Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 12:20 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes. Jesus fulfilled the Law. No one is arguing that we need to live by the Mosaic Law.

Aren't you though? Kind of?

You're stating that some churches don't teach that the Bible is infallible, and that some churches don't follow God's commands. Well, those commands, handed down from the OT, were fulfilled by Jesus Christ.

Now, in Matthew, there's a verse about not changing one jot or tittle about the law.

“For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.”

It was fulfilled in Jesus Christ. And we KNOW that there have been various opinions on translations and mistranslations, etc. SOOOO when various churches pass down 'rules' one should be very very careful about that.

For instance (and going off on a tangent a little) there is NO Bible verse about transgenderism. Not.A.One.

And yet, so many people try to make it a moral issue, but it's not. I've read some Christian opinions on the issue. Mostly along the lines of "We should rejoice in how God made us, and seek to serve him within the reality of our situation." Which is rather vague, and IMO, NOT Biblical.

God also gave us intellect and curiosity. Most of us take a Tylenol for a headache. We take insulin for Diabetes, we heal babies born with disabilities as we are able to. And most of us don't bat an eye at those who seek treatment, when available. We don't say "God gave me a headache, and I should seek to serve him within the realm of my headache." We don't say "My child was born with Type A diabetes, and God wants him/her to suffer with it their whole life, so I won't seek science or treatment for my child. And I'll just wait in peace, for them to die."

Again...we need to be real careful about what we ascribe to God's commands, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2020, 12:38 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And you think YOU sound open-minded?
I am open to help with understanding... so my mind is willing.

Old 12-17-2020, 12:48 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
If Christians or Jews come to help with understanding of God's love for women, that's what it is. It's not closed mindedness, it's answering the question(s) best we know how.

Now if you disagree with the premise of how love is to be given Biblically, then that is open to your personal beliefs, but it doesn't change the command. So if I say God says to man/men, love a woman/women sacrificially as I have loved you... that's a pretty hard thing to do. In fact, it's practically impossible for me.

That is not being hard headed, or closed minded, it's being honest. Misogyny and love can not live in the same sentence, within my understanding of the Bible.

Old 12-17-2020, 01:06 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
And you have no basis to pick and choose what is and isn't.
Yes, I do. I have the "mind of Christ" as the basis for deciding what are and are not commands of God.

Old 12-17-2020, 01:09 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Yes, I do. I have the "mind of Christ" as the basis for deciding what are and are not commands of God.
How do you know this? Because the "mind of Christ" tells me you're full of baloney"

Old 12-17-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
How do you know this? Because the "mind of Christ" tells me you're full of baloney"
You do not know the "mind of Christ" because you make no effort to. You only have the "mind of the Bible" which is so contradictory and inconsistent it is "mindless."

Old 12-17-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
You do not know the "mind of Christ" because you make no effort to. You only have the "mind of the Bible" which is so contradictory and inconsistent it is "mindless."
That's a rather harsh statement. How do you know that? That doesn't sound like the someone with the "mind of Christ" to tell others that dont' have Christ.

Old 12-17-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
That's a rather harsh statement. How do you know that? That doesn't sound like the someone with the "mind of Christ" to tell others that dont' have Christ.
I say YOU don't know the "mind of Christ" because you do not use the characteristics of the "mind of Christ" as described, revealed, and unambiguously demonstrated by Jesus to TEST the Spirit of what is claimed in the Bible with the Holy Spirit of agape love in the "mind of Christ." You blindly accept everything in the Bible.

Old 12-17-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I say YOU don't know the "mind of Christ" because you do not use the characteristics of the "mind of Christ" as described, revealed, and unambiguously demonstrated by Jesus to TEST the Spirit of what is claimed in the Bible with the Holy Spirit of agape love in the "mind of Christ." You blindly accept everything in the Bible.
Sorry. The mind of Christ tells me your'e full of hot air. I've tested it and the Holy Spirit confirms it. You going to argue with the Spirit?

Old 12-17-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Sorry. The mind of Christ tells me your'e full of hot air. I've tested it and the Holy Spirit confirms it. You going to argue with the Spirit?
You have no clue what are the characteristics of the Holy Spirit because you never express them or use them to test the Spirit of anything in the Bible. I don't know what Spirit you are listening to, but it is not remotely Holy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality