Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 04:51 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,997,745 times

Advertisements

Are we going with a monotheistic God type scenario only?

Otherwise, the ancient Sumerian version makes for a good resource. Some people think the KJV may have "borrowed" some it's content from the ancient Sumerians: Anu, Enki and Enlil...the Elohim... "Let us make man...".

7 Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech., let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...-9&version=KJV

Last edited by gabfest; 10-31-2020 at 05:03 AM..

Old 10-31-2020, 05:11 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,521,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
100's of verses of him being angry in the Bible yet he states: "Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath! Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil." "But you, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness." "Whoever is slow to anger has great understanding, but he who has a hasty temper exalts folly."

So God can be angry yet he tells us not to be angry?
more like it could get angry and tell us try not to get angry. Much like we do with teenagers. I got angry as a teenager (hey, I heard that) and I tell the next generation try not to get angry. Or more precisely, try and see if the situation deems anger as the appropriate response.

if we say "god is angry in the OT", then its reasonable to say "God matured in the NT".

Old 10-31-2020, 05:18 AM

4,638 posts, read 1,773,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
more like it could get angry and tell us try not to get angry. Much like we do with teenagers. I got angry as a teenager (hey, I heard that) and I tell the next generation try not to get angry. Or more precisely, try and see if the situation deems anger as the appropriate response.

if we say "god is angry in the OT", then its reasonable to say "God matured in the NT".
No it's not.

There IS such a thing as "RIGHTEOUS" anger. It's just that some humans don't see God's anger as "RIGHTEOUS".

And, by the way...God was still present in the NT. God may STILL be angry at us. But through Jesus, His anger is tempered.

Old 10-31-2020, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
No it's not.

There IS such a thing as "RIGHTEOUS" anger. It's just that some humans don't see God's anger as "RIGHTEOUS".

And, by the way...God was still present in the NT. God may STILL be angry at us. But through Jesus, His anger is tempered.
Yes and no. There are things that we should get angry about. I would say its better stated "revenge" is not the best reason to strike back. Or there is no such thing as "righteous revenge". Maybe the word "Rage"? vs "anger"? IDK.

To your last line, definitely. I see god, if it exist, as part of this universe. Some people would say we are part of their god. Either way, we are in its image so it may be evolving just like everything else is.

Old 10-31-2020, 06:28 AM

50,083 posts, read 20,582,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Ok, I’ll give it another try...

Because it feeds their ego and gives them a thrill to feel like they are in a position to judge and disrespect God?
No, You're thinking along the wrong lines. You're failing to take into consideration something fundamental in the relationship between God and his Creation as depicted in the Bible.

Old 10-31-2020, 06:42 AM

3,573 posts, read 1,165,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
So the flood is not literally true?
The story of Adam and Eve is not literally true?
God is not literally true?
Floods happen, Biblical flood is s Gnostic type of story to make a point. Kabbalah, for example, says Torah is allegory. True God Is Real..

Old 10-31-2020, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
Floods happen, Biblical flood is s Gnostic type of story to make a point. Kabbalah, for example, says Torah is allegory. True God Is.
yuppers,

What I learned from the flood?

look at what's happening around and use the "god" given ability to build yourself a boat and get the heck out of the way.

Mother nature. She doesn't care how nice you are, how good looking your are, what a wonderful life you lived in her name. When the tide rises ... move back.

Old 10-31-2020, 06:50 AM

13,273 posts, read 8,392,925 times
Maybe I am being presumptuous- In so much as:
Is this the God of the Old testament we are mulling over? The One written , edited, interpreted, and pages denied the public? Yeah I read THAT readers digest version.

As to why this particular "GOD" description is so angry....you can thank the authors. Editors.

I wasn't there , and have no desire to understand that Biblical edited GOD .

Old 10-31-2020, 06:51 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,997,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Is this the God of the Old testament we are mulling over? The One written , edited, interpreted, and pages denied the public? Yeah I read THAT readers digest version.

As to why this particular "GOD" description is so angry....you can thank the authors. Editors.

How dare you inject common sense into this arena!

Old 10-31-2020, 07:11 AM

50,083 posts, read 20,582,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

You are not presumptions; rather you are pertinent. The point about an 'angry god' is that it is the OT god and very much a product of the thinking of the writers. Or that's the argument.

Now, there are arguments that God can do as he likes and that God's morality is not ours.

Possible, but the morality we are given ought to be recognisably the morality of the being in whose image we are made. Acts that are violent, unjust and barbaric to us today ought to be more so to any god that was just, loving and Good according to any kind of morality other than the kind resorted to by murderous autocrats.

Which is, I'd say, the god who was made in our image, and remade under Greek Christianity to be more in Their image.

And if horses had gods, they would have four legs.

Some excuse this barbaric bronze -age god - myth by saying it's 'good' because the end is good that only God can see. That's undisprovable but also an unfalsifiable faith -claim and really, under Occam's razor, that it is simply a man -made myth is the simpler explanation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.