Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2020, 11:34 AM

10,941 posts, read 5,916,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Your view of God is too small if you believe that he is not sovereign to do what he wants with his own creation.
God said this in the bible? He said words to the effect "I created you so I can do with you what I want"?

I've heard this many times but I didn't think to ask where exactly it is written. I always assumed it was a made up thing as an excuse for God but you have told us that you go by the bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2020, 11:36 AM

18,926 posts, read 6,931,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
God said this in the bible? He said words to the effect "I created you so I can do with you what I want"?
Yes. Romans 9.

Old 12-30-2020, 12:07 PM

50,469 posts, read 24,054,533 times
Quote:
Do you know what my religion is?

I'm a Christian. We go by the bible. It's God's Word. So my belief is based on God's Word.

To this point, the discussion has been about atheists vs religious, specifically Christian. Not sure that's really relevant. But thanks for your attempt at a viable point.

You're the one that is hanging out on a religious message board to attack and mock Christians.
Yes, I know what your religion is -- you're a fundamentalist baptist. I'm well aware you're a hardened christian. It shines through () in all your posts and in your screen name.

It's all right for you to believe in what you consider to be "god's word", but it would also be all right for you to have a little respect for people of other beliefs. But you're too conceited about your own religion to be able to do that.

Yes, I realize that respect for others -- and their sacred beliefs -- is not your forte. And shame on you for that.

Attack and mock? Get down off that cross and quit whining. To get through to you -- and nothing seems to -- it sort of like the old Mennen Skin Bracer ads -- slap, slap. But you never get message and say, "Thanks, I needed that". You don't have enough empathy -- except for your own small tribe -- to fill a thimble.

Old 12-30-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes, I know what your religion is -- you're a fundamentalist baptist. I'm well aware you're a hardened christian. It shines through () in all your posts and in your screen name.
What does that mean? I consider myself a Christian.
Quote:
It's all right for you to believe in what you consider to be "god's word", but it would also be all right for you to have a little respect for people of other beliefs. But you're too conceited about your own religion to be able to do that.
Back at ya, Phet. Show some respect for all others, not just the ones you like.
Quote:
Yes, I realize that respect for others -- and their sacred beliefs -- is not your forte. And shame on you for that.
Interesting. You lob an insult immediately after claiming a moral high ground of respect for others. Wow. Didn't take long for you to show your character!
Quote:

Attack and mock? Get down off that cross and quit whining. To get through to you -- and nothing seems to -- it sort of like the old Mennen Skin Bracer ads -- slap, slap. But you never get message and say, "Thanks, I needed that". You don't have enough empathy -- except for your own small tribe -- to fill a thimble.
Yes. And your attitude toward me on this post demonstrates it. You're just mean.

Old 12-30-2020, 12:16 PM

50,469 posts, read 24,054,533 times
Quote:
What does that mean? I consider myself a Christian.

Back at ya, Phet. Show some respect for all others, not just the ones you like.

Interesting. You lob an insult immediately after claiming a moral high ground of respect for others. Wow. Didn't take long for you to show your character!

Yes. And your attitude toward me on this post demonstrates it. You're just mean.
You apparently don't read many of my posts. But the difference is I am criticizing YOU -- an individual. Fortunately, many, many christians are not like you. And those christians are fine and upstanding Americans.

My attitude toward you is what you have earned through your posts.

Old 12-30-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You apparently don't read many of my posts. But the difference is I am criticizing YOU -- an individual. Fortunately, many, many christians are not like you. And those christians are fine and upstanding Americans.

My attitude toward you is what you have earned through your posts.
Well no, bless your heart, ya little hypocrite.

Old 12-30-2020, 01:11 PM

16,633 posts, read 15,583,585 times
Quote:

I'm a Christian. We go by the bible. It's God's Word. So my belief is based on God's Word.

To this point, the discussion has been about atheists vs religious, specifically Christian. Not sure that's really relevant. But thanks for your attempt at a viable point.

You're the one that is hanging out on a religious message board to attack and mock Christians.
This forum does not exist to be a safe place for Christians (or anybody else, for that matter).

Old 12-30-2020, 01:34 PM

63,570 posts, read 39,862,781 times
Quote:

Actually, a Christian is supposed to go by Jesus Christ who IS the Word of God, NOT the Bible. Few Christians seem willing to try to understand the "mind of Christ" as described, revealed, and unambiguously demonstrated by Jesus. They prefer to blindly accept everything "written in ink" as God's word whether or not it is consistent or compatible with God's Holy Spirit of agape as revealed by Jesus.

Old 12-30-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
This forum does not exist to be a safe place for Christians (or anybody else, for that matter).
bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahah

Old 12-30-2020, 01:37 PM

4,483 posts, read 1,302,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
To anyone who believes in an afterlife of eternal torment that non-believers will be subject to, how do you personally feel about that?
In a hypothetical situation where you were running the show, would you feel morally justified to condemn non-believers to an eternity of suffering?

When I was religious, I always found that to be one of the hardest things to square. I know many religious people don't believe in a hell or place of eternal torment like I'm depicting, so I'm not really targeting the question towards you if it doesn't match what you believe.

EDIT: Whoops, typo in the subject... maybe a mod can fix that
Some folks claim it's not fair that God has placed us in a situation that we must choose to follow Him or go to hell.

I'm thinking this is His creation and not ours. He said from the beginning He will not tolerate sin, and we have all sinned, then He, in His mercy provided a way out of the punishment of that sin.

Sounds more that fair to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality