Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2021, 03:32 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
And you fail to understand my personal view point, I read the Bible everyday. I said I won't dare question God, you can do what you want, but as for me, I won't dare question God. God had a purpose for these people you cited, they were not just anybody and I wouldn't compare myself to them. Must we be so negative as Christians, we are here to discuss, learn and grown in Christ and not to fight with each other. The way you come off tells a lot about you.
If you want to discuss Jesusgod with a lot of other beleivers, the Christianity forum is nearby (1). If you post here, like it or not, you can expect to be called on any BS, unsound claims or crapola. Failure to make adequate response and retreat into 'I don't care what you say' only damages your cred and that of the religion you preach. No problem for us.

(1) though by all accounts there are those who will damn you to hell if they don't agree with your Interpretations of scripture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 03:49 PM

2,962 posts, read 864,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I'm still waiting for someone to explain exactly what a worldview is.

Why is it important to figure out if one is a deist or an agnostic?

And why is it important to have a 'worldview' (whatever that might be).

Obviously having no worldview is not important to me (or maybe I do have one without knowing it). I don't think about it so I guess I don't actually care. What I do care about is the view of my physical world out my front window and out the back where I look after the birds, one of which I raised and still comes in in the evenings to sleep. I care about having fun and doing interesting stuff, like fishing and being out there in the hills and forests.

Is that a worldview?
Still don’t know what a worldview is? Hmm. Remember when I told you your questions often seem disingenuous? Here’s a good example of why I think that...

Quote:
Comparing our worldviews would be fine but I'm not looking for a one on one, nor do I seek to find or prove someone wrong. I do seek to improve my knowledge and understanding and that includes understanding how other folks, like yourself feel and view things. Many of my friends and family are Christians. Heck, my great grandfather was a bishop. He would be turning in his grave if he knew my worldview.

Oh yeah, my grandfather was a missionary in Africa too.
Quote:
To keep this in line with the topic of the thread, you can see why I have my feet firmly on the ground in the real world which might explain my materialist worldview.
Quote:
My world view is basically that everything that exists, exists as a result of natural processes.

Old 02-15-2021, 04:03 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Still don’t know what a worldview is? Hmm. Remember when I told you your questions often seem disingenuous? Here’s a good example of why I think that...
OK, so I'm trying. Are you suggesting I have a materialistic worldview? Couldn't you just explain what you mean by worldview? Then I wouldn't need to guess, which is what I have been doing. Did I guess right?

My question actually was; "I'm still waiting for someone to explain exactly what a worldview is". Is that being disingenuous?

Last edited by 303Guy; 02-15-2021 at 04:32 PM..

Old 02-15-2021, 04:17 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
There are verses about questioning God in the NT also, so this is not just an OT concept.

Yes, but as I say that was ok back then. The gospels were yet to be written so Jesus was just answering the questions so we wouldn't be allowed...I mean..we wouldn't need to ask them today.

You see, It's all a question of Understanding the Bible. Removes theist hat and dumps with with a leaden clunk on the sideboard.

Quote:
That's all perfectly reasonable because 'Worldview' can mean a lot of things.

In fact you have had this explained so many times (with examples) that your refusal to listen and trying to trip up this or that atheist who responds to this lawyer trick of yours seem unreasonable. At least.

Old 02-15-2021, 05:59 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
OK, so I'm trying. Are you suggesting I have a materialistic worldview? Couldn't you just explain what you mean by worldview? Then I wouldn't need to guess, which is what I have been doing. Did I guess right?

My question actually was; "I'm still waiting for someone to explain exactly what a worldview is". Is that being disingenuous?
A world view is is many aspects of what you think. Its not one thing. It used as a replacement of "How you think about a given topic". I never understood the words "world view" myself because the word(s) implies so much.

Here in a religion and spirituality forum it would be what you believe in terms of a deity, non deity but something else. What do you think?

Like my world view (really not my world view but a small part of it) is that we just are not at the top of the reality stack. Past that I do not know.

And for some ... its about how you (not you...you...but a general you) feel about "heeling" when told to in order to keep your beliefs to yourself because we are fighting religion that hurt you and do not want to give them any "ammo". And how honest we are about it.

Last edited by Arach Angle; 02-15-2021 at 06:18 PM..

Old 02-15-2021, 08:05 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
A world view is is many aspects of what you think. Its not one thing. It used as a replacement of "How you think about a given topic". I never understood the words "world view" myself because the word(s) implies so much.

Here in a religion and spirituality forum it would be what you believe in terms of a deity, non deity but something else. What do you think?

Like my world view (really not my world view but a small part of it) is that we just are not at the top of the reality stack. Past that I do not know.

And for some ... its about how you (not you...you...but a general you) feel about "heeling" when told to in order to keep your beliefs to yourself because we are fighting religion that hurt you and do not want to give them any "ammo". And how honest we are about it.
Well, Iwas has pointed out that I have used the term 'materialist worldview' before to describe myself and I'm thinking that might be it. I'm waiting on his reply to my post.

Old 02-16-2021, 12:23 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
I'm still waiting for someone to explain exactly what a worldview is.

Why is it important to figure out if one is a deist or an agnostic?

And why is it important to have a 'worldview' (whatever that might be).

Obviously having no worldview is not important to me (or maybe I do have one without knowing it). I don't think about it so I guess I don't actually care. What I do care about is the view of my physical world out my front window and out the back where I look after the birds, one of which I raised and still comes in in the evenings to sleep. I care about having fun and doing interesting stuff, like fishing and being out there in the hills and forests.

Is that a worldview?
I think the idea is if you do not have a solid worldview, then you are not being rational, as that is the 'conclusion' IWas draws from every post that is not from a Christian. But the philosophy behind Weltanschauung is that everyone has a world view, whether it is rational or not, and in this modern, internet connected world, it is going to be more varied within a culture than a culture not connected to the internet.

And having a soft position on something is not irrational, it just means one does not have a definite position. I do not want to answer for Diesel, but I believe he accepts both non-belief and Deism as possibilities, but that is still a strong position because it means he has rejected all the other religious positions, leaving just the two.

Quote:
That is the problem, there is no exact definition.

Old 02-16-2021, 06:37 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,405,147 times
Quote:
Are you claiming your worldview is nothing more than a lack of belief in an omni- God??
That’s not a worldview.
As I said, you have no worldview. Is it not important to you to figure out if you’re a deist or an agnostic?
Both are possibilities. Not sure what the issue is here.

Old 02-16-2021, 08:02 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,405,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
And you fail to understand my personal view point, I read the Bible everyday. I said I won't dare question God, you can do what you want, but as for me, I won't dare question God. God had a purpose for these people you cited, they were not just anybody and I wouldn't compare myself to them. Must we be so negative as Christians, we are here to discuss, learn and grown in Christ and not to fight with each other. The way you come off tells a lot about you.
I used to be a believer in Christianity and then realized that it rationally did not make any sense on many levels. Add to the fact that I never really believed in the supernatural and that is what made me a non-believer in Christianity and in religion as a whole. Christianity is based on faith alone, evidence is not required.

As for you not daring to question God, of course that is your choice yet the Bible has multiple verses talking about how you are able to question God with no issues.

Last edited by Diesel350z; 02-16-2021 at 09:18 AM..

Old 02-16-2021, 08:06 AM

50,821 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Both are possibilities. Not sure what the issue is here.
I agree. For example, I once heard my grandfather asked why he was non religious. He said: "You're born. Ya live. Ya die. That's it". That was his world view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality