Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2021, 08:51 AM

22,011 posts, read 19,112,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Because a mistaken and false attribute will tend to be transferred through the literary creative process to the characters in our fiction. This seems rather straightforward and expected.
HD stated his personal belief that "Fictional characters do not have souls."
that sounds like it stems from recognizing that the soul is real, so then of course only a real person can have a soul.

but if he believes that the soul is fiction, then of course a fictional character can have a fictional soul.

that's why i asked HD to elaborate on his own logic in sharing that personal belief of his.
it is always curious when someone claims to know something about that which they claim does not exist.
the statement he made of his personal belief is congruent with a personal belief that the soul is real.

perhaps HD will explain to readers, for clarity. because the only way the statement is logical, is if someone's personal belief is that the soul is real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2021, 10:26 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,627,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
You are repeating yourself. I already covered, with efficiency and panache, why that is an erroneous contention.
A denial of what comports with observations of how the Universe works only serves to deny truth...and proves nothing to be erroneous.
That you do not like that aspect of how The Universe works, notwithstanding.
To deny what comports with observations & experience, as you experience it...is indicative of a very cognitively twisted type of bias based intransigence.

Old 01-01-2021, 10:55 AM

15,803 posts, read 6,261,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The Soul/Spirit of Jesus compels you!
I was wondering your thoughts on some of the days of the week being named after Germanic gods. For example, if you say Wednesday are you acknowledging the soul of Woden?

Last edited by L8Gr8Apost8; 01-01-2021 at 11:04 AM..

Old 01-01-2021, 11:04 AM

16,632 posts, read 4,916,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
If that's what we are talking about then I wholly agree. The impact we have on those around us is our legacy. If we are talking of the deceased continuing to have experiences then that doesn't seem likely. Even more unlikely to me is that they remember or retain anything of their former self.
This is also my position.

People who claim an afterlife is possible never explain how this is possible other than asserting some kind of spirit. And if people recognize spirits in NDEs, that must mean the spirits look a certain age. which raises the question, do ghosts keep their age?

Quote:
I do take some comfort in the fact that I could be wrong.
It would be nice. I would like a long life but to be a young ghost.

Old 01-01-2021, 11:08 AM

15,803 posts, read 6,261,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
This is also my position.

People who claim an afterlife is possible never explain how this is possible other than asserting some kind of spirit. And if people recognize spirits in NDEs, that must mean the spirits look a certain age. which raises the question, do ghosts keep their age?

It would be nice. I would like a long life but to be a young ghost.
It makes me happy to know that I can come to the same conclusions as a person with high intelligence and logic skills even if I had to do it with emotional reasoning.

Old 01-01-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The Soul/Spirit of Jesus compels you!!
No, your arguments compel me. I think the phrase is 'comedy gold'.

Old 01-01-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
curious to hear from HD on his conviction that
why?
So you believe Bilbo Beutlin has a soul? Harry Potter? What about Humpty Dumpty?

Old 01-01-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
HD stated his personal belief that "Fictional characters do not have souls."
that sounds like it stems from recognizing that the soul is real, so then of course only a real person can have a soul.
No, it stems from the fact that you believe souls exist.

Quote:
but if he believes that the soul is fiction, then of course a fictional character can have a fictional soul.
And fictional souls do not exist, being fictional.

Quote:
that's why i asked HD to elaborate on his own logic in sharing that personal belief of his.
it is always curious when someone claims to know something about that which they claim does not exist.
the statement he made of his personal belief is congruent with a personal belief that the soul is real.

perhaps HD will explain to readers, for clarity. because the only way the statement is logical, is if someone's personal belief is that the soul is real.
You must be a bot. It can be the only explanation.

Old 01-01-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
It makes me happy to know that I can come to the same conclusions as a person with high intelligence and logic skills even if I had to do it with emotional reasoning.
Thank you.

Old 01-01-2021, 11:39 AM

22,011 posts, read 19,112,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
No, it stems from the fact that you believe souls exist.
And fictional souls do not exist, being fictional.
You must be a bot. It can be the only explanation.
another sequence that lacks logic and is not rational.
and lacks critical thinking skills.
thank you for responding and clarifying that it is "lack of logic" rather than "personal belief in a soul" with regards to this post and the earlier post, and your own personal individual beliefs.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 01-01-2021 at 11:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality