Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 07:26 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times

Advertisements

As we have seen in more than this thread, pseudo-sages have issues with concepts such as reality, logic and rationality.

Poor things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 08:22 PM

15,962 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Since I am atheist i can really only speak to atheism.

again. its not the "non believing" that is the problem. Its how people address what they do believe.

Here it has a few layers. And in no large part some believe "That for some of us religion is the most dangerous thing to this world"

They then turn their statement of belief about god into a weapon. Just like some theist do. Because atheism and theism has some of the same think types in them.
frankly i have never paid any attention to atheism myself so this atheistic fervor i see here is quite surprising to me .i think of madeline O’hare as the face of atheism but i know that is not fair.
i do wish however that R&S could have discussions without getting drawn into these circular arguments about a fake thing that does not exist as non-belief. but now i do understand why belief is resisted but fake arguments don’t help either.

Old 02-16-2021, 08:30 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,320,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkle Berserkle View Post
Wasn't this topic beaten to death and beyond in the seemingly endless "Defining Atheism" thread?

Non-belief doesn't exist in a vacuum. The nonbeliever has made at least some inquiry into atheism, deism and theism and reached a negative conviction about deism and theism and a positive conviction about atheism. It may be a very weak conviction, and the atheist may remain genuinely open-minded, but if he identifies as an atheist and chooses to live his life as though atheism were true and deism and theism were false, then his non-belief is indeed a "thing" that functions precisely the same way as religion does in the life of a theist or deist (who may likewise hold a weak conviction and be genuinely open-minded). If this weren't true, the individual would identify as an agnostic.

The "non-belief isn't belief" argument is a word game played by atheists in an effort to suggest they occupy some intellectual higher ground, operate strictly on the basis of rationality and hard evidence, have no position to defend and thus no burden of proof.

Atheism, deism and theism can all be equally "scientific." They all rely to some degree on scientific evidence. The convictions are arrived at least partly on the basis of the individual's assessment of the scientific evidence.
It's not really a conviction. I have a conviction about certain religions being false as I'm sure you do as well even as a believer. I wouldn't call atheism a conviction but rather a conclusion. As far as there is an almighty creator that started the whole universe, I just don't see it. I've listened to the evidence and it isn't strong enough to rule in God did it. When you commented on the Santa thread one of the big reasons for little kids stopping their belief in Cringle is when they see who really wraps the presents. Much of the evidence I've seen for God are explanations for the unknown. Much of the evidence is actually already explainable but people don't go there. I went there and that's one of the reasons I saw that my personal testimony was awesome but not proof. As we progress in our understanding the less unexplained we may see less belief in God.

Old 02-16-2021, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
frankly i have never paid any attention to atheism myself so this atheistic fervor i see here is quite surprising to me .i think of madeline O’hare as the face of atheism but i know that is not fair.
i do wish however that R&S could have discussions without getting drawn into these circular arguments about a fake thing that does not exist as non-belief. but now i do understand why belief is resisted but fake arguments don’t help either.
What's there to pay attention to? If you have a knowledge-positive belief system and ever considered you might be wrong that's as close to paying attention to atheism as you're likely to get.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:27 PM

15,962 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
What's there to pay attention to? If you have a knowledge-positive belief system and ever considered you might be wrong that's as close to paying attention to atheism as you're likely to get.
Paid attention as to have any curiosity about it. The AA forum is practically dormant.
I had no idea it had its sacred texts, verses that are memorized, and quoted exactly every time.
And that atheists evagelize.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Paid attention as to have any curiosity about it. The AA forum is practically dormant.
I had no idea it had its sacred texts, verses that are memorized, and quoted exactly every time.
And that atheists evagelize.

I don't know what you mean.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:53 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
It's not really a conviction. I have a conviction about certain religions being false as I'm sure you do as well even as a believer. I wouldn't call atheism a conviction but rather a conclusion. As far as there is an almighty creator that started the whole universe, I just don't see it. I've listened to the evidence and it isn't strong enough to rule in God did it. When you commented on the Santa thread one of the big reasons for little kids stopping their belief in Cringle is when they see who really wraps the presents. Much of the evidence I've seen for God are explanations for the unknown. Much of the evidence is actually already explainable but people don't go there. I went there and that's one of the reasons I saw that my personal testimony was awesome but not proof. As we progress in our understanding the less unexplained we may see less belief in God.
You are the wise woman of this village.

Too soon.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:54 PM

What is it exactly that I'm supposed to believe in? That there was an all-powerful agent that created the Universe?

Old 02-16-2021, 10:03 PM

22,162 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
What is it exactly that I'm supposed to believe in? That there was an all-powerful agent that created the Universe?
why would you look to anyone else to tell you "what you are supposed to believe in"?

Old 02-16-2021, 10:04 PM

So it's not OK to even suggest that there may be a natural explanation for how things came to be that requires no agency? Why? It's simply a statement. Should we not consider that possibility? Must we all agree that there is an all-powerful supreme being with no end and no beginning so we can fight over which one of us He likes best?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality