Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2021, 08:00 PM

63,387 posts, read 39,639,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
Yet you simply define gods attributes the same as the universes attributes, and come up with a mere pantheistic version of god that even atheists can accept , as there are atheistic pantheists.

So there is nothing specifically theistic about it all.
Except for that part of pantheism that contains "theism.." LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 12:20 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,604,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
How strange - you make a good argument for atheism without intending to.

Yes, a sliding -scale of probability must (on practical terms) reach a point where one believes or not. Though the confidence in that belief or disbelief matches the scale of probability.

Or that's the way it ought to work. So that's fine, but then you think this proves totally the wrong conclusion: This "Non-Belief" stuff is bogus.

And your second point is you eject that not having a belief in this or that = non -belief about it. Generally they would indeed equate. I can't think of how that wouldn't be the case. Care to explain?
No. Again...there is no such thing as "non-belief" in anything one has considered/contemplated.
"Non-belief" is a bogus concept that is rolled out by those that have a phobia for the term "Belief"...because ANY term associated with Theism must be rejected at all costs.
So, some Atheists offer "Non-belief" as a shield to avoid having to own their Belief Position relative to the existence of a God Entity.
It's illogical and a obvious evasion.

Old 02-28-2021, 12:31 AM

15,792 posts, read 6,201,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
No. Again...there is no such thing as "non-belief" in anything one has considered/contemplated.
"Non-belief" is a bogus concept that is rolled out by those that have a phobia for the term "Belief"...because ANY term associated with Theism must be rejected at all costs.
So, some Atheists offer "Non-belief" as a shield to avoid having to own their Belief Position relative to the existence of a God Entity.
If you don't know about something that's not knowing. If you hear a claim and don't accept it is that not believing in that claim. If you want to call me saying the unknown is the unknown is a belief I don't have a problem with that. When you make your claims I believe you don't know enough to assert them as true. So that's a belief I guess.

How you going to accuse someone of playing word games when you swiped God from the theists and then use it in a theistic sense when calling out atheists but then pull the old switch a roo on it. Is God a pretzel?

Old 02-28-2021, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
No, you are jumping the gun. I said what we know for sure is that it is the universe. No matter what else we know or don't know, we know it is the universe. Why not call it that? Why move away from a word we KNOW is accurate and factual ?
"God" is a title...that can be validly assigned to that which comports definitively and objectively exists.
"God" is defined as The Supreme or Ultimate Reality.
ALL that exists (The Universe, Nature, etc) certainly is that...and thus comports definitively as "God".
It's objective existence is, of course, self-substantiating.
Thus: God.
And there is no "non-belief" about it...for those that are able to observe & make a critical analysis.

Old 02-28-2021, 12:59 AM

15,792 posts, read 6,201,871 times
Quote:
"God" is a title...that can be validly assigned to that which comports definitively and objectively exists.
"God" is defined as The Supreme or Ultimate Reality.
ALL that exists (The Universe, Nature, etc) certainly is that...and thus comports definitively as "God".
It's objective existence is, of course, self-substantiating.
Thus: God.
And there is no "non-belief" about it...for those that are able to observe & make a critical analysis.
What is the Supreme and Ultimate Reality? (and don't say God)

Old 02-28-2021, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
If you don't know about something that's not knowing. If you hear a claim and don't accept it is that not believing in that claim. If you want to call me saying the unknown is the unknown is a belief I don't have a problem with that. When you make your claims I believe you don't know enough to assert them as true. So that's a belief I guess.

How you going to accuse someone of playing word games when you swiped God from the theists and then use it in a theistic sense when calling out atheists but then pull the old switch a roo on it. Is God a pretzel?
If you hear a claim and don't accept it...that is the belief that it is unacceptable.
Once I hear a claim, and consider and contemplate it enough to determine whether I accept it or not...that denotes a Belief Position relative to it.
If I determine the claim to be unacceptable...that's my Belief Position about it. Not my "Non-Belief".

Old 02-28-2021, 01:19 AM

Quote:
The Supreme or Ultimate Reality...is a known, formal, expert, definition for the word/term/title "G-O-D".
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/god

Old 02-28-2021, 02:47 AM

10,898 posts, read 5,866,803 times
Quote:
Non-belief is a position relative to the existence of a god entity. That is our position. We don't believe it. It's neither an evasion nor illogical. How can not believing something unbelievable be illogical?

Old 02-28-2021, 04:45 AM

16,579 posts, read 4,865,560 times
Quote:

You are arguing with someone who is arguing not believing something is a bogus position.

Old 02-28-2021, 04:53 AM

50,079 posts, read 20,477,123 times
Quote:
He Said It.

Quote:
The Supreme or Ultimate Reality...is a known, formal, expert, definition for the word/term/title "G-O-D".
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/god
I think you are being deliberately needling by picking ip and recycling one of Mystic's debunked arguments just to be cheeky.

But thanks for giving me the chance to show it.

quotemine - "God : the supreme or ultimate reality:" (e.e 'everything')

in context.

God : the supreme or ultimate reality: such as
a: the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped (as in Judaism, Christianity, Islam, and Hinduism) as creator and ruler of the universe

(i.e, various 'Omnis')
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality