Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2021, 11:28 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
So your OPINION is that we should follow that?
It is a moral as well and practical and logical conclusion based on a personal preference that we as a species have. What more could you want as a basis, never mind that a god saying so would be no more than opinion without validation?

Quote:
Ok. I'm done. let me know when you wish to have an honest discussion. I just haven't seen that from you. You have rejected the very simple question that I've asked and you keep changing the topic.
Hilarious. You're the one that keeps hopping from one apologetic to the other. I answer, you reject the answer, including the 'very simple' one you asked and now you are doing a Flounce. I'm surprised that you caved in and ran away so quickly in fact.

Old 01-29-2021, 11:31 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
So your OPINION is that we should follow that?
No, it's my command.

Old 01-29-2021, 11:35 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It is a moral as well and practical and logical conclusion based on a personal preference that we as a species have. What more could you want as a basis, never mind that a god saying so would be no more than opinion without validation?
Ultimately, it's an opinion. THat's the best that anyone has given -- an OPINION of what morality is. Ultimately, opinions are not authoritative. So again, if it's an OPINION you're basing your morality on, then murder cannot be declared "wrong". The best you got is to say you don't like it.

Old 01-29-2021, 11:37 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:
He allowed it for a time. He never said it was good. And he gave the allowance to Israel. We are not Israel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
If it wasn't good, he should have said so. He should have told the religious leaders in the Confederacy too.
A thought crosses my mind - why should a God who allows his son to suffer tortuous death on the cross for a time (a weekend on the cross would have seemed like an eternity), not allow slavery and the suffering that would often have gone with it, for a time too? Like a few thousand years worth.

Old 01-29-2021, 11:39 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Default "Authority!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No, it's my command.
(any excuse )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqG7iDCxgqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
A thought crosses my mind - why should a God who allows his son to suffer tortuous death on the cross for a time (a weekend on the cross would have seemed like an eternity), not allow slavery and the suffering that would often have gone with it, for a time too? Like a few thousand years worth.
It is not a thought that hasn't crossed the mind of the doubting believer that it makes more sense if their god is a bit of a bad lot.

Quote:
Ultimately, it's an opinion. THat's the best that anyone has given -- an OPINION of what morality is. Ultimately, opinions are not authoritative. So again, if it's an OPINION you're basing your morality on, then murder cannot be declared "wrong". The best you got is to say you don't like it.
You are ignoring the instinct and the logic behind the individual well being extended to to the family, tribe, nation and then to everyone.

If you can't see that how that's better and more valid than the say so of a Being (if it even exists) then there is no point in discussing with you.

Old 01-29-2021, 11:39 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:
I don't recall God ever declaring murder wrong. It would in any case be just his opinion.

Old 01-29-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I don't recall God ever declaring murder wrong. It would in any case be just his opinion.
10 Commandments.

And yes--it's his opinion. But since all morality is based on his character -- his opinions -- since he CREATED the universe, it's a big deal. We can know that it's wrong because he said it is. He then also wrote it on our hearts, referred to by some her as the "Natural Law", and it's what Paul stated in Romans 1. We know it's wrong. Many simply suppress the knowledge of it, and other things he's commanded, but we know it's wrong.

Old 01-29-2021, 11:46 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
So there is no authority when it comes to morality by your definition.

Old 01-29-2021, 11:48 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
10 Commandments.

And yes--it's his opinion. But since all morality is based on his character -- his opinions -- since he CREATED the universe, it's a big deal. We can know that it's wrong because he said it is. He then also wrote it on our hearts, referred to by some her as the "Natural Law", and it's what Paul stated in Romans 1. We know it's wrong. Many simply suppress the knowledge of it, and other things he's commanded, but we know it's wrong.
No, all morality is not based on his character or his opinions. That's your opinion, not fact. That your bible God created the universe, again, opinion. Yours. And others too, but opinions, nonetheless.

I know your bottom line is if it's in the bible, it's fact. But it's not. And from what I see of the God of the bible in many instances, I would say he himself has a morality issue.

Old 01-29-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
No, all morality is not based on his character or his opinions. That's your opinion, not fact. That your bible God created the universe, again, opinion. Yours. And others too, but opinions, nonetheless.

I know your bottom line is if it's in the bible, it's fact. But it's not. And from what I see of the God of the bible in many instances, I would say he himself has a morality issue.
So what is the standard for morality? If you believe murder to be always wrong, then what is the standard that declares it so. I'll be waiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality