Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More or less toward religion and spirituality?
More 5 55.56%
Less 4 44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 01:32 PM

50,798 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Absolutely and you have explained it perfectly with Distancing. I think that is because religion is entirely about controlling behavior for the sake of preservation of a society, protection of the weaker. Spirituality is really about freedom, not control. And it is all about one self, whereas religion is all about others, the institution. However they are also connected because it is within the religions that the texts reside, the thoughts of those who have experienced spiritual heights, have experienced reality.
You think that what Catholicism did to native peoples in South, Latin, and North America protected the weaker?

Old 11-23-2020, 01:46 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I hesitated to answer this because often when an atheist (and I don't mean you in particular) points toward "emotions" when people speak of spirituality, it's meant as a sneer and dismissal, as if feeling emotion automatically negates spirituality.

... nipped for space ...

we middle of the roaders need to stand up and be heard mighty. Not speaking up because "atheist may do this" and "some theist are so obnoxious I just don't want to say how I feel." is putting a reasonable solution out of sight.

standing up to pathologic makes the few look pathological. Its why we are stuck, we let the two sides run a muck.

Old 11-23-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You think that what Catholicism did to native peoples in South, Latin, and North America protected the weaker?
nothing to do with it phet.

bad people did bad things ... to steal you phrase ... so what.

good people did good things.

Old 11-23-2020, 01:55 PM

50,798 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
nothing to do with it phet.

bad people did bad things ... to steal you phrase ... so what.

good people did good things.
No, he said: "religion is entirely about controlling behavior for the sake of preservation of a society, protection of the weaker.

I am pointing out a case -- a very broad case -- where religion intentionally abused the weaker.

Old 11-23-2020, 01:57 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
No, it isn't that. It is more an understanding of what this feeling is (and as a music - lover, you can be sure I know all about emotion) and pointing out that this is fine and dandy and worthwhile as it is, but understood for what it is, but we have to make a chess -move against any attempt to use this to validate, justify or underpin any claims of Something More (Cosmic mind or suchlike) (1).

Just as we have to block any efforts to make a case for Something More by discrediting the 'This is emotion' alternative hypothesis by calling it "sneer and dismissal".

(1) and I do hope that this won't be in itself attacked as 'Godphobia' or even 'anti -atheism'.
These feelings you and MQ are discussing are mere shadows of the underlying Reality as were even my meditation experiences, as powerful and compelling as they were. Phrases like "through a mirror darkly" and such vastly understate it. Your reference to chess moves reveals the mindset that you bring to this issue. The dangers that some religious beliefs can pose to human society can understandably motivate such a mindset, but to DENY that it is some sort of Godophobia is disingenuous.

Old 11-23-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
No, he said: "religion is entirely about controlling behavior for the sake of preservation of a society, protection of the weaker.

I am pointing out a case -- a very broad case -- where religion intentionally abused the weaker.
again ... good religious people do good things. bad ones do bad things ... belief has nothing to do with it.

Catholics are fighting for social change ... religious people are down at all those protest and celebrations for the win. (and spreading covid .. a small factoid they leave out of the news ... thanks activist) ) point that out too.

Old 11-23-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
These feelings you and MQ are discussing are mere shadows of the underlying Reality as were even my meditation experiences, as powerful and compelling as they were. Phrases like "through a mirror darkly" and such vastly understate it. Your reference to chess moves reveals the mindset that you bring to this issue. The dangers that some religious beliefs can pose to human society can understandably motivate such a mindset, but to DENY that it is some sort of Godophobia is disingenuous.
I have a feeling we are connected to a larger more complex system.

can they show how their feeling that we are not out weights my feeling we are?

Old 11-23-2020, 02:35 PM

15,963 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:
again ... good religious people do good things. bad ones do bad things ... belief has nothing to do with it.

Catholics are fighting for social change ... religious people are down at all those protest and celebrations for the win. (and spreading covid .. a small factoid they leave out of the news ... thanks activist) ) point that out too.
yes, exactly

Old 11-23-2020, 02:44 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:

Old 11-23-2020, 08:12 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:

Exactly. A perfect example of evolving social humanism making the previous religious and autocrat - dominated societies better and then religions claiming all the credit for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality