Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2021, 08:21 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Obviously.

I'm just asking someone to give me an explanation of why some things are immoral without giving an opinion. STILL waiting, as it's gone completely over the head of anyone that has attempted to on this thread.
Like your reasons for immorality are not an opinion. Grow up.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:22 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,802,950 times
Quote:
Obviously.

I'm just asking someone to give me an explanation of why some things are immoral without giving an opinion. STILL waiting, as it's gone completely over the head of anyone that has attempted to on this thread.
It's all opinion, BF. Your explanations, my explanations, everybody's explanations. Why do you see some things as moral that others find reprehensible? Can you answer that with a concrete fact? I'm guessing not. And don't give me bible stuff. If your condoning of slavery is because you think it is condoned in the bible, in whatever form, then that's just another reason I'm glad I have nothing to do with your cruel taskmaster.

If you can't see what is immoral about owning another person and taking away their freedoms and free will, nothing any of us say will help you understand.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:23 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Welcome to the discussion. We've gotten past this point. Now please explain why that is true.
Are you seriously arguing that slavery is moral? Are you seriously saying that global consensus that slavery is wrong is invalid?

Old 01-29-2021, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Like your reasons for immorality are not an opinion. Grow up.
Exactly. He wants a reason from us, but fails to give one for himself.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:25 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
It's all opinion, BF. Your explanations, my explanations, everybody's explanations. Why do you see some things as moral that others find reprehensible? Can you answer that with a concrete fact? I'm guessing not. And don't give me bible stuff. If your condoning of slavery is because you think it is condoned in the bible, in whatever form, then that's just another reason I'm glad I have nothing to do with your cruel taskmaster.

If you can't see what is immoral about owning another person and taking away their freedoms and free will, nothing any of us say will help you understand.
Then if it's all opinions, there is no basis for forcing morality on anyone.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:25 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,931,126 times
"Without a God who is the source of morality, morality is just a matter of opinion."

Isn't it better to have morality based on an opinion, an opinion that was shaped through millenia of human experience, that for instance, allowing murder or adultery results in breakdown of society, rather than a simple "Because God said so"?

Leviticus 11:12. Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.

Supposedly God said that. Does that mean that eating shellfish is evil? What's evil about it? Why would God tell his people not to eat shellfish - just because He likes to make arbitrary rules?

Or could it be that, before the days of refrigeration or food preservation techniques, people experienced illnesses like salmonella whenever they ate shellfish, and concluded God was punishing them for this behavior, thus this rule made its way into Scripture?

Old 01-29-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Please tell me what you find moral about slavery apart from what your bible says. Concrete facts, no opinion, no bible.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:28 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
"Without a God who is the source of morality, morality is just a matter of opinion."

Isn't it better to have morality based on an opinion, an opinion that was shaped through millenia of human experience, that for instance, allowing murder or adultery results in breakdown of society, rather than a simple "Because God said so"?
Under that logic, our society today has no basis for declaring the holocaust as wrong.
Quote:
Leviticus 11:12. Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.

Supposedly God said that. Does that mean that eating shellfish is evil? What's evil about it? Why would God tell his people not to eat shellfish - just because He likes to make arbitrary rules?

Or could it be that, before the days of refrigeration or food preservation techniques, people experienced illnesses like salmonella whenever they ate shellfish, and concluded God was punishing them for this behavior, thus this rule made its way into Scripture?
Completely different society, different time, place. He wasn't speaking to you or me when he said that, but was speaking to a nation of people living in the desert. He told them to not eat those things. He later said it was ok. So enjoy your crab legs in butter.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Exactly.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:29 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
There's a fine recipe for a social collapse. There's a enablement for a dictator to say that the say-so of the one with the power is the only valid morality. There's an agenda for a theocracy. There's another fine mess you've gotten yourself into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Because people do not like being hurt, and it is wrong for others to hurt you.

The logic is not that difficult.
It's reciprocity or the golden rule - the basics of human ethics, aside from instincts. It even appears in the gospels, if that is the only thing that BF will accept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality