Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2021, 10:32 PM

50,083 posts, read 20,582,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
This what YOU quoted from the sacred text, the FAQ
, an atheist believes in no gods at all. It is a verb.
#252 NatesDude
Unfortunately that is a bit misleading...I know we wrote it. .. it can mean 'we do not give belief to any gods at all' or 'we firmly believe there are no gods'. The latter is a claim that can't be proved so the former Has to be the default. I strongly doubt that there are any, but I don't know for sure and I know I don't.
Quote:
so it is belief. belief that gods don’t exist. it has to be belief as there is no evidence either way.
No, it logically has to be a lack of belief. A belief in either way of 'not known' is unvalidated so the interpretation had to be ''does not believe in any gods' which fits that quote equally well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
there is a evidence and validation available. But if a person does not seek it, or does not find it, that does not mean the evidence does not exist.

for instance: intuition. there are atheists on the forum who are unable to recognize and differentiate between "intellect" and "intuition." if a person does not develop and use their intuition, that does not mean intuition does not exist. it means a person has chosen not to develop and use their intuition.
There ia concept called 'intuition'. So far as I know it is a hit and miss faith -claim like finding that God is seen to operate in their lifes. You count the hits and ignore the misses.

At the same time there are instinctive faculties we have we aren't even aware of and hardly think of let alone try to explain. Intuition might come under that, but so far as I'm aware it's a human thing rather than Somethig More. You have to prove it was the latter rather than appeal to gullibility to make a case.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 02-16-2021 at 10:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 10:37 PM

22,007 posts, read 19,112,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Unfortunately that is a bit misleading...I know we wrote it. .. it can mean 'we do not give belief to any gods at all' or 'we firmly believe there are no gods'. The latter is a claim that can't be proved so the former Has to be the default. I strongly doubt that there are any, but I don't know for sure and I know I don't.
that is correct.
you don't know.

as the FAQ states, "We don’t know that there are no gods. Atheism is a belief position, not a knowledge position."

Old 02-16-2021, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
I take it that you have no firm, solid evidence to offer then?
i have plenty of validation. for myself.
you need to find your own. no one is going to do it for you.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:46 PM

Quote:
You can believe whatever you like. If you want me to believe it too, you need to validate it. If you can't or won't, that's your problem, not mine.

Quote:
that is correct.
you don't know.

as the FAQ states, "We don’t know that there are no gods. Atheism is a belief position, not a knowledge position."
Again open to misinterpretation - if someone want to do it hard enough. It is a belief - position: a position on the belief claim 'There is a god'. We don't believe it. That's the atheist position, no matter whatever you might Want to claim it is.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 02-16-2021 at 11:01 PM..

Old 02-16-2021, 10:53 PM

1,799 posts, read 558,330 times
Quote:
Very true. I have enough validation for myself also. But you commented in a discussion about physical evidence , then fail to provide it when asked.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:54 PM

Quote:
You can believe whatever you like. If you want me to believe it to, you need to validate it. If you can't or won't, that's your problem, not mine.
Again open to misinterpretation - if someone want to do it hard enough. It is a belief - position: a position on the belief claim 'There is a god'. We don't believe it. That's the atheist position, no matter whatever you might Want to claim it is.
i'm not claiming anything.
i am simply quoting the FAQ sticky note in the Atheism section of the forum.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
Very true. I have enough validation for myself also. But you commented in a discussion about physical evidence , then fail to provide it when asked.
what role does intuition have in your daily life and in your chosen path of religion and spirituality?

Old 02-16-2021, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Nobody says it isn't, because nobody knows. That's what agnosticism is. Not knowing. How do we come to know? Somebody has to prove it. Faith claims, revelations and woo doesn't do it,nor appeal to unknowns, self delusion and ascribing finding your car -keys to answered prayer. None of that proves a god. Not even a plausible thery - if you had one. Why aren't you able to get this? And
misrepresenting it. I'm correcting you. 'cue' 'who made you spokesbod?' To which: 'I'm stating the belief -position that logic obliges us to'.
so you don't like the FAQ sticky note in the atheism forum?
i find that amusing.

Old 02-16-2021, 11:00 PM

Quote:
so you don't like the FAQ sticky note in the atheism forum?
i find that amusing.
I do too. But it is open to interpretation and might be improved - only because you people insist on wishing false interpretations of the unfortunately ambiguous wording. Which really didn't occur to us at the time - we knew what we meant.

It is a familiar theist apologetic to insist that they know what we mean better than we do.

Quote:
Non-belief.
Which (to be valid) depends on what? I'll give you three guesses.

Old 02-16-2021, 11:03 PM

1,799 posts, read 558,330 times
Quote:
what role does intuition have in your daily life and in your chosen path of religion and spirituality?
Some I suppose. My beliefs are based partly on quantum physics and partly on the non dual experiences of mystics ( I hate the word but there isn't really another ) from all spectrums, including atheism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality