Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2020, 07:51 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times

Advertisements

I think spirituality would actually show the corona is another life form doing exactly what life forms do.

Its a spiritual understanding seeing that.

I mean look at humans as a food source. We eat right, exercise, keep our self fit and fiddle. We even control our own herd. We make a great food course. lol, course, I left that in, made me laugh.

metaphorically speaking that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 07:51 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Coronavirus is teaching me every day that there is no spirituality except the euphemistic uses like, "I've got to get in touch with my inner spirit self." They're not talking about spirits because spirits don't exist. They're referring to their being--the thing inside their head that talks to them at times.

Many tens of thousands of Christians woke up over the past 10 months giving thanks and praise to God for being alive and asking God to see them safely through to the end of the day so they could kiss their spouses and kids when they got home from work. Six hours later they were in an ICU hooked up to a ventilator, and a few days later were put on life support. Their grief-stricken families weren't allowed to be with them when the ventilator was disconnected and they died. Despite the outpouring of prayers from their loved ones that God allow them to get well, God chose to ignore their prayers. In between all that they suffered a horrifying amount of fear and pain.

Statistically, 60% of America professes to be Christians. That means that of the 300,000 people who have died from Coronavirus in the US so far, roughly 180,000 were Christians who probably said that same exact prayer the morning they fell ill.

This tells me there's no such thing as spirituality in the literal sense. There is no spirit residing within us that goes on after we die. When we die, we're just dead. All that was us--our personalities, our fears, our joys--disintegrate just like our bodies. This then to me is the definition of atheism. Recognition that the spirit doesn't exist just naturally leads to one becoming atheist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I agree with you first three paragraphs. And would say that this is an argument against the god of the bible. I think you go a bit too far in your last paragraph because I don't think it eliminates the possibility of something beyond our own current life.
I think the idea that all Christians wake up and say a prayer like that every day is an odd assumption.

When you were a Christian, phetaroi, you prayed like that every morning?

I mean, I get what thrill is trying to say about prayers not being answered, but is the exaggeration and hyperbole really necessary to make the point? It sounds silly to me.

Old 12-21-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Coronavirus is teaching me every day that there is no spirituality except the euphemistic uses like, "I've got to get in touch with my inner spirit self." They're not talking about spirits because spirits don't exist. They're referring to their being--the thing inside their head that talks to them at times.

nipped for space ...
I mean no disrespect thrill. I see you really trying and I mean that in a positive way..

You seem to treat your belief about Christianity being false like you treated it when you held it to be true.

all or nothing, black/white, true/false only. Binary thinking only ends in frustration.

Binary thinking is just not how the world works. Believers in something will always outnumber believers in nothing because it just is more reasonable, nothing more than that.

Old 12-21-2020, 11:21 AM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think the idea that all Christians wake up and say a prayer like that every day is an odd assumption.

When you were a Christian, phetaroi, you prayed like that every morning?

I mean, I get what thrill is trying to say about prayers not being answered, but is the exaggeration and hyperbole really necessary to make the point? It sounds silly to me.
A little picky this morning?

Okay, let me say that overall I agree with what he said in his first three paragraphs.

I think the important point is that obviously prayers do not get answered...unless of course someone is looking for their lost car keys. Oh my...more hypernbole!

Old 12-21-2020, 11:45 AM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
A little picky this morning?

Okay, let me say that overall I agree with what he said in his first three paragraphs.

I think the important point is that obviously prayers do not get answered...unless of course, someone is looking for their lost car keys. Oh my...more hyperbole!
Prayers are not supposed to be requests of our Fairy Godmother! They are requests for God to be with us and our loved ones as we endure whatever we must overcome to the end of our physical lives. Any intervention is within our consciousness so undetectable by anyone but ourselves. Those who view prayers as requests of Santa Claus will most assuredly be disappointed.

Old 12-21-2020, 02:43 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Prayers are not supposed to be requests of our Fairy Godmother! They are requests for God to be with us and our loved ones as we endure whatever we must overcome to the end of our physical lives. Any intervention is within our consciousness so undetectable by anyone but ourselves. Those who view prayers as requests of Santa Claus will most assuredly be disappointed.
Is there any difference between praying for the victims of a disaster and of having thoughts about and emphathy for the victims of a disaster ?

Old 12-21-2020, 04:55 PM

15,962 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Is there any difference between praying for the victims of a disaster and of having thoughts about and emphathy for the victims of a disaster ?
It is the thoughts and empathy that is important. the very existence of that is the reflection of the inner spirit that dwells within all of us, and proof of our inter-connectedness.

Old 12-21-2020, 04:55 PM

22,163 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
yes

Old 12-21-2020, 05:03 PM

at the very least it helps with the feeling of utter helplessness that we feel sometimes.

Old 12-21-2020, 06:00 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
yes
What are those differences to you ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality