Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2020, 03:41 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post

nipped ...

The time to believe something is when we have strong evidence to demonstrate it. Once that is done, we do in fact have knowledge. And while not perfect or infallible, IT IS RELIABLE and PREDICTABLE. Faith is none of those things, or anything else, because ANY CLAIM can be arrived at by faith. Literally-Any-Claim. With ZERO reliability and ZERO demonstrability.
lets just cut through the philosophy ... you have great theology, now lets test it out. what matches what we see going on around us better. in terms of a soul.

deity
we see only 5% of what people are.
living system
non living system
deny everything
activism means we need to deny everything.
woo science
faith
atheist have the most logical answers
atheism is a reaction to religion.
add any others.

Put them in order of uncertainty and briefly describe the reason you choose the weights you did and how it relates to the others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2020, 04:03 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Why is it that you credit a spectrum of probability to your faith in your preferred beliefs from science but pretend that there is no such probability applicable to other beliefs held by faith? Apparently, you see all faiths except yours as identical and devoid of evidence which is preposterously ignorant. My belief is that God is our Supreme and Ultimate Reality based on personal experiences and extrapolations from science. My faith is born of the consistency between my extrapolations of the science, the spiritual fossil record, and my personal experiences. Pretending my faith has zero evidence and no good or rational reason to believe is just ignorant hubris.
I’m not pretending your faith has zero evidence, I am stating it as a plain fact. Personal experience is meaningless garbage. It has no explanatory power. It can be anything from delusion to some semblance of reality or anything in between. I give your personal experience zero weight. “Extrapolation” of science means pulling something out of your rectum. Again any assertion can be justified with an arbitrary proclamation that it is based on a personal “extrapolation” of science. Same as faith. Any claim can be based on faith. It is a meaningless basis to formulate a rational conclusion.

Observation, logic, and reason offer the most reliable path to knowledge. Faith is a non sequitur to achieving knowledge. The scientific method is the beginning, middle, and end of knowledge acquisition. And look how you threw out a phrase like “spiritual fossil record”. Again trying to gain secondhand legitimacy for useless faith by trying to associate it with a legitimate scientific technique (fossil record). Same technique as creationism. Make faith “sciencey” by garnishing it with pseudoscientific terminology.

Unfortunately, that is nothing more than lipstick on a pig, and not a particularly attractive pig to boot. Until you can demonstrate your claims with hard and strong scientifically acquired evidence, you have zero, zilch, nada. I reject personal experience, and I reject so-called scientific “extrapolation”.

There is only one supreme being of your life, and that is little old you. There is nothing more, nothing else, nothing bigger, nothing more powerful, and nothing in charge, or offering guidance. The meaning and purpose for your life comes 100% from you. And when you die, all of that, and all of you, ceases to exist and is gone forever.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
lets just cut through the philosophy ... you have great theology, now lets test it out. what matches what we see going on around us better. in terms of a soul.

deity
we see only 5% of what people are.
living system
non living system
deny everything
activism means we need to deny everything.
woo science
faith
atheist have the most logical answers
atheism is a reaction to religion.
add any others.

Put them in order of uncertainty and briefly describe the reason you choose the weights you did and how it relates to the others.
I’m teaching this class. Not you. You’ll do my homework, not the reverse. Dismissed.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:08 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
It seems that the soul is indeed the life of a living being.

The spirit is defined as;

So, according to that, evidence for the soul would be that we are alive and similarly for the spirit - consciousness and thought.

That would mean when we die, the soul dies. Where out spirit dies is up for debate. I personally thing our spirit dies when the brain dies.
The soul is the identity and the spirit the force that makes it a living soul, not the other way around...

Old 12-23-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
The soul is the identity and the spirit the force that makes it a living soul, not the other way around...
These are arbitrary claims. They offer no evidence. Or even cogent definitions. This is an illustration of why terms like soul and spirit are useless. They can mean anything you want, and no one agrees as to exactly what is being referred to. It’s utter diffuse nonsense.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:17 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
I’m not pretending your faith has zero evidence, I am stating it as a plain fact. Personal experience is meaningless garbage. It has no explanatory power. It can be anything from delusion to some semblance of reality or anything in between. I give your personal experience zero weight. “Extrapolation” of science means pulling something out of your rectum. Again any assertion can be justified with an arbitrary proclamation that it is based on a personal “extrapolation” of science. Same as faith. Any claim can be based on faith. It is a meaningless basis to formulate a rational conclusion.

Observation, logic, and reason offer the most reliable path to knowledge. Faith is a non sequitur to achieving knowledge. The scientific method is the beginning, middle, and end of knowledge acquisition. And look how you threw out a phrase like “spiritual fossil record”. Again trying to gain secondhand legitimacy for useless faith by trying to associate it with a legitimate scientific technique (fossil record). Same technique as creationism. Make faith “sciencey” by garnishing it with pseudoscientific terminology.

Unfortunately, that is nothing more than lipstick on a pig, and not a particularly attractive pig to boot. Until you can demonstrate your claims with hard and strong scientifically acquired evidence, you have zero, zilch, nada. I reject personal experience, and I reject so-called scientific “extrapolation”.

There is only one supreme being of your life, and that is little old you. There is nothing more, nothing else, nothing bigger, nothing more powerful, and nothing in charge, or offering guidance. The meaning and purpose for your life comes 100% from you. And when you die, all of that, and all of you, ceases to exist and is gone forever.
I had always thought that the expression "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing." was unnecessary hyperbole. However, having encountered you and the certainty of your arrogance, I begin to see its applicability. I hope you are not finished with your education. You seem to be missing a lot of worldly experience and knowledge about our Reality.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:18 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
These are arbitrary claims. They offer no evidence. Or even cogent definitions. This is an illustration of why terms like soul and spirit are useless. They can mean anything you want, and no one agrees as to exactly what is being referred to. It’s utter diffuse nonsense.
This is, after all, the R&S forum, so I am speaking from the standpoint of belief in such...Somehow the Greek influence of an eternal soul crept in, unawares...While the soul is not eternal, and without the spirit cannot be a living soul, it can become an immortal soul...

Old 12-23-2020, 04:25 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I had always thought that the expression "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing." was unnecessary hyperbole. However, having encountered you and the certainty of your arrogance, I begin to see its applicability. I hope you are not finished with your education. You seem to be missing a lot of worldly experience and knowledge about our Reality.
He is the poster child for atheist fundy think.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:26 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Quote:
I find in Scripture soul and spirit are Not anything you want.
After God breathed the 'breath of life' into life-less Adam 'then' Adam became a living soul or person - Genesis 2:7
At death Adam became a dead soul, a life-less soul or person.
Adam went from non-life, to life, and returned back to non-life - Genesis 3:19
A person can Not ' return' to a place he never was before. Adam returned to dust.

As with God's spirit (Psalms 104:30) our spirit is a neuter ' it ' and Nothing to do with being a spirit person (angel) - Job 33:4
And as at Ecclesiastes 12:7 B a neuter ' it ' .

Old 12-23-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
This is, after all, the R&S forum, so I am speaking from the standpoint of belief in such...Somehow the Greek influence of an eternal soul crept in, unawares...While the soul is not eternal, and without the spirit cannot be a living soul, it can become an immortal soul...
Yes, but we haven’t even got a definition for a soul. While we know that there is no reason to believe in any form of immortality for any entity. So no, there is no such thing as an immortal soul. And you should refrain from believing in any such thing until strong evidence is presented to demonstrate its existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality