Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 10:01 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yeah it would be. we started making head way in the begging of life thread. As soon as the notions we were presenting started to out weight the counter claims ... poof .... they gone.

If it was just about showing what we mean and comparing the ideas to see what gives ... it would be totally awesome.
I have often thought the longer a thread continues, the more reason it should be allowed to do so, but some seemingly go on forever no matter what while others are killed for reasons often very hard to guess. Sometimes without warning or instead of deleting the offending comments.

Ultimately in some of these cases it seems to be this issue of where, how, why -- whether -- comments that touch upon science have a place in forums like this one. An interesting dynamic to consider, as it seems to be a continuous point of contention in this forum. Not sure what is okay along those lines and what is not, but no doubt there are folks who have strong opinion on both sides of that issue...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2020, 05:00 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
because the forum really needs to change it name.

This forum is more about activism than anything else. Its name should reflect that.

Old 11-22-2020, 08:03 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
I have suggested that "R/S" should stand for 'Religion and Secularism".

Old 11-23-2020, 04:46 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
yeah it would be. we started making head way in the begging of life thread. As soon as the notions we were presenting started to out weight the counter claims ... poof .... they gone.

If it was just about showing what we mean and comparing the ideas to see what gives ... it would be totally awesome.
Obviously, this post violates the TOS, where it says: Discussing moderator actions (deleting/moving/editing threads or posts) is not allowed in the public forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I have often thought the longer a thread continues, the more reason it should be allowed to do so, but some seemingly go on forever no matter what while others are killed for reasons often very hard to guess. Sometimes without warning or instead of deleting the offending comments.

Ultimately in some of these cases it seems to be this issue of where, how, why -- whether -- comments that touch upon science have a place in forums like this one. An interesting dynamic to consider, as it seems to be a continuous point of contention in this forum. Not sure what is okay along those lines and what is not, but no doubt there are folks who have strong opinion on both sides of that issue...
Instead of reporting the problem, you replied to it.

Quote:
because the forum really needs to change it name.

This forum is more about activism than anything else. Its name should reflect that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I have suggested that "R/S" should stand for 'Religion and Secularism".
Moderators, and ever Senior Moderators, are completely and utterly without influence regarding the names and topics of the forums. I will tell you that one member complained about how the R&S forum operates, and was told the way we manage it is exactly how they want it to work.

Now, back to the topic.

Old 11-23-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Obviously, this post violates the TOS, where it says: Discussing moderator actions (deleting/moving/editing threads or posts) is not allowed in the public forums.

Instead of reporting the problem, you replied to it.

Moderators, and ever Senior Moderators, are completely and utterly without influence regarding the names and topics of the forums. I will tell you that one member complained about how the R&S forum operates, and was told the way we manage it is exactly how they want it to work.

Now, back to the topic.
My bad I suppose, but I have many times explained that I don't report anything to anyone about anything. Don't use the ignore function either. Never have, never will. All just seems a little childish to me...

My reply was to agree about the problem. Curious how it is the R&S forum operates exactly like the person was complaining it doesn't. I see lots of ongoing confusion along those lines, and though I never complain to moderators about how others object along those lines, I too am often confused.

Thanks. Right. Back to topic...

Lots of people seem to think knowing (or learning) about religions other than your own is some sort of an affront! I would think if there was interest in anything I believed, and people wanted me to elaborate about my beliefs, I'd be delighted. Whether to agree or disagree with me no matter. I'd be delighted!

If I didn't like how someone expressed their opinion or beliefs different from mine, if I didn't agree, I'd simply explain why. That's exactly what I do instead of belly aching or reporting anyone. I certainly would not take the position they should not express their opinion either way. That too seems awfully childish to me, but I think there are other emotional dynamics often involved besides just immaturity.

How much do I really know about other people's religion?

Not nearly as much as I would like to!

Old 11-23-2020, 11:29 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
My bad I suppose, but I have many times explained that I don't report anything to anyone about anything. Don't use the ignore function either. Never have, never will. All just seems a little childish to me...

My reply was to agree about the problem. Curious how it is the R&S forum operates exactly like the person was complaining it doesn't. I see lots of ongoing confusion along those lines, and though I never complain to moderators about how others object along those lines, I too am often confused.

<snip>
To address this: Some regulars on here rarely or never make reports. Some can't seem to stop clicking the report button over the most trivial imagined violations. That's a choice. However, if you choose not to report something, don't then turn around and respond to a post and declare it a problem publicly.

And of course posters don't always understand why a thread is closed or action taken or not taken. You don't know what you don't know. We do, and that's all you have to know.

Old 11-23-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
To address this: Some regulars on here rarely or never make reports. Some can't seem to stop clicking the report button over the most trivial imagined violations. That's a choice. However, if you choose not to report something, don't then turn around and respond to a post and declare it a problem publicly.

And of course posters don't always understand why a thread is closed or action taken or not taken. You don't know what you don't know. We do, and that's all you have to know.
Reads a little like "pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"

And no surprise to me...

I suspect I don't think as much about violations when I am responding to a post (if at all). Never really occurs to me to report anything or anyone. Everything I choose to comment about in this forum I do publicly in any case. Sorry when that runs me afoul of the law, but I'll have to refer any further comments about this to my lawyer.

Old 11-23-2020, 04:39 PM

words don't always match actions.

when we have people saying they are here for the sole purpose of stopping religion ... thats is not discussing just religion and spirituality. admitting we have some seriously scared atheist and letting them have a bit of therapy does nothing for sorting through beliefs that may make some sense. It does however help anti-religion slants.

it seems only no deity or my deity are the ones that are promoted.

Old 11-23-2020, 04:58 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
OP: Haven't read the thread, but took a few courses on World Religions in graduate school.

I was raised Catholic, but started to educate myself on other religions as a young teen. Started reading about Zen Buddhism at age 14, which coincided with Vatican II (which included so many objectionable items).

I am thankful for my religious training for a myriad of reasons, but after awhile I couldn't accept many of the doctrines.

I still remember the Catechism being pounded into me at age 6 or whenever - I didn't believe one thing they were making me memorize as fact.

Old 11-24-2020, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
OP: Haven't read the thread, but took a few courses on World Religions in graduate school.

I was raised Catholic, but started to educate myself on other religions as a young teen. Started reading about Zen Buddhism at age 14, which coincided with Vatican II (which included so many objectionable items).

I am thankful for my religious training for a myriad of reasons, but after awhile I couldn't accept many of the doctrines.

I still remember the Catechism being pounded into me at age 6 or whenever - I didn't believe one thing they were making me memorize as fact.
I wonder if thats when I lost some respect for authority?

I remember writing stuff down, getting it marked correct, and knowing it is dead wrong?

Lucky for me I had parents that just did their job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality