Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2020, 04:29 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I had always thought that the expression "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing." was unnecessary hyperbole. However, having encountered you and the certainty of your arrogance, I begin to see its applicability. I hope you are not finished with your education. You seem to be missing a lot of worldly experience and knowledge about our Reality.
If you have something to demonstrate to add to world knowledge, please do so. However, such knowledge will come from reason and logic, not personal experience or emo-derived “extrapolations” of science according to your emotional fears and wants and needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2020, 04:31 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Yes, but we haven’t even got a definition for a soul. While we know that there is no reason to believe in any form of immortality for any entity. So no, there is no such thing as an immortal soul................
I agree and l'd like to take the liberty to add that we do have the definition for soul as found at Genesis 2:7
Mortal Adam became a living person, a living soul, after God breathed the breath of life into life-less mortal Adam.
Mortal Adam was never offered immortality. Adam was only offered 'everlasting life on Earth' as long as he obeyed God.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:32 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
I find in Scripture soul and spirit are Not anything you want.
After God breathed the 'breath of life' into life-less Adam 'then' Adam became a living soul or person - Genesis 2:7
At death Adam became a dead soul, a life-less soul or person.
Adam went from non-life, to life, and returned back to non-life - Genesis 3:19
A person can Not ' return' to a place he never was before. Adam returned to dust.

As with God's spirit (Psalms 104:30) our spirit is a neuter ' it ' and Nothing to do with being a spirit person (angel) - Job 33:4
And as at Ecclesiastes 12:7 B a neuter ' it ' .
This is mere citing of a religious book from one of the many religions in existence, which completely contradict logic, and each other.

Therefore, I reject any and all Scriptural cites as invalid, immaterial, and irrelevant to the acquisition or dissemination of useful and real knowledge.

When trying to describe and communicate reality and what actually exists, scripture is null and void. It’s just not a rational tool to arrive at what is true or real.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:35 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
If you have something to demonstrate to add to world knowledge, please do so. However, such knowledge will come from reason and logic, not personal experience or emo-derived “extrapolations” of science according to your emotional fears and wants and needs.
Actually its you with the fear my man. Lets apply your theology to a real world example.

in terms of a soul, what is more logical.

we see only 5% of what we think we see in people. maybe its that 95% we don't see.
deny everything and claim logic is the answer
deny everything as say faith is not the answer.

what do we pick marcy?

Old 12-23-2020, 06:33 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Ha, the belief / faith game. You do not know, and what you believe goes against what we know. We know what is true for us until new information comes in. Pretending your position is equal to ours is as amusing as when the less intelligent Christians play this game.
i'd say that 92% of the world population engaging with, identifying with, being part of, participating in, either as a group (religion) or on their own individually (prayer) indicates they know what is known, and recognize that which you do not.

92% and growing is far greater in every way than 5% and shrinking (atheists).
that is a fact.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-23-2020 at 06:41 PM..

Old 12-23-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I’m not pretending your faith has zero evidence, I am stating it as a plain fact. Personal experience is meaningless garbage. It has no explanatory power. It can be anything from delusion to some semblance of reality or anything in between. I give your personal experience zero weight. “Extrapolation” of science means pulling something out of your rectum. Again any assertion can be justified with an arbitrary proclamation that it is based on a personal “extrapolation” of science. Same as faith. Any claim can be based on faith. It is a meaningless basis to formulate a rational conclusion.

Observation, logic, and reason offer the most reliable path to knowledge. Faith is a non sequitur to achieving knowledge. The scientific method is the beginning, middle, and end of knowledge acquisition. And look how you threw out a phrase like “spiritual fossil record”. Again trying to gain secondhand legitimacy for useless faith by trying to associate it with a legitimate scientific technique (fossil record). Same technique as creationism. Make faith “sciencey” by garnishing it with pseudoscientific terminology. Unfortunately, that is nothing more than lipstick on a pig, and not a particularly attractive pig to boot. Until you can demonstrate your claims with hard and strong scientifically acquired evidence, you have zero, zilch, nada. I reject personal experience, and I reject so-called scientific “extrapolation”. There is only one supreme being of your life, and that is little old you. There is nothing more, nothing else, nothing bigger, nothing more powerful, and nothing in charge, or offering guidance. The meaning and purpose for your life comes 100% from you. And when you die, all of that, and all of you, ceases to exist and is gone forever.
and atheists wonder why people are staying away in droves.
see bold above

Old 12-23-2020, 06:50 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i'd say that 92% of the world population engaging with, identifying with, being part of, participating in, either as a group (religion) or on their own individually (prayer) indicates they know what is known, and recognize that which you do not.

that is a fact.
Some wise sage once said: "Figures don't lie. But liars figure."

Old 12-23-2020, 07:08 PM

50,818 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

that is a fact.
You seem to forget that there is not a common belief among those 92%. Think I'm wrong? I suggest you go over to the mosque nearest you and start spreading your word.

Old 12-23-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You seem to forget that there is not a common belief among those 92%. Think I'm wrong? I suggest you go over to the mosque nearest you and start spreading your word.
what they have in common is identifying with religion or praying individually on their own.
they identify with the holy and sacred.

Old 12-23-2020, 07:26 PM

50,818 posts, read 24,321,239 times
and it's often not the same "holy and sacred". As I say...take my challenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality