Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2020, 12:48 AM

10,939 posts, read 5,913,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Wonder if he would have done the same thing had he known that the people in the trench were murderers and rapists...
That's a good question.

Of course, under the circumstances he did not have time to think. The significant thing to me is that his first thought was to save those young men. They were school leavers doing their military training, 18 years old. He could have just jumped out of the trench and saved himself.

Hah! Did Jesus not say to love and forgive sinners? Did Jesus not come to save sinners? Save them from hell I would presume although now that I think of it, did Jesus actually ever mention hell?

P.S. Good to see you again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2020, 05:03 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,813,911 times
How wonderful that the multitudes of historical Christians suffered and many who died for their faith, all so that a modern day intellectual can criticize and laugh at them all, and then turn their sacred doctrines into symbolic phrases and well meaning principles, taking the bits from their scriptures he prefers and ignoring whatever doesn't sit well with his own sensibilities. Dismissing their faith without even trying to understand them.

Old 12-23-2020, 05:11 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,518,409 times
Quote:
Wonder if he would have done the same thing had he known that the people in the trench were murderers and rapists...
I have to think, sometimes throwing it in on them then going to jump on it gets me conflicted.

But really, if he was one of them ... yes. If not, maybe not.

Old 12-23-2020, 06:34 AM

18,918 posts, read 6,923,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
A truly loving, holy and perfect being would do the honorable thing and forgive us all - after all, he created us this way -
No. He didn't. He is not the one that created your sin.
Quote:

and he would make the ultimate sacrifice on our behalf and send himself to the hell that he created in the first place and suffer our punishment and set us free. That would be the ultimate expression of his love for us. The ultimate expression of perfection and holiness.
He became part of his creation and he died in my place. He is my savior. He can be your savior, as well if you'd just repent and turn to him. It really is that simple.

Old 12-23-2020, 06:36 AM

4,638 posts, read 1,772,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I have to think, sometimes throwing it in on them then going to jump on it gets me conflicted.

But really, if he was one of them ... yes. If not, maybe not.
The whole point Arach, is that if you KNEW that the people in the trench were murderers, rapists, etc., would you want them living among you?

Old 12-23-2020, 06:59 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,518,409 times
Quote:
The whole point Arach, is that if you KNEW that the people in the trench were murderers, rapists, etc., would you want them living among you?
My brother said I would make a great internal affairs officer for the police. I am not interested in brother blue.

But the reality of situation is different. The trench is a different place minkk57. There are no cowards, no good, no bad, There is only violence and slim hope. I think of Russia assaulting Germany as compared to the united states assaulting japan. We fight different.

I think, if it was as clear-cut as you say, I cover up myself.

Old 12-23-2020, 07:34 AM

31,374 posts, read 20,088,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
No. He didn't. He is not the one that created your sin.

...snip....
I thought you believed your bible?

Isaiah 45:7 in the King James Version reads, “I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.”

Old 12-23-2020, 09:02 AM

18,227 posts, read 16,841,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
The god of the Bible is a cosmic crybaby. "Bwaaaa.....boohoo.....you rejected my son. You hurt my feelings so bad that I'm going to have to burn you alive forever in hell. I don't want to...but my sense of justice demands it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post

I hate to say this but ....... you hit the nail on the head!

Pretty incredible that Christian theologians and laypersons can sell this nonsense to presumably educated people, right? I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't admit that I fell for this foolish slop for 60 years before educating myself about the dark underbelly of Christianity.

Old 12-23-2020, 09:36 AM

50,450 posts, read 24,044,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
How wonderful that the multitudes of historical Christians suffered and many who died for their faith, all so that a modern day intellectual can criticize and laugh at them all, and then turn their sacred doctrines into symbolic phrases and well meaning principles, taking the bits from their scriptures he prefers and ignoring whatever doesn't sit well with his own sensibilities. Dismissing their faith without even trying to understand them.
Just because you worship someone doesn't mean everyone else does.

Your biggest error is thinking that atheists have not tried to understand christianity and christians. Unfortunately, we don't necessarily walk away from that consideration with respect for them.

I would guess that millions of people in the history of mankind have died defending causes and principles you don't respect.

Old 12-23-2020, 09:37 AM

50,450 posts, read 24,044,107 times
Quote:
Is that the whole point? When it comes to life and death is that your choice to make?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality