Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 10:50 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times

Advertisements

Still noticed no one has shown that the people in the story are "fundamentalists". But people see what they want to see, no matter how incorrect it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2020, 10:50 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Doesn't make a bit of sense, but sure. Ok. Whatever.
May I draw your attention that religion resulted into planes flying into the World Trade Center? Then there were the Crusades. The 100 year war. Northern Ireland. Bible camp attending Dylan Roof. Griffen, and the Army of God.

Do I need to go on????? I can if you keep denying.

Old 12-30-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
May I draw your attention that religion resulted into planes flying into the World Trade Center? Then there were the Crusades. The 100 year war. Northern Ireland. Bible camp attending Dylan Roof. Griffen, and the Army of God.

Do I need to go on????? I can if you keep denying.
Demonstrate that ANY of the people that participated in those things were "good people", please.

This is the issue. Just like you did in the OP, you took a story and make assumptions. You know NOTHING about the couple that killed this poor child, and you are making further assumptions about people and religioni in order to support your bias.

Old 12-30-2020, 10:56 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
I get that. And it starts with the assumption that people are good or bad without God. That's simply not true.
so thats the premise: A statement of belief about god (yes god or no god) is a powerful motivator.

Yes, its is a powerful motivator for good and bad. equally. In fact, I am not anti-religious, anti-god, anti-believers because it motivates more good than bad to me. And believing in something more (undefined because there is so many beliefs) just is more logical.

That's that.

it is also true that people are good or bad. What they believe is really irrelevant to that claim.

Old 12-30-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
it is also true that people are good or bad. What they believe is really irrelevant to that claim.
Actually, we are all sinners from birth. it's our human nature. No one is good, no not one.

So, you are starting with a false assumption.

Old 12-30-2020, 11:00 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Actually, we are all sinners from birth. it's our human nature. No one is good, no not one.

Your wrongness has achieved Olympian proportions.

Old 12-30-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:

yeah ... so much for trying to be just reasonable.

Old 12-30-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
yeah ... so much for trying to be just reasonable.
I'd say the same to you.

Old 12-30-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I'd say the same to you.
yup, Using my own words against my own conclusion is a technique I always use to see if I am missing something. That's why I list them together and see if I am less reliable than you.

bapt: Actually, we are all sinners from birth. it's our human nature. No one is good, no not one.

vs

arach: People are people from birth. Some people are do good things and some people do bad things.

add any others you feel are important here if you like.

Then we talk about it. And most importantly we look at he reasons we are assigning the weights to observations. "weights" to observations is really where he start to stratify beliefs and flawed activism.

Old 12-30-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
yup, Using my own words against my own conclusion is a technique I always use to see if I am missing something. That's why I list them together and see if I am less reliable than you.

bapt: Actually, we are all sinners from birth. it's our human nature. No one is good, no not one.

vs

arach: People are people from birth. Some people are do good things and some people do bad things.

add any others you feel are important here if you like.

Then we talk about it. And most importantly we look at he reasons we are assigning the weights to observations. "weights" to observations is really where he start to stratify beliefs and flawed activism.
You are assuming that people are a clean slate. That's your assumption. Or that some are good, some bad. That's your assumption. Your assumption is not based on fact, but on your opinion. Nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality