Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2021, 02:07 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
I can't believe I am reading what I am reading.

What you are saying is that you have drunk so much Kool-Aid that you can't determine that slavery is wrong unless your Fairy Tales tell you it is wrong.

Wow, just plain Wow!!!!!

I'm not a believer, by any stretch of the imagination, but your posts are beginning to make me think that there may be a Satan.
We all agree it's wrong. I'm asking you for our standard of right and wrong. What is it? Do you have one?

It's easy to put on the self-righteous act, and be offended rather than to answer the simple question, but I'm asking you if you can name a reason WHY something is immoral other than you simply don't like it?

Old 01-28-2021, 02:16 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Communist Countries have laws, lots of laws

Old 01-28-2021, 02:20 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Communist Countries have laws, lots of laws
So do capitalist countries. How does that speak to is murder immoral without a God?

Old 01-28-2021, 03:27 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
God allowed slavery, and regulated it. And it was a completely different thing than race-based chattel slavery as practiced in America today. So what?

If you believe slavery of any kind to be wrong, what do you base your opinion on? What tells you that it is or is not? Please give me your standard of morality.

The best you have is that you think society all agrees. I'm waiting for an actual standard of slavery that is bigger than us to define it. What is that? Can you give me one?
It's hard to believe anybody would even think to ask such a question. Slavery is wrong. Period. There is no possible circumstance in which it is acceptable to own another human being. None. That is most basic among all the things that a person can surmise from the Golden Rule, no matter which version you like best. That is very nearly universal among humans on earth, possibly further.

Old 01-28-2021, 03:30 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
It's hard to believe anybody would even think to ask such a question. Slavery is wrong. Period.

There is no possible circumstance in which it is acceptable to own another human being. None. That is most basic among all the things that a person can surmise from the Golden Rule, no matter which version you like best. That is very nearly universal among humans on earth, possibly further.
We all agree with that. No one here argues that.

Now let's get past that point. I'm asking you WHY it's wrong. What about it is wrong, and what do you look to make that observation? Don't just beg the question and say "because it is", because there are people today that disagree with you. There is STILL slavery happening in the world today. Based on WHAT do you declare it's wrong? I will appeal to my faith. What do YOU appeal to?

If you met someone that owned a slave today in another country, what would you say to them to tell them it's wrong when they believe it's perfectly acceptable?

Old 01-28-2021, 03:31 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
And that seems to equally apply to fundamentalists Jews , Muslims as well as Christians. Not sure what a fundamentalist atheist is as we have no writings that are taken literal, no books at all to take literal ir elsewise.

It may be that once you accept everything in your Holy Book to be absolutely true and accurate you can no longer use your own rationality, compassion or common sense else you may stand in contradict to the literal words. Just my guess or thoughts on it.

I would also guess that most religious people have morals very similar to those of non religious folks except perhaps on issues directly spoken about in their Holy Book.I certainly don't think my morals are anything unusual or special.
Refer to the atheist definition thread to see the fundy think type atheist. lmao, I forgot, you have me on ignore.

My bad.

Old 01-28-2021, 03:33 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
So do capitalist countries. How does that speak to is murder immoral without a God?
What it speaks to is that some people hold on to anti-god as tightly as some people hold on to god.

Oh my, I did it again ...lmao. My bad.

Old 01-28-2021, 04:12 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:

Now let's get past that point. I'm asking you WHY it's wrong. What about it is wrong, and what do you look to make that observation? Don't just beg the question and say "because it is", because there are people today that disagree with you. There is STILL slavery happening in the world today. Based on WHAT do you declare it's wrong? I will appeal to my faith. What do YOU appeal to?

If you met someone that owned a slave today in another country, what would you say to them to tell them it's wrong when they believe it's perfectly acceptable?
That you even have to ask that question is astounding. Since it is not OK for anyone to own me, it is also not OK for me to own anyone. Simple. It does harm to another person. It violates that most basic of human precepts: Be excellent to each other.

Old 01-28-2021, 04:34 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:

Do you think that telling a slave owner that it is wrong based on your faith will have anymore impact that simply telling them it is immoral?

Would you change a behaviour if a Hindu told you it was immoral based on their faith?

Not everyone is so needing an authority to have morality or in being immoral either

Old 01-28-2021, 04:39 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:
We all agree it's wrong. I'm asking you for our standard of right and wrong. What is it? Do you have one?

It's easy to put on the self-righteous act, and be offended rather than to answer the simple question, but I'm asking you if you can name a reason WHY something is immoral other than you simply don't like it?
To me that's a good question. Speaking for myself, I'm not sure I know how to answer. Where did my standards of right and wrong come from? Taught or demonstrated by my parents? My peers? What I figured out through life? Or all of the above?

Maybe I have the same or similar ideas of right and wrong to those of my parents because I share their characteristics? Thing is that we are exposed to societal norms all our lives so we may simply be picking up on those norms but then again it could be that it is in our basic character to have those norms. Most of us anyway. Stalin didn't seem to have those basic characteristics.

I can however say with certainty that I did not get my standards from the bible or Christian teachings. Sure, I did get told about some standards from Christian teachings but I can recall at an early age judging those Christian standards against my already accepted norms. Mostly they agreed with mine. I also recall never accepting the concept of hell. I also recall not accepting the concept of a man dying in agony for my 'sins'. I thought that was a really dumb idea.

Of relevance to the thread topic, when I was taught the ten commandments I accepted the "show shalt not kill" as logical. As a kid I could not hurt anyone.

Funny how I can remember what I did and thought when I was kid yet I can't remember what I was ..... sorry, I forgot was I was going to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality