Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 05:20 PM

9,666 posts, read 9,929,774 times

Advertisements

The letter name IHSOYS means Jesus, or abbreviation of IHS Means Jesus ...... So taking out the letter I would be like taking out the saviour name in Christianity or a denial of Jesus Christ

Old 11-12-2020, 08:58 PM

5,528 posts, read 3,202,833 times
"Chrstn" sounds like the name of a Fallout Boy song.

Old 11-13-2020, 07:17 AM

32,530 posts, read 21,846,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
LOL, no. Did you?

I did check some Jewish websites that I'm accustomed to frequenting. Which is why I posted about the Rebbe in the OP.
Nah, I didn’t...I often wonder if folks on here bothered googling before posting here...

Old 11-13-2020, 07:34 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,838,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Nah, I didn’t...I often wonder if folks on here bothered googling before posting here...
I sometimes wonder whether folks bother verifying the websites that they google their information from, before posting on these forums.

Old 11-13-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I sometimes wonder whether folks bother verifying the websites that they google their information from, before posting on these forums.
Yea, sometimes it looks as if they ran with the first one that came up and didn’t bother doing a comparative study...I try to do a deep dive and get my ducks in a row beforehand...Like some folks like to through up ‘expert’ scholars and then point out that they were Jewish and raised Jewish, then, at 19 converted to Christianity without having attended a Yeshiva, but, they were raised Jewish so that makes them an “expert” in Judaism...I’d say people have a tendency to post websites because the material on those websites corroborates what they, themselves, believe, without ever looking into the possibility that what they believe may not be valid... Like those around here that like to throw Christian ’experts’ at folks stating that they know the Tanakh better than the Jewish sages, and that the Jewish sages were wrong or misled...If you want to know about Judaism, you talk to a practicing Jew, not a Christian...Same thing with any other religion...Christianity may have well been a sect of Judaism, but not for very long, it went off in its own direction far away from its roots and became a new religion, thus severing its ties to Judaism, if there were any...

Now back to your regularly scheduled program...

Old 11-13-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Yea, sometimes it looks as if they ran with the first one that came up and didn’t bother doing a comparative study...I try to do a deep dive and get my ducks in a row beforehand...Like some folks like to through up ‘expert’ scholars and then point out that they were Jewish and raised Jewish, then, at 19 converted to Christianity without having attended a Yeshiva, but, they were raised Jewish so that makes them an “expert” in Judaism...I’d say people have a tendency to post websites because the material on those websites corroborates what they, themselves, believe, without ever looking into the possibility that what they believe may not be valid... Like those around here that like to throw Christian ’experts’ at folks stating that they know the Tanakh better than the Jewish sages, and that the Jewish sages were wrong or misled...If you want to know about Judaism, you talk to a practicing Jew, not a Christian...Same thing with any other religion...Christianity may have well been a sect of Judaism, but not for very long, it went off in its own direction far away from its roots and became a new religion, thus severing its ties to Judaism, if there were any...

Now back to your regularly scheduled program...
Yes, I know what you mean about the Christian "experts" who attempt to school Jews in the Tanakh. It's hard to keep a straight face when one sees that.

Old 11-13-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel newyork View Post
yes, i know what you mean about the christian "experts" who attempt to school jews in the tanakh. It's hard to keep a straight face when one sees that.
:d...

Old 11-15-2020, 08:47 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,013,000 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F42y5PgxhZs

Old 11-15-2020, 09:33 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,342,472 times
I'm about as "pro-Chrstian" a Jew as you'll ever find. But I would never ever spell out the full word, as halachically it's considered a form of supporting or promoting idol worship. I don't spell the word differently to send a message to the Chrstians. I simply do it to maintain my world to come. Sorry, no hate or conspiracy, if that's what people were looking for.

Old 11-15-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I'm about as "pro-Chrstian" a Jew as you'll ever find. But I would never ever spell out the full word, as halachically it's considered a form of supporting or promoting idol worship. I don't spell the word differently to send a message to the Chrstians. I simply do it to maintain my world to come. Sorry, no hate or conspiracy, if that's what people were looking for.
Thanks for the explanation. Could you please provide a link to this halachic ruling? Or at least name the rabbi who taught you this? Or is this something that you decided on your own?

Did you see my post previously in this topic regarding the Rebbe's use of the word "Christian"? Do you think that the Rebbe was not educated in halacha?

If you had a friend named Christopher or Christine, would you feel a need to write their names without vowels, as well?

Are you aware that the word "Christ" is merely a title? And if one does not happen to believe that Jesus was Moshiach, then the title of "Christ" for Jesus is rendered meaningless to us?

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 11-15-2020 at 09:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality