Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 09:22 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Kewl!

We can burn witches and own people again.

Afreakenmen
We never burned witches here. That was a European Christian thing.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:36 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Judeo-Christian theology is and should be the basis for all secular laws in western societies. I would go so far as to say all true morality comes from Judeo-Christian foundations. Many disagree with me.
One of the things that has been discussed recently on this forum is the concept of 'christian privilege'.

Thank you for presenting such a perfect example of that concept.

Those of you who said there is no such thing as christian privilege...here you go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2020, 09:39 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Good point. A matter that often pops up here is the 'Golden Rule'. This is so often claimed to be an example of Jesus' superior morality, but it is pointed out that the NT saying appears to be the Golden Rule as expressed by the Pharisee Hillel, before Jesus' time. And other versions of the Golden Rule have been arrived at in other earlier societies.

It is in fact a common human conclusion reflecting the ethical principle of reciprocity upon which human society (in a workable form) is based.
Time for this again, I guess:

Old 11-29-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Good point. A matter that often pops up here is the 'Golden Rule'. This is so often claimed to be an example of Jesus' superior morality, but it is pointed out that the NT saying appears to be the Golden Rule as expressed by the Pharisee Hillel, before Jesus' time. And other versions of the Golden Rule have been arrived at in other earlier societies.

It is in fact a common human conclusion reflecting the ethical principle of reciprocity upon which human society (in a workable form) is based.
This was one of the frequent themes of a package of 'thoughts for the day' that I bought for my school to use at the end of the morning announcements. The 'thoughts' lasted about a minute and were typically uplifting or anti-bullying, etc. But the ones about the golden rule as a basis for living in MANY foreign cultures was one of the themes that I found most interesting.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I guess the millions of Christians being persecuted today just brought it upon themselves, right?

This confirms in my heart that the atrocities you speak of came from the desires of people more like yourself, rather than any believers.
It is difficult for christians when they are not the controlling factor of a culture, isn't it.

Now if they could see that for cultures where they do predominate they would have learned something very valuable.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
That is a reasonable thought. However religion has also been the source for wickedness and reckless evil visited on people, men, women and children in its name both in the east and west. Which religion is the source of the idea of equality of all men and women? of Human Rights? the answer is none, not a single one. the fact that we still struggle with application of the concept shows the pernicious effect religious codes in our psyche.
for once we're in agreement

Old 11-29-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We never burned witches here. That was a European Christian thing.
No, but what happened in Salem still wasn't pretty.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:51 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,856,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It is difficult for christians when they are not the controlling factor of a culture, isn't it.

Now if they could see that for cultures where they do predominate they would have learned something very valuable.
Why does it seem as if you approve of persecution?

Old 11-29-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Why does it seem as if you approve of persecution?
No. What I am acknowledging is karma.

The persecution that christians suffer is no worse than the persecution christians have caused.

Old 11-29-2020, 10:09 AM

16,761 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Judeo-Christian theology is and should be the basis for all secular laws in western societies.
Judeo-Christian is actually Judeo-Hellenism, as that is what Christianity is. And the basis for many secular laws can be found in ancient Greece philosophy, not theology.

Quote:
I would go so far as to say all true morality comes from Judeo-Christian foundations. Many disagree with me.
Morality comes from people, and is adopted by religions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality