Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2020, 12:32 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Think you’re wrong but we can agree it’s a jesusgod thing with burning witches and owning people, right?

Can I get an amen!
I'm not wrong! But if you can find an example of witches being burned in the USA, let me know. And yes, pretty sure that was a Christian thing, and not just with witches. Bloody Mary was burning Protestants in Merrie Olde England because they were the wrong kind of Christian.

Owning people predates Christianity. Christianity just put a new justification twist on it. Of course, to be fair, we also have to mention that Christianity opposed slavery and fought against it, thereby demonstrating that Christianity can be modified to support any view.

Old 11-29-2020, 01:32 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm not wrong! But if you can find an example of witches being burned in the USA, let me know. And yes, pretty sure that was a Christian thing, and not just with witches. Bloody Mary was burning Protestants in Merrie Olde England because they were the wrong kind of Christian.

Owning people predates Christianity. Christianity just put a new justification twist on it. Of course, to be fair, we also have to mention that Christianity opposed slavery and fought against it, thereby demonstrating that Christianity can be modified to support any view.
I addition in most of the so called Christian nations the fight against slavery did not involve soldiers killing other soldiers but votes in Parliaments or Royal decrees. Occurring both before and after the American Civil War.

And speaking about Christainity being able to be modified , take a look at how different countries with Christian majorities have viewed capital punishment. I believe it was banned in Canada in the 60s or early 70s and banned much earlier in some European countries earlier. Or the different stances on SSM.

One argument against having religion being the source of laws is, of course which religion. Using Canada for example our two largest denominations are Roman Catholic and United Church of Canada, a conservative one and a very liberal one. Oposite sides of major issues such as SSM, abortion, doctor assisted suicide, gay rights . As a non believing Jew I was married in the United Church with little question and we were even told that we didn't require marrage cou cilling because as we were already living together we already knew more than he did. My wife's family are a wedding and funeral Christians. And since our marriage most of our own church attendance has been for weddings and funerals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2020, 02:28 PM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You know that isn't true. We all agree the holocaust was wrong. We know it was immoral.
Godwin's Law is is proven once again. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

Old 11-29-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You know that isn't true. We all agree the holocaust was wrong. We know it was immoral.
Did the Christians , the majority living in Germany, believe that the Halocaust was immoral during that time? Did Westerners think the rounding up of Jews, atheists, Gym pies and Communists by the Nazis was wrong at that time? Or the rounding up of Japanese Americans and Japanese Canadians by us was wrong and immoral?

Canada and Britain went to war against Germany because they invaded Poland, not for the immoral things they were doing to minorities. Your country went to was against them because the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbour not for those immoral things the Germans were doing.

Regardless of how bad some secular governments may end up being, is there anything with laws sourced from religion that would protect the rights of minorities?

Old 11-29-2020, 02:55 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Did the Christians , the majority living in Germany, believe that the Halocaust was immoral during that time? Did Westerners think the rounding up of Jews, atheists, Gym pies and Communists by the Nazis was wrong at that time? Or the rounding up of Japanese Americans and Japanese Canadians by us was wrong and immoral?

Canada and Britain went to war against Germany because they invaded Poland, not for the immoral things they were doing to minorities. Your country went to was against them because the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbour not for those immoral things the Germans were doing.

Regardless of how bad some secular governments may end up being, is there anything with laws sourced from religion that would protect the rights of minorities?
It would be hard to imagine based on events as depicted in the OT.

Old 11-29-2020, 03:22 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Religion does not just come into existence like god. It is at best thoughts expressed in words, heard, understood, written down, commanded, interpreted, translated, misunderstood, misinterpreted. At every stage it is transformed into something that may bear little resemblance to original thought. This is why it is an unreliable source for secular society. It is a source only for spirituality experienced at individual level.
yup ...

Old 11-29-2020, 03:25 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post

As a mater of fact they did bad lander.

rational believers stand up to and stop that stuff. They have through all of history.

What stopped the irrational non believers through history? oh yeah, they ran out of bodies.

look at how the creational believers rebuilt those countries badland. Your beloved anti-god countries ... look at how they handled themselves when they win. good job by you guys.

against "minorities", your country may suck but the rational believers in our country have been standing up since day one.

Old 11-29-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
As a mater of fact they did bad lander.

rational believers stand up to and stop that stuff. They have through all of history.

What stopped the irrational non believers through history? oh yeah, they ran out of bodies.

look at how the creational believers rebuilt those countries badland. Your beloved anti-god countries ... look at how they handled themselves when they win. good job by you guys.

against "minorities", your country may suck but the rational believers in our country have been standing up since day one.
If we only count the goals the Red Wings scored and not the goals they let in they were a great team last year.

You are only booking at the times

the rational people won and ignoring when they didn't as well as only looking at the believers who you side with and ignoring those you didnt, as well as excluding non believers from even existing..

S9 you believe that minorities are treated much better in your Country than in Canada? Risking being called anti American if o stick up for Canada some points to remember we were the terminus for the underground railway as slavery was already banned here. We reconnized SSM a decade before your country, dourabours left you northern plains for religious freedom, we did not need all those marches and protests in order to have civil rights I the 60s, we slowed a far greater number of Syrian refugees here and we have a greater number of minorities in our cabinets

Our treatment of natives, the Japanese interment and the refusal of the ship full of Jewish refugees at the beginning of the war are some of our failures for minority . I have no problem stating were my country does wrong or where it needs to improve. I have no clue which god hating country you claim I love. Another one of your claims based on some unknown hatred you have for me and any ideas I might express

During these BLM times all of our governments and most police departmentshave admitted they need to do better and faced the protests as protests and not attack the protesters. Can you say the same for your country.

I sometimes wonder 8f your country set of gas chambers to deal with atheists that you wouldn't be one of the volunteers for being a guard, your hatred and anger are so strong and appear to getting even stronger.

I'll let posters from Iceland, Scotland, New Zealand and Sweden defend themselves from your claims of how bad their countries are.

Old 11-29-2020, 04:21 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
A friendly reminder not to let this thread go political or it will have to be closed. Thanks.

Old 11-29-2020, 06:48 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, but it also wasn't the USA at the time, either.
That's like saying that the religious persecutions in My country never happened because the United Kingdom was only signed into being later on. It was Us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality