Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 12:34 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times

Advertisements

"Never look back. Something might be gaining."

- Satchel Paige

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"When you come to a fork in the road - take it."

- Yogi Berra

"Animals are people too."

- TroutDude

"I'm not afraid of death. I just don't want to be there when it happens."

- Woody Allen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 01:32 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
"Words like "freedom," "justice," "democracy" are not common concepts; on the contrary, they are rare. People are not born knowing what these are. It takes enormous and, above all, individual effort to arrive at the respect for other people that these words imply." ~ James Baldwin

“Death is not extinguishing the light; it is only putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.” ~ Rabindranath Tagore

"If you're always gonna do what you always did, then you're always gonna get what you always got." ~ attributed at different times to Henry Ford, Moms Mabley, Albert Einstein, Mark Twain...

Old 02-11-2021, 03:17 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Clean our side of the street first.

"we never claimed our side was clean so it can remain as is" Thats just funny.
Just saying

Last edited by Arach Angle; 02-11-2021 at 03:36 PM..

Old 02-11-2021, 03:37 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
In line with your photo ... Ignorance is bliss.
Tell that to a man on a desert island with only tinned food, but no idea how to use a tin -opener.

Old 02-11-2021, 03:46 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
"Don't believe what your eyes are telling you. All they show is limitation. Look with your understanding, find out what you already know, and you'll see the way to fly." From Jonathan Livingston Seagull.
It seems that some of these quotes require a bit of reading or interpretation. Take for instance ' a sausage has two ends' or rather a beginning and an end - from the human point of view.

And Nate's chirping bird needs a read, too. As observed the birds are yelling warnings, rather than singing with joy at the beauty of nature. Like the start of the sausage (from the view of the eater) it makes sense in a human view, so long as we don't confuse our view with the reality.

Which is where the quote from the story of Mr. Seagull makes sense, otherwise it is a recipe for self delusion.

Or as George Ives said to Charles, "It's ok to do that - if you know what you're doing."

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
"Never look back. Something might be gaining."

- Satchel Paige

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"When you come to a fork in the road - take it."

- Yogi Berra

"Animals are people too."

- TroutDude

"I'm not afraid of death. I just don't want to be there when it happens."

- Woody Allen
good ones, which decided me..I won't post any Arq Atheist Axioms. We have the 10 Truths already.

I will do this one though "I love humanity - it's people I can't stand." (Linus Van Pelt)

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 02-11-2021 at 05:01 PM..

Old 02-11-2021, 03:55 PM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
"Words like "freedom," "justice," "democracy" are not common concepts; on the contrary, they are rare. People are not born knowing what these are. It takes enormous and, above all, individual effort to arrive at the respect for other people that these words imply." ~ James Baldwin

“Death is not extinguishing the light; it is only putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.” ~ Rabindranath Tagore

"If you're always gonna do what you always did, then you're always gonna get what you always got." ~ attributed at different times to Henry Ford, Moms Mabley, Albert Einstein, Mark Twain...
The bold is one of my favorites, MQ.

Old 02-11-2021, 04:40 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
I've always liked this one:

"Don't sweat the petty stuff."

and, of course, it's corollary:

"Don't pet the sweaty stuff."

Last edited by mensaguy; 02-15-2021 at 07:03 AM..

Old 02-11-2021, 05:40 PM

1,799 posts, read 562,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I've always like this one:

"Don't sweat the petty stuff."

and, of course, it's corollary:

"Don't pet the sweaty stuff."

George Carlin, if I remember correctly.

Old 02-11-2021, 05:42 PM

1,799 posts, read 562,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Tell that to a man on a desert island with only tinned food, but no idea how to use a tin -opener.

I do find it funny that in a thread entitled "quotes to live by" , meaning the contributor , that his particular choice is "ignorance is bliss".

Old 02-11-2021, 05:47 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Since this is the Religion & Spirituality forum...and I know how some of you have viewed me over these past 11 years:

"I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
Genghis Khan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality