Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2020, 01:05 AM

50,083 posts, read 20,676,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
In what way?
Sorry. The above is Ok. I was replying to Tzaph's #136.

But I'll leave you bods to it. You seem to be doing fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2020, 01:55 AM

802 posts, read 983,366 times
Quote:
Atma/Brhma does not act, it is consciousness in a state of peace and completeness, where there is no desires, no duality, nor cause nor effect. That is the nature of Atma (Mandukya). In that state I am not sure there is any question of choice, it seems to have no relevance.
Brihdaranyaka UP does locate this consciousness in the heart, so you may have something there. Realization is not an act, it is the dissolution of the mistaken identity that we are something other than atma. The texts say nothing happens once that happens, the world still exists. It is the way we deal with the world that changes. Like when we train our senses to no longer see a setting sun, but a turning earth.
Does that dissolution of identity put one squarely at the doorstep of the Buddha, where it may imply or suggest the same dissolution of Atma, as also mistaken - leaving no identity at all? The Advaitist remains at the doorstep where Atma is certain, whereas in the Buddha's house, Atma is discarded/dissolved? Is this a reasonable (and simplistic) view of one's inner choice?

Doesn't that choice reinforce the Atma view that we are buddha and buddha is us? This is clumsily stated, I know. I may be inferring that choice is illusion. Actually, the distinction between Atma and no-Atma is also illusion?

Last edited by highplainsrus; 10-29-2020 at 02:40 AM..

Old 10-29-2020, 03:53 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,560,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
the person who rejects data based on whether the author is alive, is less reliable.
You are looking for reasons to discredit people not honestly look at what they are saying. I kind od let what the person said discredit them.

Lets apply my method and compare it to your method. In terms of hindu texts.

me: All things being equal, people with more data tend to be more reliable in describing Hinduism. Meaning, people today are probably a little more reliable in describing realty than people were 2000 years ago in describing reality.

The counter claim:

Tzaph: the person who rejects data based on whether the author is alive, is less reliable.

Old 10-29-2020, 07:33 AM

15,915 posts, read 6,998,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well pardon me, I'm just one of the common folks.
We use quotation marks with direct quotes, with titles of certain works, to imply alternate meanings, and to write words as words.
That is a mini lesson on English grammar and punctuation. People use them improperly all the time.
If you still do not get the full import of my post you may need a course.

Old 10-29-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Sorry. The above is Ok. I was replying to Tzaph's #136.

But I'll leave you bods to it. You seem to be doing fine.
You are ridiculous.

Old 10-29-2020, 07:48 AM

22,129 posts, read 19,185,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
we are talking about the reliability of ancient texted. But IU understand why you would avoid saying the person with more data is more reliable. People that know what they are talking about aren't real good in pushing anti-religion and anti-god positions. well, because they make no sense to rational people.
pushing anti-old, anti-age, anti- not living, anti-ancient is the same.
And it also "makes no sense to rational people."

Old 10-29-2020, 07:54 AM

22,129 posts, read 19,185,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
You are looking for reasons to discredit people not honestly look at what they are saying. I kind od let what the person said discredit them.
Lets apply my method and compare it to your method. In terms of hindu texts.
me: All things being equal, people with more data tend to be more reliable in describing Hinduism. Meaning, people today are probably a little more reliable in describing realty than people were 2000 years ago in describing reality.

The counter claim: the person who rejects data based on whether the author is alive, is less reliable.
It is precisely because of looking honestly at what you are saying, that it is discredited.
Rejecting data because it is "ancient" or comes from people not alive is less reliable. It is a criteria that is superficial, immature, and lacks discernment.

Following that (superficial, immature) "reasoning" a person would reject classical music (dead composers), art masterpieces (dead artists), literature classics (dead authors), holy texts such as from Hinduism (dead scribes), and architectural wonders (dead builders).

Old 10-29-2020, 08:41 AM

50,717 posts, read 24,232,654 times
Quote:
We use quotation marks with direct quotes, with titles of certain works, to imply alternate meanings, and to write words as words.
That is a mini lesson on English grammar and punctuation. People use them improperly all the time.
If you still do not get the full import of my post you may need a course.
Why don't you get over yourself.

Old 10-29-2020, 09:38 AM

63,741 posts, read 40,011,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
It is precisely because of looking honestly at what you are saying, that it is discredited.
Rejecting data because it is "ancient" or comes from people not alive is less reliable. It is a criteria that is superficial, immature, and lacks discernment.
Following that (superficial, immature) "reasoning" a person would reject classical music (dead composers), art masterpieces (dead artists), literature classics (dead authors), holy texts such as from Hinduism (dead scribes), and architectural wonders (dead builders).
That is not what is being done. That is a straw man version. We are talking about filtering what is claimed about Reality through modern knowledge. We do not reject all of it.

Old 10-29-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Why don't you get over yourself.
I just did not want you to feel hurt with the misapprehension (misunderstanding) that common folk is somehow insulting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality