul, a lot of Buddhists seem to.

It seems like it is a very strong and common instinct in humans (and probably Neanderthals, too) that there is another personality within us and that it survives after death. Which doesn't make it true of course.
In regard to the Buddhism aspect, I think it's a fine line between the non-belief and belief in a soul, and there have been times I wonder if it's more a matter of semantics. And, keep in mind that it's not a matter of faith that Buddhists must or must not believe in a soul (or something of that sort).

Old 10-22-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:

You do seem to have a problem with the concept of freedom of thought...except for your own.

Old 10-22-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:

It is the job of christian pastors to teach and interpret. Some of them may interpret things differently than you do. That's freedom of thought.

Old 10-22-2020, 09:23 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
The fact is with Christianity anyone can pick up a bible, call themselves a pastor and start a church...I’ve seen it many times...With Judaism, in order for one to become a Rabbi, one has to be ordained:
Did you know that we actually have ordination guidelines in Christianity? That a man has to be examined and have permission to be ordained?

That's how one gets the title "Reverend"

Of course, there are those that will go rogue and do their own thing. Just as anyone COULD go rogue and just call themselves a rabbi. Nothing really stops anyone from doing that.

Quote:
Rabbinical Ordination Today

Despite the cessation of classical semicha, rabbis continued to be ordained throughout the generations. This diminished form of ordination was necessary because it is forbidden for a student to establish himself as an authority in Jewish law without his teacher’s explicit permission. Thus rabbinical ordination came to mean simply that the student had received permission from his teacher to make halachic rulings.

Some are of the opinion that rabbinic ordination nowadays is a remembrance of the ancient classical semicha. Therefore they believe that when granting rabbinic ordination we should try to fulfill as many requirements of the original semicha as possible, such as the requirement that only one qualified to rule in all areas of Jewish law should be ordained. - https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...Is-a-Rabbi.htm
What if I decide to just start calling myself a Rabbi? Who's going to stop me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality