Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2020, 12:32 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You seem to miss the quality of 'emergence', such as taking a painting apart and finding no representation of anything. Put it back as it was, and it has a meaning.
no, what is actually different between me and you trans is that I can go "bigger" and ask "what emerges".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 01:08 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,320,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Unless we can say that the spirit of a person lives on in the memory of those who loved them.

I do wonder whether 'extra sensory perception' is a thing. If it is then something is going on outside of the brain. Well, brainwaves do produce fields that can be detected. On the surface of the skin anyway.

I had an experience in which this person 'read my mind'. He wasn't looking at me and was talking to the group. I was looking at him, waiting for a gap to say something expressing my thoughts when he turned to me and said the exact words I was thinking. He expressed my thoughts. Uncanny.
If that's what we are talking about then I wholly agree. The impact we have on those around us is our legacy. If we are talking of the deceased continuing to have experiences then that doesn't seem likely. Even more unlikely to me is that they remember or retain anything of their former self. I do take some comfort in the fact that I could be wrong.

Last edited by L8Gr8Apost8; 12-31-2020 at 01:39 PM..

Old 12-31-2020, 01:40 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
If that's what we are talking about then I wholly agree. The impact we have on those around us is our legacy. If we are talking out the deceased continuing to have experiences then that doesn't seem likely. Even more unlikely to me is that they remember or retain anything of their former self. I do take some comfort in the fact that I could be wrong.
This, from the past, may be of interest:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/28376858-post108.html

Old 12-31-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I'm glad you posted that. I love stuff like that.

Edit: that could just as easily be used for evidence that time is on a loop as it is for the soul. I hope not, I don't want to go through the same things again.

Old 12-31-2020, 01:56 PM

11,026 posts, read 5,982,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Interesting.

How does something that does not exist in this physical world move physical objects, one wonders? Co-ordinated dreams? Seems unlikely to be a simple coincidence. But I might be able to accept being able to influence or trigger dreams, but the cat's toy?

I can think of one possible mechanism by which the toy was moved and that is through influencing you to move it in your sleep. Be that as it may, it first requires the cat's consciousness to exist.

Curious.

And yes, it is indeed of interest.

Old 12-31-2020, 02:01 PM

When I was about 3 I was sitting on the floor and saw a white dog walk through one wall of the living room and out again through the opposite wall. My mind instantly knew he was walking in a time the house wasn't there, either before or after. I had no fear of it. I didn't know about hallucinations then. Which seems more likely, that a 3-year-old understood space/time or that a 52-year-old understands hallucinations?

Sorry 303 I didn't mean to quote you. I was going to respond to you but then got side tracked.

Old 12-31-2020, 02:13 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Quote:
I'm glad you posted that. I love stuff like that.

Edit: that could just as easily be used for evidence that time is on a loop as it is for the soul. I hope not, I don't want to go through the same things again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Interesting.

How does something that does not exist in this physical world move physical objects, one wonders? Co-ordinated dreams? Seems unlikely to be a simple coincidence. But I might be able to accept being able to influence or trigger dreams, but the cat's toy?

I can think of one possible mechanism by which the toy was moved and that is through influencing you to move it in your sleep. Be that as it may, it first requires the cat's consciousness to exist.

Curious.

And yes, it is indeed of interest.
I live on a mountain...a 1/2 mile long driveway up to the chalet.
The toy was put away when she passed...it hadn't been touched since.
It was not there in the morning when I walked back & forth over that very spot to the table to have breakfast.
No way to miss it...it is a 8 ft long dayglow strand of end-knoted rope, attached to a 4 ft long bright pink 1/4 inch rod.
I'd been outside working...no one else around.
No "person" was even on the scene to put it there.

Old 12-31-2020, 02:15 PM

22,163 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
When I was about 3 I was sitting on the floor and saw a white dog walk through one wall of the living room and out again through the opposite wall. My mind instantly knew he was walking in a time the house wasn't there, either before or after. I had no fear of it. I didn't know about hallucinations then. Which seems more likely, that a 3-year-old understood space/time or that a 52-year-old understands hallucinations?

Sorry 303 I didn't mean to quote you. I was going to respond to you but then got side tracked.
to say everything seen by the mind's eye is a hallucination
cripples a person from ever developing, using, and benefiting from their mind's eye.

i'd say the 3-year old is a lot clearer, smarter, and wiser than the 52-year old,
regarding question posed and scenario described above.

Old 12-31-2020, 02:17 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:

If you think about that a 3 year old doesn't really know the difference between a dream and what is real like a 52 year old ... then you know it wasn't an hallucination, as we use the word that is.

Old 12-31-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
to say everything seen by the mind's eye is a hallucination
cripples a person from ever developing, using, and benefiting from their mind's eye.

i'd say the 3-year old is a lot clearer, smarter, and wiser than the 52-year old,
regarding question posed and scenario described above.
Both choices are valid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality