Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2020, 09:44 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
It is not a difficult concept, so I ask myself why some people do not get privilege. ...
I'll give you a good example of privilege. The school where I was principal was one of the top schools in my state (as in top 5-10%), and we had odd boundary lines that had been designed, at least in part, to bring balance to the school population in terms of race and income. We had power-broker parents (as in senators, an about-to-be vice president, an NFL superstar, and a governor and former 'first-daughter' of a president of the United States). We also had a couple of neighborhoods where there was Latino gang activity (although far from the worst in that region), and low income apartment that were primarily rented by Black families where both mother and father worked and, in some cases, held down two jobs.

We were a middle school, and at the end of the eighth grade year we held an eighth grade party (the school system did not allow middle school graduation parties). The eighth grade parties were what was then called "semi-formal", held in the school cafeteria, had a professional DJ, a classy level of refreshments, and separate rooms from the cafeteria for socializing and games. Always very pleasant. I was able to give out free tickets to students who were in the free lunch program, and half-price tickets to those on the reduced-price lunch program (although that was not generally known).

We were located in the Washington, D.C. area. And one spring a group of our parents came to me and said they had a proposal -- that the eighth grade party (just a simple 8th grade party) should that year be held in Oahu. There was not even an awareness on the part of these parents that we had poor kids in our school. They just assumed that everyone could afford to fly to Oahu and pay for a hotel for several days for a 3 hour party.

On the other hand, the number of times that I learned, and re-learned how needy some of students were never ceased to amaze me. Our school was approximately 7 miles from the White House. And I would sometimes get one or two of our teachers and we would drive -- in our own cars -- some of our needy students into D.C. for cultural experiences that they would not otherwise have. The first time I did that, three of us drove a dozen or so students down to see the lighting of the national Christmas tree. As we drove toward the White House, several of the students in my car exclaimed, "What is that!" I said, "That's the Washington Monument". 7 miles from D.C., and these kids had never gone down into the city because their parents couldn't afford the time due to working not one, but two jobs.

And yet we had parents who thought anyone could afford a trip to Hawaii. That's privilege. The total unawareness of how other people live and survive.

Last edited by phetaroi; 11-18-2020 at 10:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
No, the exact quote was DD was always the "confrontational" one.

Note the quotes, especially in context of what was said.

The fact that you had to take the quote out of context is not only showing disrespect, it is your usual confrontational crusade against anybody who does not agree with you.

Should you be lecturing people on good manners when you lack them yourself?
I agree. "Confrontational" is often in the eye of the beholder.

Old 11-18-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Speaking of education...

Indoctrination and education used to be synonymous. Webster’s 1913 dictionary defines indoctrination as "instruction in the rudiments and principles of any science or system of belief." It was well into the 20th century before the word widely took on negative connotations. Today, although we know that indoctrination is bad, the concept is often fuzzily defined.

https://community.chronicle.com/news...id-it-in-class
I think it has to be fuzzy. I don't think there is a distinct line in the sand.

In my school, we were required to do the Pledge on the morning announcements each day. That was indoctrination.
That was followed by announcements, and then my 'thought for the day'...a sort of uplifting thing (that we had actually purchased) that dealt with topics such as the Golden Rule. They were designed, however, to bridge cultures and show commonalities. I guess they bordered on indoctrination, but I would have been hard pressed to figure out what the concept was they were indoctrinating.

Old 11-18-2020, 10:11 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
But this I cannot agree with or does it make sense to me.
Let me ask you, Diesel, if the human "mind of Jesus Christ" has all the characteristics of the "mind of God" and you wanted to tell this to our primitive ancestors (who knew nothing about "minds"), how would you say it? Would you say, "If you know Jesus, you know God?" How would they interpret that? Wouldn't they see that as a claim that Jesus IS God? In their primitive ignorance, wouldn't they create a bunch of jargon to explain this mystery?

Old 11-18-2020, 11:30 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
I thought 'danke' meant thank you. That's what it seemed to mean last time I was in Germany...

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/DANKE
It's the equivalent of 'Bless your heart' in America. or 'Drive carefully' in the Uk.

Old 11-18-2020, 11:47 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
I thought 'danke' meant thank you. That's what it seemed to mean last time I was in Germany...

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/DANKE
Yes, it means 'thank you', but we use it to mean 'no thank you'. My English friend was once asked if he wanted another beer and said 'yes, thank you'. The waitress must have been confused and took the thank you to mean 'no, thank you', because when the next round came, he did not get a beer.

Old 11-18-2020, 12:30 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
So it is privilege

Can you list the government employees that are out atheist/nonbeliever compare to the outspoken xians in the USA government?

Please try and be honest
If there is one thing your world view has to do ... its avoid rigors in honesty Last.

"compared to", so what Last, I couldn't care less what out spoken religious people say. You are defined by them.

You seem like you are convincing yourself more than anything last.

You are not owed anything by my family. Blame your parents, not religion.

Old 11-18-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Could you explain what you think 'privileged' means in this context?
google it.

An atheist wont win, but they can run. "privrelge" is an attempt to shift responsibility of a person from what they are doing to what others owe them, via a guilt trip.

Old 11-18-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'll give you a good example of privilege. The school where I was principal was one of the top schools in my state (as in top 5-10%), and we had odd boundary lines that had been designed, at least in part, to bring balance to the school population in terms of race and income. We had power-broker parents (as in senators, an about-to-be vice president, an NFL superstar, and a governor and former 'first-daughter' of a president of the United States). We also had a couple of neighborhoods where there was Latino gang activity (although far from the worst in that region), and low income apartment that were primarily rented by Black families where both mother and father worked and, in some cases, held down two jobs.

We were a middle school, and at the end of the eighth grade year we held an eighth grade party (the school system did not allow middle school graduation parties). The eighth grade parties were what was then called "semi-formal", held in the school cafeteria, had a professional DJ, a classy level of refreshments, and separate rooms from the cafeteria for socializing and games. Always very pleasant. I was able to give out free tickets to students who were in the free lunch program, and half-price tickets to those on the reduced-price lunch program (although that was not generally known).

We were located in the Washington, D.C. area. And one spring a group of our parents came to me and said they had a proposal -- that the eighth grade party (just a simple 8th grade party) should that year be held in Oahu. There was not even an awareness on the part of these parents that we had poor kids in our school. They just assumed that everyone could afford to fly to Oahu and pay for a hotel for several days for a 3 hour party.

On the other hand, the number of times that I learned, and re-learned how needy some of students were never ceased to amaze me. Our school was approximately 7 miles from the White House. And I would sometimes get one or two of our teachers and we would drive -- in our own cars -- some of our needy students into D.C. for cultural experiences that they would not otherwise have. The first time I did that, three of us drove a dozen or so students down to see the lighting of the national Christmas tree. As we drove toward the White House, several of the students in my car exclaimed, "What is that!" I said, "That's the Washington Monument". 7 miles from D.C., and these kids had never gone down into the city because their parents couldn't afford the time due to working not one, but two jobs.

And yet we had parents who thought anyone could afford a trip to Hawaii. That's privilege. The total unawareness of how other people live and survive.
none of this is a special right.

you can call them ignorant and insensitive, but there is no special right granted or removed.

Old 11-18-2020, 12:57 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It's the equivalent of 'Bless your heart' in America. or 'Drive carefully' in the Uk.
Oh, I like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality