Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2021, 07:41 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Thank you for clearing up what HJ99's argument is but I would like to hear from them directly.
I don't trust the Woo-infested and agenda driven response that you always have. Doubt is the most reasonable position. Better than the unicorn like Non-Belief.
You are only too welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2021, 09:39 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Absence is not evidence.
Absence is evidence when absence should not be expected.

Quote:
The obsession with hell that atheists have in attributing motives to the religious does not indicate that THEY are free of the fear of hell.
We are responding to religious beliefs. We do not fear hell, but we do know some Christians do. They tell us.

Quote:
Religious teachings give hope to people who need it, and hell is not a good carrot.
It is not the good that is the problem.

Old 02-20-2021, 02:04 PM

2,962 posts, read 863,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I certainly don't, myself. I am more worried about the earth being hit by an asteroid (1), and yet that doesn't keep me awake at night.

I can say that some deconverts have said that the residual fear of hell still bothers them, even though they don't really believe in it anymore. That's as much as I can say towards Iwas's assertion.
Thanks for backing me up. I think it’s much more prevalent than that, though. I rarely mention hell but whenever I do, regardless of the context, the inevitable, automatic response by atheists is to label it “hellthreat”.

Why? It’s just make-believe, right? There shouldn’t be such an emotional reaction unless there was some concern about one’s eternal fate.

The bottom line is that you are not certain that the God of the Bible does not exist. You have acknowledged that repeatedly. It logically follows that you are also not certain that you won’t go to hell. Can you acknowledge that as well?

Old 02-20-2021, 02:28 PM

50,806 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Thanks for backing me up. I think it’s much more prevalent than that, though. I rarely mention hell but whenever I do, regardless of the context, the inevitable, automatic response by atheists is to label it “hellthreat”.

Why? It’s just make-believe, right? There shouldn’t be such an emotional reaction unless there was some concern about one’s eternal fate.

The bottom line is that you are not certain that the God of the Bible does not exist. You have acknowledged that repeatedly. It logically follows that you are also not certain that you won’t go to hell. Can you acknowledge that as well?
But ONCE AGAIN, you have refused to answer the question (in one form or another) that was put to you.

Which atheist posters on this site have expressed any fear of hell? By screen name. Who?

Who are all these atheists you are meeting with and talking to that have expressed this fear of hell. I can count the number of atheists I've met personally on one hand and still have several fingers left over. Who are these people that you claim have said this to you?

This is what we mean every time we complain that you don't answer questions asked of you.

Old 02-20-2021, 02:38 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
...snip...

This is what we mean every time we complain that you don't answer questions asked of you.
It is not here for engaging in honest discourse.

It never was.

It never will be.

Old 02-20-2021, 02:44 PM

1,799 posts, read 562,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post

Do you really think atheists go around worrying about the gods and hells of every religion? Do you worry about possibly going to the Muslim or Hindu hell?

You are inventing these claims of yours from mere personal fantasy. You cannot show anyone who does this. Christopher Hitchens refuted gods til his dying day. So did Carl Sagan. No prominent atheist expresses worry over this, and no one has seen this from any atheist here either. Lots of theists WANT them to worry about it, but none seem to ,regardless of your baseless claims.

Old 02-20-2021, 02:45 PM

63,808 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Absence is evidence when absence should not be expected.
What exactly would be the scientific measure of the presence of God that would signal no God by its absence?

Old 02-20-2021, 02:50 PM

1,799 posts, read 562,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What exactly would be the scientific measure of the presence of God that would signal no God by its absence?

Since theists are the ones making claims of invisible spiritual beings existing, the question rather is what would be the scientific measure of the presence of God that would signal God by its presence?

And please don't revert to your pantheistic god=universe argument. We have established that what you posit is a god that is transcendent of the universe and exists outside the known universe as well as being part of the known universe. Pantheism now fails you for a panentheistic god.

Old 02-20-2021, 02:54 PM

2,962 posts, read 863,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
But ONCE AGAIN, you have refused to answer the question (in one form or another) that was put to you.

Which atheist posters on this site have expressed any fear of hell? By screen name. Who?

Who are all these atheists you are meeting with and talking to that have expressed this fear of hell. I can count the number of atheists I've met personally on one hand and still have several fingers left over. Who are these people that you claim have said this to you?

Are you requesting that I use my forum-searching skills to provide quotes and name names?

Old 02-20-2021, 03:01 PM

63,808 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
Since theists are the ones making claims of invisible spiritual beings existing, the question rather is what would be the scientific measure of the presence of God that would signal God by its presence?
And please don't revert to your pantheistic god=universe argument. We have established that what you posit is a god that is transcendent of the universe and exists outside the known universe as well as being part of the known universe. Pantheism now fails you for a panentheistic god.
Everything we can measure and everything we cannot measure are evidence of the Presence of God under panentheism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality