Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2021, 10:22 AM

50,818 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Sorry, but the fact is that a religiously hag -ridden mindset is half of America's problems.
And part of the world's problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 10:30 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Better than telling anyone to go to hell...
yup ... But that's not how form a relative reliable list. Its not how rational people think. Rational people line up the claims, List why the person is weighting what they are saying. Then discuss.

Like I said, you are tagging alone because thats what you think "Its better than religion". I just don't have those ties. All I do is look at what people are claiming.

stating they are going to hell" and lying that mystic didn't go to the science forum are both wrong.

there is no need to believe but when the evidence supports a belief ... its ok to believe it.

My evidence:

I used evidence to show that you are part of the universe that has awareness. I used evidence to show that I am a part of the universe that has awareness. I use adding up all the life forms surrounding us as evidence that we are surrounded by parts of the universe that have awareness.

I also included the we are all on spacetime to show that we are not separate pieces but rather we are nodes of complexity in a system. Because of spacetime and the fields we act more like a system producing a whole than isolated pieces. Like your brain is the node of complexity in you.

Lack belief in that amounts to lacking belief in evolution like some theist do. There isnt a need for me to believe.

There is not a need to lack belief either.

Old 02-14-2021, 10:33 AM

63,811 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
The BPN 'neurons' are modeled on our neurons, with a mathematical step function to replicate the electro-chemical firing of actual neurons. The fact that artificial systems using a similar process do the same jobs as our brains is strong evidence they are doing the same thing, from remembering different tunes to pattern recognition to facial recognition.
No, consciousness, if it is replicable, is currently not because of :
1) the different scale in the 2 systems. I usually use around 20 neurons, the brain 80 billion.
2) we do not know how the brain produces consciousness (although the evidence is that it does).
You keep repeating this despite me saying I understand this view. But ONCE AGAIN, just because we have ONE reality does not mean that reality has the same properties as the individual parts. Otherwise it would be positive (protons), negative (electrons) and neutral (neutrons) at the same time.
For an alleged intellect, you appear to have a problem understanding English.
Apparently, you do NOT understand the single entity concept. Take you as a single entity, YOU are conscious but not every cell or organ, or biota that comprise you are. Why do you have trouble translating that to Reality as a single entity?

Old 02-14-2021, 10:39 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Apparently, you do NOT understand the single entity concept. Take you as a single entity, YOU are conscious but not every cell or organ, or biota that comprise you are. Why do you have trouble translating that to Reality as a single entity?
Great question! Why would anyone have trouble understanding the single entity concept?

Since I know that single entity coverage is a type of insurance policy that covers all real property in a condominium, including both the common areas shared by all property owners as well as the individual units, I totally get your single entity concept. Not sure where that leaves us actually, but it leaves me having to leave for now.

Happy XOXO day!

Old 02-14-2021, 11:03 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
This is your problem, not mine. I am conscious, but not the biosphere / solar system / universe. Why do YOU have trouble translating that to Reality as a single entity?

Old 02-14-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
That is it. It so plain and simple.

But remember mystic, you keep arguing from a science perspective. Basically, youre thinking they are arguing about a statement that matches what we see happing around us.

They are not arguing from that perspective. They are only arguing from a "I can't give them any ammo at all." perspective.

I think if you keep that in the back of your mind it wont be so frustrating. Like I know trans sees it. He even tries to throw me a bone every now again about "Please, you are giving them ammo and we are her to stop religion."

Its just that plan does not have enough integrity for me to bite. Way to much suffering will happen when we describe reality based on a statement of belief about god. I would atheist just describe reality as it is with answering all the time to theist.

Old 02-14-2021, 11:08 AM

63,811 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
This is your problem, not mine. I am conscious, but not the biosphere / solar system/universe. Why do YOU have trouble translating that to Reality as a single entity?
Since you are the conscious part of the single entity, Reality, how is the single entity not conscious? Your knees are not conscious when considering you as a single entity. So it IS the perspective of Reality as a single entity that you are unable to conceive.

Old 02-14-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Since you are the conscious part of the single entity, Reality, how is the single entity not conscious? Your knees are not conscious when considering you as a single entity. So it IS the perspective of Reality as a single entity that you are unable to conceive.
I like the single entity wording.

yeah, there is way to much evidence that we are part of the biosphere. Especially when we look back ten thousand years ago. We are directly part if it. Today we are killing it so it looks less alive. I mean "lack belief " in that is exactly like theist that lack belief in evolution at this point.

Its really so simple.

I dont see a forward thinking biosphere tho. But I don't see a forward think 3 week old fetus ether. I see it evolving tho.

Old 02-14-2021, 11:36 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Since you are the conscious part of the single entity, Reality, how is the single entity not conscious?
Since the moon is a non-conscious part of the single entity, Reality, how is the single entity conscious? Since most of the universe is a non-conscious part of the single entity, Reality, how is the single entity conscious?

How often do we need to explain you are using the composition fallacy?

Quote:
Your knees are not conscious when considering you as a single entity. So it IS the perspective of Reality as a single entity that you are unable to conceive.
And now a non sequitur. Will the fallacies never end?

And the Ripper murders another family of straw men.

Old 02-14-2021, 11:42 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Then we are talking of basing a faith claim on the interpretation (and who can deny that some cultural pump -priming is in there?) of funny feelings.
You reductive reasoning is not get you anywhere. Not with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality