Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2021, 02:53 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
We like to watch the Nature Channel here, and many of those programs that do an amazing job of "gushing" over nature. I'm guessing you might find those shows boring like lots of people do...
yup, you read me like a book. I been watching them since mutual of Omaha' wild kingdom. And yes, Attenborough definitely gushes a little more than I like sometimes. Love planet Earth. But they do show "alive" fits like a glove. Engineering wise anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2021, 05:33 PM

1,799 posts, read 562,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
How can what you bold Not[b] be taken both ways? Yes you should not tell someone they need religion, spirituality or to not believe or tell someone they need to have any of those.

No idea what the gold that cannot be defined means. I don't know this Advaita tradition you seem to often bring up.

I have a different view of what spirituality means to me than you seem to have. Nothing wrong with that is it?

Advaita is a Hindu school of thought that says everything in the universe is merely little bits of the ultimate source , Brahman (not to be confused with Brahma , which is a mortal male creator god in the Hindu pantheon). And a breed of cattle. And no, the ultimate source of all is not a bull . Brahman is not even worshipped in Hinduism because it is more of a state than a being. Taken to bare bones, Advaita teaches that we are all just the ultimate source (Brahman) existing and experiencing existence through everything. Including rocks, space dust,and black holes. Brahman is sort of a Big Bang concept of theology

Last edited by NatesDude; 01-30-2021 at 06:03 PM..

Old 01-30-2021, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I don't use live bait and release 95% of the fish I catch unharmed. The few I keep, I kill within seconds of landing, quickly and painlessly, and with thanks.

You may now return to your high horse.

I use live bait on bluegills, worms and crickets. I'll flog myself later Lures on bass , because I am usually too lazy to drive for minnows, which they do hit better.

Judging from your name I guess those are your preferred target. Unfortunately the closet trout fishing to me is Broken Bow about 3 hrs away.

You ever use a Tenkara rod?

Old 01-30-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Again thanks for the effort, and the analogies...

I've got a few real-life stories I could tell about that sense of thinking, believing and/or wanting "something more." Much of that sort of feeling pushed me through many a change during my career, different women, different places to live. Again I get it, as now I am very happily married with the same woman after over 30 years. Two wonderful kids who have grown to be good self-supporting people. Also happily retired, here by the ocean that has also always lured me toward where I felt I would enjoy the most fulfillment possible.

If in nature, or wherever else, you or anyone else senses there must be "something more," then I surely don't blame you or anyone else for searching or discovering what that something more might be, but I'm not sure your analogies work all that well for me. They do describe cases of thinking maybe "the grass is greener on the other side," and again I get all that. The analogy or example I'm more inclined to think better applies here is the person who has everything and is still not satisfied. Somehow not satisfied that "enough is as good as a feast."

If and when I sense I'm missing something or there is "something more" to be had worth pursuing, I've always done my best to "make the most out of life," to "live life to the fullest." For me that also involves good judgement with respect to what else may be out there as compared to recognizing this is as good as it gets. I've got no reasons to believe there is more, in large part because I feel very fortunate my life has turned out to be an experience better than I deserve. Not needing to search for anything more is something of a peaceful, satisfying, way to live as well.

So here's to your search and thanks for sharing. I've got nothing more than however best I can think to spend the day, and I'm not needing to go much further than where I am, physically or mentally. Spirituality is simply not something I recognize as real and not something I feel any need to pursue, so I leave that sort of effort or search to others. Happily so.

All is well. I am not selling anything, just answering questions about why I'm not an atheist . Maybe all this helps explain.

Old 01-30-2021, 05:58 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
I use live bait on bluegills, worms and crickets. I'll flog myself later Lures on bass , because I am usually too lazy to drive for minnows, which they do hit better.

Judging from your name I guess those are your preferred target. Unfortunately the closet trout fishing to me is Broken Bow about 3 hrs away.

You ever use a Tenkara rod?
I'll DM you sometime. Kinda off topic.

And/or we could talk fishing in the Pagan forum on the Chat About Anything thread. (I only gave up the live bait three years ago. Lindy-rigged floating crawlers were/are the best walleye bait ever. But I finally decided worms are people too.)

Old 01-30-2021, 09:44 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Advaita is a Hindu school of thought that says everything in the universe is merely little bits of the ultimate source , Brahman (not to be confused with Brahma , which is a mortal male creator god in the Hindu pantheon). And a breed of cattle. And no, the ultimate source of all is not a bull . Brahman is not even worshipped in Hinduism because it is more of a state than a being. Taken to bare bones, Advaita teaches that we are all just the ultimate source (Brahman) existing and experiencing existence through everything. Including rocks, space dust,and black holes. Brahman is sort of a Big Bang concept of theology
Most of the Brahma I am aware of our in the rodeos. They certainly cam buck and chase rodeo bull fighter (clowns)

Thanks for the info

Old 01-30-2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Most of the Brahma I am aware of our in the rodeos. They certainly cam buck and chase rodeo bull fighter (clowns)

Thanks for the info

Yeah, but you have to add the "n". Makes a big difference.

Brahman https://hinduwebsite.com/brahman.asp

Brahma (besides the bull) https://www.learnreligions.com/lord-...eation-1770300

Old 01-31-2021, 04:19 AM

Quote:
It fits "alive". They didn't know it back then, but that's what it fits. Much like "you" are the source of a blood cell in you.

Old 01-31-2021, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Would be great if next to everyone's moniker there was a number indicating their ranking with respect to what extent they are victim of confirmation bias. From 0 = completely open to contrary opinion without any bias of any kind to 10 = utterly closed-minded about any opinion contrary to theirs.
Yuppers. The scientific method is directly based on "confirmation bias". Its calls mechanisms and repeatable predictions.

That's why I always go to real time examples. What are people actually claiming and doing to maintain their belief. List the kinds of things they say and do when serous challenges come up. Saying we need to be careful in confirmation bias sounds great and all, but when we apply it to testing and retesting, which we can, thats when we need to have a sit down.

Old 01-31-2021, 09:39 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
It fits "alive". They didn't know it back then, but that's what it fits. Much like "you" are the source of a blood cell in you.
Confirmation bias - the tendency to interpret new evidence as confirmation of one's existing beliefs or theories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality