Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 07:24 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,032,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
No. This forum in no way reflects the real world. The posters that generally post here are generally devoted to their worldviews until death does them part. Some have been doing this for over 40+ years. And I do not mean this as any slight but what I have learned is that some adults never grow up. They are like children in that their happiness and truth depends on others. Who knew if you believe/think so and so or reject so and so you could be so deeply be hated?!
NO is your response to the OP? is that what you learned, to be so judgemental?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2020, 07:26 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
NO is your response to the OP? is that what you learned, to be so judgemental?
I should have apologized in advance for often times not being politically correct.

Old 11-22-2020, 08:36 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I just deleted 21 off-topic, ridiculous posts that were nothing but bickering back and forth and had nothing to do with the topic.

It stops now or infractions will be issued for further off-topic remarks, and that includes any responses to this post.

Old 11-22-2020, 08:41 AM

19,036 posts, read 27,607,234 times
No change in me.
Maybe even slight increased firmness in what I follow, as I see tids and bits of it in many opinions on various walks of religious/spiritual lives.

Old 11-22-2020, 12:10 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
I may say that I have learned a lot about some arguments related to the cosmic mind' (as distinct from a religion -specific god) which is always more of an imponderable than the frankly mythical god or the Bible.

I can't say that I came out of the 'qualia' discussion other than inclined to think it was no more than a remaining unexplained about how sense -perception worked, which is really the whole 'what is consciousness' question, which in turn is a gap for god. Neither am I bothered by the quantum -woo stuff or even the holographic universe. Even as a kid I knew that atoms were mostly nothing and (I strongly suspected) were made of nothing.

But the idea of particle interconnectednes (no doubt related to indeterminacy one way and the Cosmic Mind the other way - and I was struck by the video posted with Dawkins saying that something outside the brain had to be necessary for consciousness) is something i'm keeping an eye on. Many of the old arguments are done, though they keep coming back (i'm just waiting for the next 'Noah's Ark found!' flurry), but morality for instance is done and dusted and that was far from the case in the Old Days.

Old 11-22-2020, 12:22 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I may say that I have learned a lot about some arguments related to the cosmic mind' (as distinct from a religion -specific god) which is always more of an imponderable than the frankly mythical god or the Bible.

I can't say that I came out of the 'qualia' discussion other than inclined to think it was no more than a remaining unexplained about how sense -perception worked, which is really the whole 'what is consciousness' question, which in turn is a gap for god. Neither am I bothered by the quantum -woo stuff or even the holographic universe. Even as a kid I knew that atoms were mostly nothing and (I strongly suspected) were made of nothing.

But the idea of particle interconnectednes (no doubt related to indeterminacy one way and the Cosmic Mind the other way - and I was struck by the video posted with Dawkins saying that something outside the brain had to be necessary for consciousness) is something i'm keeping an eye on. Many of the old arguments are done, though they keep coming back (i'm just waiting for the next 'Noah's Ark found!' flurry), but morality for instance is done and dusted and that was far from the case in the Old Days.
I learned, from you, that the notion we are in a living system matches what we see the best. Its predicts people thinking exactly what you said here.

I learned, form your house example, that if I am the wall of the house that wall is experiences the house in much the same way we say your big toe isnt aware but you are aware.

Old 11-22-2020, 12:41 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,928,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
The recent passing of one of our long time members of the forum had me thinking about old conversations from years ago. I thought about how my viewpoint and understanding of others has evolved.

I'm more solid in my atheism than ever I was but I have a far better understanding of why others believe what they do. It really was a completely mystery to me before. It's actually helped me make peace with it in my own mind. A bit like checking off a box mentally and being able to put it aside.
I understand now how people are able to embrace science AND believe in god at the same time.
I understand how religions which to me are (sorry) completely bonkers can, in the minds of those people, enhance their lives and make them better people. In fact I think they would have been great people without their religion, but if people want to belive that their religion is the cause, I'm not going to argue with that.

I'm interested to know what others have learned from being a part of the forum?
My view of my religion actually hasn't changed from spending time on this forum (although my understanding of the person of Jesus continues to evolve as I study his word and pray), but I do appreciate your kind and thoughtful post. While atheists and theists are far apart in their ways of thinking and how they understand the world there is no reason why we cannot respect each other's differences and engage in conversations that are not condescending or antagonistic toward one another. It seems by your post that you would be able to engage in respectful, non-hateful discussions.

And while as a Christian I weep to know that you have not accepted Jesus into your heart, I will continue to pray and show you his love and compassion. God's kingdom is built by acts of mercy, either directly his own or those which he works through his children. There is too much hatred in the world. God continues to draw his children out from the world when they see there is no hope to be found in this life. Yet followers of Jesus need to display the peace that is found in the Lord in every situation and extend that peace toward others whether they be fellow believers or not (they may actively display a hatred of God).

Your post shows a peaceful disposition that believers yearn to be found in everyone. Thank you for letting us know of the kindness you have in your heart toward others.

Old 11-22-2020, 01:17 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

It is good to see some cracks in the mental concrete of pragmatism that has clouded your understanding of the actual issues involving consciousness, Arq. If you ever reach the point where you recognize that all that exists are various states (manifestations) of field (measured as energy/mass/momentum) much of your current confusion might be mitigated. What we experience as mass and matter exist at the low energy end (physical "traffic jams") and so-called particles, consciousness, and pure energy exist at the high energy end (quantum level). This was the point of my using a "speed" analogy to represent it.

Old 11-23-2020, 06:24 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
(although my understanding of the person of Jesus continues to evolve as I study his word and pray),
. Yet followers of Jesus need to display the peace that is found in the Lord in every situation and extend that peace toward others whether they be fellow believers or not (they may actively display a hatred of God).

Your post shows a peaceful disposition that believers yearn to be found in everyone. Thank you for letting us know of the kindness you have in your heart toward others.
Each person’s spiritual journey follows its own path, just as you are evolving through your study and understanding of Jesus and his words. You may come to understand that the Presence that you call God is within every aspect of his creation, and all of it is within it and there is no other, regardless of what each of us believe in our own experience. The variety of our religious experiences is a testament to the existence of the Presence.
Thank you for a thoughtful post.

Old 11-23-2020, 09:05 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
My views of religion and spirituality haven't changed one bit in the years I've been on this forum. The foundations of those personally are many levels beyond (and above) anything here.

That's hilarious; the notion of somehow trying to put this forum (the internet and opinions) on the same level of deep personal experiences.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 11-23-2020 at 09:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality