Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2021, 08:10 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,941,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
From the Atheist FAQ

What is atheism? Is it a religion?

Atheism is a very narrow position about belief in deities. It is the lack of belief in ANY deity.

“Atheist” literally means “without god” and the opposite term is “Theist”. A theist believes in one or more gods, an atheist believes in no gods at all.

I have to admit I don't see why any atheist would take issue with this formal CD definition.
so it is belief. belief that gods don’t exist. it has to be belief as there is no evidence either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 08:19 PM

1,799 posts, read 558,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
so it is belief. belief that gods don’t exist. it has to be belief as there is no evidence either way.

Can you quote the phrase from above that says "gods don't exist" ?

As I said to another, if a person is insistent for some silly reason to use the word belief with regards to atheism, it can be called a belief that there is no evidence for gods. If that makes your day, then have at it. I'm not sure what "believing that there is no evidence" gets you , but be happy with it I guess.

But no, atheism doesn't claim that gods don't exist. It doesn't believe in any gods because it sees no evidence for them. These are two different things, at least for those well versed in English. I don't believe there is life on the moon Europa, as I haven't seen any evidence to support this conclusion. I don't however claim to know that there is no life on Europa. I don't have the ability to know this. Again, two different things in the English language. Important differences, BTW.

Old 02-16-2021, 08:25 PM

belief in no god at all is a belief. it says it right there. just believe it. who cares

Old 02-16-2021, 08:30 PM

Quote:
belief in no god at all is a belief. it says it right there. just believe it. who cares
The same could be asked of you. Atheism is defined officially as a lack of belief in gods, not a belief that gods don't exist. Why does that bother you? Why do you argue against established definitions of atheism, including ones by official atheist organizations who understand their stance far better than you do?

Atheists typically resist the erroneous definition of theists because theists seek to make a lack of belief into a belief system, which is a ridiculous concept, so that they can claim both views are faith based. Theists seem to have issues with the fact they believe based on faith .

Old 02-16-2021, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
The same could be asked of you. Atheism is defined officially as a lack of belief in gods, not a belief that gods don't exist. Why does that bother you? Why do you argue against established definitions of atheism, including ones by official atheist organizations who understand their stance far better than you do?

Atheists typically resist the erroneous definition of theists because theists seek to make a lack of belief into a belief system, which is a ridiculous concept, so that they can claim both views are faith based. Theists seem to have issues with the fact they believe based on faith .
This what YOU quoted from the sacred text, the FAQ
, an atheist believes in no gods at all. It is a verb.
#252 NatesDude

Old 02-16-2021, 09:41 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,091,717 times

Old 02-16-2021, 09:52 PM

22,011 posts, read 19,112,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
People's intuition can lead to totally different conclusions. Not a reliable tool,
people say that about books too. "books have different conclusions. so books are not reliable"
so then.... don't read books? that is what the view above seems to be advocating.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:54 PM

50,467 posts, read 24,044,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
people say that about books too. "books have different conclusions. so books are not reliable"
so do you not read books either?
That's a foolish analogy.

Intuition is totally vague. An adult knows that.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:17 PM

Quote:
This what YOU quoted from the sacred text, the FAQ
, an atheist believes in no gods at all. It is a verb.
#252 NatesDude

True. As I said already, if it fills you with some sense of contentment to be able to say atheists believe that the is a lack of evidence for god, have fun with it

Old 02-16-2021, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
think of paths of religion and spirituality as a map. looking at the map and talking about the map get you nowhere. if you want to validate what is on the map you follow it and see what the lands are like that the map describes.

I take it that you have no firm, solid evidence to offer then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality