Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2020, 09:48 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Your grandmother probably had thoughts with religion too!

Well, we have the ritual of expectant waiting and if we are moved to speak we may. If someone says something too controversial or talks too long they may be prodded by an older member to hurry to a conclusion. But the waiting in silence is somewhat ritualistic in that you listen to the creaking of the chairs letting us know we aren't alone, or the wind in the leaves outside telling us the passing of time, or the special rare times when we had a crackling fire.

All of this is suppose to lead to thoughts and when other people speak they may provide lessons or thought provoking things or ideas.
Based on that description, I would say your setting leads more toward philosophy and less toward ritual. But again, it's not either or. But notice...you're saying various people may speak...that alone is the opposite of ritual. I like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2020, 05:18 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Your grandmother probably had thoughts with religion too!

Well, we have the ritual of expectant waiting and if we are moved to speak we may. If someone says something too controversial or talks too long they may be prodded by an older member to hurry to a conclusion. But the waiting in silence is somewhat ritualistic in that you listen to the creaking of the chairs letting us know we aren't alone, or the wind in the leaves outside telling us the passing of time, or the special rare times when we had a crackling fire.

All of this is suppose to lead to thoughts and when other people speak they may provide lessons or thought provoking things or ideas.
you are on your way.

If you can, remember, when you break free (and you are going to girl) do not hold any resentment towards anything but the people closest to you and yourself. People that had nothing to do with you are not responsible. at least not these days in the states. People make their own beds around here.

I would suggest no resentment, but if you have to have it, place it properly and heal.

Old 12-23-2020, 05:26 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
So have we established the difference between Spirituality and Religion? anyone's mind changed or altered? anyone learn anything?

Old 12-23-2020, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
So have we established the difference between Spirituality and Religion? anyone's mind changed or altered? anyone learn anything?
no, but it did reinforce literal atheist and literal theist are quite a problem.

Old 12-23-2020, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
no, but it did reinforce literal atheist and literal theist are quite a problem.
Is that the log and the spec thing analogy?

Old 12-23-2020, 05:39 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I like TMSRetired's post. It aligns with how I view things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
To me..religion is an organization with rules and ritual that people at the top can change on a whim.
Spirituality is an individual belief system that can also change but only by you as your knowledge evolves.
For me, there is observation and then there is preference. Observation fits in better with spirituality and preference fits in better with religion.

When a person observes, they are trying to notice what is there and not what they want to be there. If there seems to be a system, a buildup of knowledge can begin if principles, rules, or laws are discovered on how it works or doesn't work. The system would work in the same way for the next person, but this is not what makes it spiritual. It is what makes it verifiable.

Preference is when a person makes up a principle, rule, or law to get what they want but there are other ways of living. That is religion.

Old 12-23-2020, 05:44 AM

1,754 posts, read 754,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Based on that description, I would say your setting leads more toward philosophy and less toward ritual. But again, it's not either or. But notice...you're saying various people may speak...that alone is the opposite of ritual. I like that.
There is nothing "wrong" with the Catholic church and they are obviously more successful than us Quakers. But here goes....

We Quakers generally speaking do not like the concept of having a "pope" (or other leader) that then tells a bunch of "priests" (or other leaders) what to tell the congregation masses what to think.

Why?

(1) No one can tell another how to experience God.

(2) Power structures reduce free will and free will is a gift from God.

(3) Power structures can lead to oppression of others.

(4) We all have important contributions that we can make with our own perspectives.

So, in a meeting house anyone can be moved to speak and free to speak. People are allowed to voice questioning thoughts of anyone speaking.

Obviously I guess our system isn't as good I suppose. As Catholicism is the largest denomination of Christianity and we are a smaller one.

Quote:
you are on your way.

If you can, remember, when you break free (and you are going to girl) do not hold any resentment towards anything but the people closest to you and yourself. People that had nothing to do with you are not responsible. at least not these days in the states. People make their own beds around here.

I would suggest no resentment, but if you have to have it, place it properly and heal.

I am not that bright, I honestly have no clear idea what you are getting at. Who might I resent? Why might I resent them? What might I break free from?

Old 12-23-2020, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post

For me, there is observation and then there is preference. Observation fits in better with spirituality and preference fits in better with religion.

When a person observes, they are trying to notice what is there and not what they want to be there. If there seems to be a system, a buildup of knowledge can begin if principles, rules, or laws are discovered on how it works or doesn't work. The system would work in the same way for the next person, but this is not what makes it spiritual. It is what makes it verifiable.

Preference is when a person makes up a principle, rule, or law to get what they want but there are other ways of living. That is religion.
To me, sometimes "preference" isn't a made up principle. Sometimes its a matter of logistics. "mass produced" spirituality if you will. Breaking down spirituality into useable parts.

Its just that sometimes the "spiritual plane", if you will, looks more like a bunch of parts that are flying in formation.

Old 12-23-2020, 05:50 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
Quote:
To me, sometimes "preference" isn't a made up principle. Sometimes its a matter of logistics. "mass produced" spirituality if you will. Breaking down spirituality into useable parts.

Its just that sometimes the "spiritual plane", if you will, looks more like a bunch of parts that are flying in formation.
I hope I didn't send the wrong message. Observation and preference are equally important in my book. What is the point of life if you can't live it the way you want?

Old 12-23-2020, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post

We are told what's the fruit of the spirit and we are told what perfect religion is. Does it match?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality