Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2020, 05:32 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,325,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
No, he distinctly used the word "you" and "your" multiple times in responding to DTenns post. Many times in a single post. Five times:
"your god" "produces your god" "your god being" "what you want" . Then he states his own version of a grid with power flow as "producing your god" and "god being feedback on the grid" and claims that is "the same thing."
He also said more like and maybe.

It's in the eye of the beholder. AA hasn't weighed in to state his intentions but it really doesn't matter. Seldom do we know another's intentions so we have to infuse that bit ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2020, 05:34 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
He isn't trying to tell you what God is to YOU. He is telling you what it might be interpreted to be according to science.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
No, he distinctly used the word "you" and "your" multiple times in responding to DTenns post. Many times in a single post. Five times:
"your god" "produces your god" "your god being" "what you want" . Then he states his own version of a grid with power flow as "producing your god" and "god being feedback on the grid" and claims that is "the same thing."
Think, Tzaph. How on earth could he talk about how DnT's God might be interpreted using science WITHOUT referring to DnT's God?????? He still is explaining how it might be seen from a scientific point of view, NOT how DnT sees his God.

Old 12-20-2020, 06:21 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Public, pedantic navel-gazing is pathetic.

Old 12-20-2020, 07:38 PM

1,754 posts, read 755,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Buddhism is practiced by some as a religion is practiced.
Buddhism is seen by many others as a philosophy.
Hi, phetaroi!

I see religion as a type of philosophy. All religion is philosophy, but not all philosophy is religious.

To me philosophy is a system of thought to pursue some sort of wisdom or end goal. Whereas religion is a philosophy that is based on a God or gods. I remember listening to older Friends talk about their views in a very philosophical way.

To be religious I must constantly reflect on my actions and thoughts and see if they measure up to Jesus' teachings and then modify my actions and thoughts as needed. I must also think about Jesus teachings. To me Christianity must have philosophy or one will likely stray.

I hope you have a happy New Year coming up!

Old 12-20-2020, 08:29 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Thread close while the moderators investigate some problems.

ETA: The thread is being reopened. I didn't count how many posts were deleted, but it was too many.

Let's see. Don't try to tell somebody how they understand God. Common sense tells us that will never end well.

Don't modify quoted posts. Read the forum rules about quoting. If you don't know how to quote posts, there is help in the rules for R&S, and the moderators are willing to help, too.

Don't reply to posts you report.

Don't worry if a few of your posts got deleted. You probably replied to a post that got deleted because it quoted a post that got deleted because it quoted a post that got deleted. Clear? I didn't think so, but it's OK.

Now, back to discussing Spirituality and Religion.

Last edited by mensaguy; 12-21-2020 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: Reopening thread and saying why.

Old 12-21-2020, 04:48 PM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
OP says that in ENGLISH religion is a concept, foreign to Eastern teachings in its principle. Using an ENGLISH definition of religion, based on ENGLISH definition of spirituality, is in its core erroneous and, from Eastern doctrines perspective, does not make logical sense. Explanation is already at fault by virtue of being rooted in different basic principles.

For that definition, to be used as clarifying example first, "spirituality" needs to be determined, as common ground/meaning/concept, between the mentioned spiritual paths.
Does THAT make sense? To compare/explain the two, common ground needs to be used. And, there is none.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That you don't see any doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't any. The thing is that 'spirituality'covers a lot of semantic ground. Like 'religion' and even 'god' (rather like 'art' and 'poetry' (what exactly it isn't or is) it's for the person using the term to say what they mean. And the listens to say: "Sorry, that you call your cat 'spirituality' doesn't mean that spirituality is a cat".

You seem to have neither followed the thread nor understand the role that language plays
Quote:
For that definition, to be used as clarifying example first, "spirituality" needs to be determined, as common ground/meaning/concept, between the mentioned spiritual paths.
Spirituality has a precise meaning in Hinduism which is self-inquiry, the study of the mind and how it functions, and its connection/relation to the universe, the pure Existance. The practice of religion also has precise meaning - the practice of rites and rituals. Both are important. Yes, one can be one and not the other, or one can be both. This aspect exists in every religion.

If the connection to nature that feels like spirituality does not extend to examining the mind, or the concept of a self and its connection to a divinity or existence or Oneness, it is just a feeling of connecting with nature. What exactly is the spirituality part of such a feeling?

Old 12-21-2020, 06:14 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
You seem to have neither followed the thread nor understand the role that language plays
Spirituality has a precise meaning in Hinduism which is self-inquiry, the study of the mind and how it functions, and its connection/relation to the universe, the pure Existance. The practice of religion also has precise meaning - the practice of rites and rituals. Both are important. Yes, one can be one and not the other, or one can be both. This aspect exists in every religion.

If the connection to nature that feels like spirituality does not extend to examining the mind, or the concept of a self and its connection to a divinity or existence or Oneness, it is just a feeling of connecting with nature. What exactly is the spirituality part of such a feeling?
Obviously, you've never experienced it, so it would be akin to explaining colours to a blind woman.

Old 12-21-2020, 06:26 PM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Obviously, you've never experienced it, so it would be akin to explaining colours to a blind woman.
How can you explain anything when you dont have the words?

Old 12-21-2020, 06:56 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
How can you explain anything when you don't have the words?
You do the best with existing words. You don't makeup words and give them esoteric meanings that are semantically useless.

Old 12-21-2020, 08:33 PM

50,810 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Hi, phetaroi!

I see religion as a type of philosophy. All religion is philosophy, but not all philosophy is religious.

To me philosophy is a system of thought to pursue some sort of wisdom or end goal. Whereas religion is a philosophy that is based on a God or gods. I remember listening to older Friends talk about their views in a very philosophical way.

To be religious I must constantly reflect on my actions and thoughts and see if they measure up to Jesus' teachings and then modify my actions and thoughts as needed. I must also think about Jesus teachings. To me Christianity must have philosophy or one will likely stray.

I hope you have a happy New Year coming up!
I don't think it's necessarily an either/or thing, but my guess is (based partly on your posts) that your religion is less a religion and more a philosophy. Let me explain what I mean. Have you ever been to a Catholic Mass? It is chock full of rituals. Bells are ringing at different points in the mass to tell you to do something (like kneel). You say the exact same creed every week. I used to laugh at Father Doran -- a very no-nonsense priest...he could do a mass in 24 minutes. It isn't that there's something inherently wrong with rituals...except when those rituals are done in place of thinking. My wonderful grandmother on my father's side of the family was as devout a Catholic as you could find. She could recite the rosary, every single major prayer, etc. She never missed a Sunday mass, and went to mass multiple times during the week. But when they changed the mass from Latin to English she had a fit. I remember saying, "But grandma, now you understand what the priest is saying". "No. It should be in Latin. It doesn't matter if I understand it. We have to have tradition" (paraphrase after all these years). It had all gotten to be mere rote. That's a trademark of traditional religions. My other grandmother couldn't remember what the methodist minister had said in his sermon an hour after getting home from Sunday service. Going to church was rote. Participating in the service was rote -- mechanical or habitual repetition.

I believe that you can take any the religions and make them a philosophy...and I'll bet you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality