Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2021, 06:38 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
No, no, no, Arach. Let's not get off point. The fact that God is omni-powered also means that He has omni-knowledge. Just because He has the power to do something doesn't mean that He's "stupid" NOT do to do it.

Obviously, He has much, much MORE knowledge that WE do...which is WHY He hasn't done what "we" think He "should" have done.
I think this is a half truth. The universe is clearly processing far more "data" than we can. In fact, it quantum computed us. If he has omni power, meaning he can change it at a snap of a finger, then he could do things to change without the suffering we see. A thing that loves far more than we know and has power to do anything it wants can do little things to prevent mass suffering.

So, I think its about the traits you give the thing more than if it is there or not. The science clearly shows we are part of a larger more complex that may very well be alive (its at least very plausible). But it also looks like it can't do anything other than we see it doing for now.

Heck, maybe it made us left. Would that be something it coming back and saying "sorry guys, I got tied up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2021, 06:48 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
The point is this:

Phet and others seem to believe that God is some kind of "tyrant" for ordering others to kill "innocent" life. Yet, I asked the question(paraphrasing) "Was it o.k. for the US government--a.k.a. the President of the US to drop the bomb on Hiroshima, and also killing a number of innocent Japanese children? So far, phet said it wasn't "logical". Yet, it was done.

And does phet and/or others think it was so terrible, so awful so murderous, that phet and others should have moved away from the US? That phet should distance himself from the US for its decision?

Seems to me, that since phet has worked and lived in the US since the bombing, even though he didn't necessarily agree with the bombing, or find it "logical", that it would be "logical" for phet to have nothing to do with the US, just as phet proclaims that we Christians should have nothing to do with a God who ordered the slaying of a number of people during WAR.

Sorry, phet. But your "logic" escapes me, and your hypocrisy is obvious.

It makes no sense to condemn God during a time of war, yet absolve a country during war that commits the same "crimes".
yes, the tyrant angle is less valid. Its really just a weaponized version of a good god to hit people with.

But the simple fact remains that an all powerful loving thing can do it with far less suffering. Do little things at the right time to keep the suffering down. Like when that Chinese person let out corona, The vile, or whatever, just happened not to break. The persons says to themselves, :"I cen't believe that thing didn't break."

That is really what is being said.

Old 01-08-2021, 06:53 AM

4,483 posts, read 1,321,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I posted this several hours and several pages ago. It's the 2nd time in my 20-ish years navigating the interwebs that I have re-posted my own words.

I find it fascinating to see who is hiding, who is probably taking notes for his next attack from the rear, and who simply doesn't have the balls to reply.
Just saw your post Trout.

The New Testament is the Old Testament revealed, in other words, what is written in the Old Testament is revealed to us in the New Testament. Much to be said about that but not here!

Seems to me Trout you have had a bad experience along the way that's left you bitter inside toward God.

It saddens me to perceive this from your post. I can only tell you that although you may have been bruised along the way, God is the healer of the heart and soul and will release you from that prison.

I've been praying for you my friend as I have mentioned to you before, and I will continue to pray that God will prevail in your life.

Last edited by Charlie24; 01-08-2021 at 07:15 AM..

Old 01-08-2021, 08:16 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
Just saw your post Trout.

The New Testament is the Old Testament revealed, in other words, what is written in the Old Testament is revealed to us in the New Testament. Much to be said about that but not here!

Seems to me Trout you have had a bad experience along the way that's left you bitter inside toward God.

It saddens me to perceive this from your post. I can only tell you that although you may have been bruised along the way, God is the healer of the heart and soul and will release you from that prison.

I've been praying for you my friend as I have mentioned to you before, and I will continue to pray that God will prevail in your life.

Old 01-08-2021, 09:01 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,405,147 times
Quote:
Where did that something come from?

If you could answer that and prove it, you would be a very wealthy man.

But that can't be proven, so that leaves us at the crossroads that God left for man.
It's always been there. Infinite. are you able to wrap your head around that?

Old 01-08-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Diesel, I understand your point. As a human, all the things you listed are hard for us to understand, and at times, to bear. But the Universe wasn't created for our validation or pleasure. We have to accept the world as God created it.. willingly or defiantly. But we all live in the world as it is.. To dismiss (the Biblical) God as a failure I think is a self-interested, myopic (but sympathetically human) view..

Ps- just a philosophic point, why is it a fail if God changes course (?) The Bible explains why God has altered covenants etc, and it's usually human failure. And suggesting that taking 6 days to spawn Creation is a fail, that's a pretty exacting standard for defining successes vs failures. peace
The reason why these things are a failure is not because of our understanding of God but what the Bible describes God as, all powerful, all knowing and all loving.

Let me give you a perfect example. If he is all knowing, why did he ask Adam where he was and whether he had eaten fruit in Genesis? There are many head scratching verses in the Bible like this that put into question a supposed all knowing God.

Old 01-08-2021, 09:10 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Sounds like you are pulling the same card on god as they do in politics -anything wrong
He did
If I Cross the light on the red and get hit did god strike me down ?
Somehow along the road I got to stop blaming everybody else especially god for my bad moves

Old 01-08-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
That's not what He told me in His Word. Of course you don't believe, but the scripture says The Holy Spirit wrote the scripture through Godly men of old. I don't expect you to believe that, I expect you to laugh.

The God who created all things has the power to get exactly what He wants His Word to say. The scripture says that He places His Word above His very name.

But this is nonsense to you, and I expect that.
Well then our Gods are at odds because my God tell me different.

I'm not laughing at all, I'm using simple reason based on history. Scripture was passed down orally for decades by illeratate Aramaic speakers then translated and written down in ancient Greek, then translated again in English for us to read. Now tell me if the holy spirit wrote the scripture through Godly men why was it passed down orally for decades? How did the holy spirit work through the Godly men of old if they died? Did the holy spirit somehow jump from man to man for decades?

Old 01-08-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:
The evidence of God is nature, the human conscience, and the revelation of God in the heart of the believer.

You believe none of the above. How can I prove to you there is a God? I can't!

You have refused to believe on your own merit. You will not even consider it, the ears are shut to anything concerning a Creator.
All those things could be true. It still does not provide proof of the existence of the God of the Bible.

Old 01-08-2021, 09:19 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
THERE IS NO DANG DEFAULT BELIEF! We do not have a clue WHAT our Reality IS or IS NOT, period. That is known as its ontology. Science does NOT and can NOT answer what it IS or IS NOT only how it operates. There is no question about EXISTENCE since it exists, we just cannot know what it is or is not but you atheists want to demand we assume it is not God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality