Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2020, 12:12 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I'm brain dead I guess not seeing you as the only one who knows anything.

I see you only trying to shuttle yet another thread because it's not all about you.

I refuse to discuss you simple word game even you use advanced words it's still a cheap simple word game crafted so you cannot be debated with.
he never shuttles anything to me? we talked about the science (I can't wait till me and you can talk about his actual claim) all I say is you call the universe god and I don't. In fact, other than the word god I think his god isn't even a god.

Old 12-03-2020, 12:16 PM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
As an comparable example... there is no credible evidence that life exists outside of Earth, yet we continue to search.
But we have life here, so we know it exists. So it is not really comparable.

Quote:
Evidence is finite, belief isn't. One is bound by the barrier of knowledge the other has no bounds and opens the mind to endless possibility of discovery.
And endless inventions and wishful thinking.

Old 12-03-2020, 12:23 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
Quote:
As an comparable example... there is no credible evidence that life exists outside of Earth, yet we continue to search.

Evidence is finite, belief isn't. One is bound by the barrier of knowledge the other has no bounds and opens the mind to endless possibility of discovery
Once one has reached their barrier I do not understand their continued need to bar others from searching. That's like a senior picking on a juvenile. Or like someone who has had their fill of the buffet and now wants to issue out the items on the buffet as they so desire to others.

Old 12-03-2020, 12:31 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times
Quote:

Evidence is finite, belief isn't. One is bound by the barrier of knowledge the other has no bounds and opens the mind to endless possibility of discovery.
Agreed. There is, as yet, no credible evidence of life outside of Earth. And yet life flourishes on Earth. So life elsewhere in the universe stands as a real possibility. Naturally we will continue to search.

Evidence can be limited in it's scope, that's true. But evidence far surpasses make believe in the struggle to make sense of it all.

Old 12-03-2020, 12:34 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
he never shuttles anything to me? we talked about the science (I can't wait till me and you can talk about his actual claim) all I say is you call the universe god and I don't. In fact, other than the word god I think his god isn't even a god.
It is minimally God, Arach, because it is WHY we and everything even exist as well as controlling through its laws how everything functions as opposed to pure chaos. Others can want more attributes, but those are irrefutable ones and would meet the minimal traits of God relative to us to anyone being objective.

Old 12-03-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Agreed. There is, as yet, no credible evidence of life outside of Earth. And yet life flourishes on Earth. So life elsewhere in the universe stands as a real possibility. Naturally we will continue to search.

Evidence can be limited in it's scope, that's true. But evidence far surpasses make believe in the struggle to make sense of it all.
When scientist say "What we think may have happened here..." and then proceed on to make bold claims it is same caliber of make belief to which you so often refer and it can have serious repercussion for various populations.

Old 12-03-2020, 12:43 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
When scientist say "What we think may have happened here..." and then proceed on to make bold claims it is same caliber of make belief to which you so often refer and it can have serious repercussion for various populations.
It doesn't seem to me as if "What we think may have happened here..." and "make bold claims" goes together.

I would say christians are the ones making bold claims with only one ancient document to back those claims up.

Old 12-03-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It doesn't seem to me as if "What we think may have happened here..." and "make bold claims" goes together.

I would say christians are the ones making bold claims with only one ancient document to back those claims up.
Whatever you say. I don't want to risk you having to report me again.

Old 12-03-2020, 12:48 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
First let me say that I consider a healthy dose of skepticism to be a good thing. Necessary even. Atheists tend to be defined and unified by their skepticism. But accepting what the evidence has to tell us, even if grudgingly, is really the only way we have to advance our knowledge. Subscribing to a make believe view of reality on a large scale can have serious repercussions for the entire world.

Old 12-03-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
First let me say that I consider a healthy dose of skepticism to be a good thing. Necessary even. Atheists tend to be defined and unified by their skepticism. But accepting what the evidence has to tell us, even if grudgingly, is really the only way we have to advance our knowledge. Subscribing to a make believe view of reality on a large scale can have serious repercussions for the entire world.
There's no 'atheist us' besides these forums and we are all adults. The truth is some adults are angry that other adults hold various beliefs and they would prefer they not be discussed.
For some people allowing diverse discussions is a threat. That is something I will always fight as I age because it is an ongoing stigma that as we age the more rigid we become in our thinking, but that does not apply to everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality