Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 11:15 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes. I did read it. And the writer has heartburn because only 60% of the state is Mormon, while voting in close to 90% of elected officials.

So what? What's the problem? Do they legislate a requirement to be Mormon? How is this specifically a bad thing? Does the Mormon prophet dictate to them how to legislate?

Or is just that you can't stand the idea of a state being represented by religious people?
I'm signing off now, but before I do, let's get a few things straight...

I simply noted the article tends to "raise the same sort of questions." I didn't comment about anything being wrong, but I can't say there aren't some issues worth at least some consideration, for discussion if nothing else.

A good deal of my wife's side of the family is there, in SLC, so I know plenty about living in Utah, being in Utah, and there is nothing about that I "can't stand." As the article simply points out, the Mormon church has had an impact on government there, by way of over-representation in their government by members of the Mormon church.

Most people in government claim to belong to one religion or another, but we are a secular country for a reason, so where secularism is undermined by religious influence, one might consider that a problem.

For me personally, no big surprise and nothing I'll lose sleep over, but to suggest no problem or issue whatsoever is not to understand these problems or issues. I mean have you tried buying a bottle of beer in a supermarket in Utah? I guess that's not a problem for people who don't like beer, or who don't mind having to drive who-knows-where to find a six-pack, but again as I said before. Depends on who you ask. Ask my relatives there who are "Jack Mormons," and they'd tell you if it's not a problem, it's a bit ridiculous!

There are some women mentioned in the article who thought there was something of a problem as well. A more serious problem. Far as they were concerned anyway...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2021, 11:25 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I'm signing off now, but before I do, let's get a few things straight...

I simply noted the article tends to "raise the same sort of questions." I didn't comment about anything being wrong, but I can't say there aren't some issues worth at least some consideration, for discussion if nothing else.

A good deal of my wife's side of the family is there, in SLC, so I know plenty about living in Utah, being in Utah, and there is nothing about that I "can't stand." As the article simply points out, the Mormon church has had an impact on government there, by way of over-representation in their government by members of the Mormon church.

Most people in government claim to belong to one religion or another, but we are a secular country for a reason, so where secularism is undermined by religious influence, one might consider that a problem.

For me personally, no big surprise and nothing I'll lose sleep over, but to suggest no problem or issue whatsoever is not to understand these problems or issues. I mean have you tried buying a bottle of beer in a supermarket in Utah? I guess that's not a problem for people who don't like beer, or who don't mind having to drive who-knows-where to find a six-pack, but again as I said before. Depends on who you ask. Ask my relatives there who are "Jack Mormons," and they'd tell you if it's not a problem, it's a bit ridiculous!

There are some women mentioned in the article who thought there was something of a problem as well. A more serious problem. Far as they were concerned anyway...
At this point, there are some statistics....and some anecdotes. The issue I have is that you apparently, as well as the article, draws a cause/effect of religion and laws. There seems to be a suggestion that the laws that exist are there because the LDS Church tells them to make them. That would be a violation of the Constitution. But to have religious people vote according to their conscience or to have legislators enact laws due to their conscience, while not directly acting as agents of the church, does not violate any law.

Old 01-14-2021, 11:50 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
At this point, there are some statistics....and some anecdotes. The issue I have is that you apparently, as well as the article, draws a cause/effect of religion and laws. There seems to be a suggestion that the laws that exist are there because the LDS Church tells them to make them. That would be a violation of the Constitution. But to have religious people vote according to their conscience or to have legislators enact laws due to their conscience, while not directly acting as agents of the church, does not violate any law.
The issue I have is with you arguing as if with me. I never suggested any laws were being violated. I do have something of an issue with straw man arguments however...

There is also a bit of an issue with respect to what the problem(s) actually may be other than as you seem able to understand or accept. At a simple minimum, there is always something wrong according to some people no matter how legislators vote, according to their conscience or not. Especially when the secular laws dictated by our constitution are arguably being undermined by religious doctrine. What is either right or wrong in these regards is also a matter of some debate in any case. Again also depending on who you ask.

Seems we're "talking apples and oranges" in any case, and I've got to sign off now, so here's to enjoying whichever fruit you prefer until perhaps we meet again.

Old 01-14-2021, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
The issue I have is with you arguing as if with me. I never suggested any laws were being violated. I do have something of an issue with straw man arguments however...

There is also a bit of an issue with respect to what the problem(s) actually may be other than as you seem able to understand or accept. At a simple minimum, there is always something wrong according to some people no matter how legislators vote, according to their conscience or not. Especially when the secular laws dictated by our constitution are arguably being undermined by religious doctrine. What is either right or wrong in these regards is also a matter of some debate in any case. Again also depending on who you ask.

Seems we're "talking apples and oranges" in any case, and I've got to sign off now, so here's to enjoying whichever fruit you prefer until perhaps we meet again.
You posted the article that seems to suggest there was an issue. I'm just asking questions.

Old 01-14-2021, 12:09 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Get religion out of politics, there are MANY good people who are not religious...I've met a lot of ugly religious people.

Old 01-14-2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Get religion out of politics, there are MANY good people who are not religious...I've met a lot of ugly religious people.
In my state we have a rather rude, obnoxious non-religious person that stirs up trouble in our legislature. So, it goes both ways.

Old 01-14-2021, 12:43 PM

50,813 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
In my state we have a rather rude, obnoxious non-religious person that stirs up trouble in our legislature. So, it goes both ways.
That doesn't excuse you folks. In fact, you folks ought to be held to a higher standard.

Old 01-14-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That doesn't excuse you folks. In fact, you folks ought to be held to a higher standard.
My, aren't WE feeling smug and self-righteous?

Old 01-14-2021, 12:53 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Both sides avoid calling out their own.

Something about "ok, we will keep our feet on the ground." meaning rooted in what we agree on. While the aggressive crusaders (atheist or theist) run a muck. We need to keep aggressive activism atheist out of state rule making also. Separation of statement of belief about god.

Old 01-14-2021, 01:17 PM

50,813 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
My, aren't WE feeling smug and self-righteous?
Hey representing god. Based on that, you ought to hold yourselves to the highest standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality