Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 04:31 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Jesus Christ is the one who brought the emancipation proclamation through Abraham Lincoln, and ended the corrupt slavery of America .... It was the liberal party of the southern states that split with the northern liberal party and the war broke out ...... But the prophetic Word of God says that Jesus answered prayer and got the slavery abolished
Did Lincoln tell you that himself?

And what about all those who died in slavery for hundreds of years? Wasn't Jesus a little late for them?
Why didn't he just help them not to become slaves to begin with. Sort of a cat and mouse game just for fun?

Old 02-18-2021, 05:29 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Jesus Christ is the one who brought the emancipation proclamation through Abraham Lincoln, and ended the corrupt slavery of America .... It was the liberal party of the southern states that split with the northern liberal party and the war broke out ...... But the prophetic Word of God says that Jesus answered prayer and got the slavery abolished
In the 1860s weren't the Democrats the Conservatives and the Republicans the liberals.

And why do your God have many other countries abolish slavery years before the American Civil War but needed Lincoln so the States could abolish it?

Old 02-18-2021, 05:37 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Well you started with you being Canadian and not knowing.
Ignorance is not an excuse when there are so many ways of knowing stuff.
Black people were not allowed to practice anything, leave alone their own ways of worship. If Jesus did it for them then all power to Jesus. I am sorry the holocaust has nothing to do with this, different history, culture, people, and it is not the measure for every horror that exists for all times.

Your bolded sentence makes no sense at all. What are you taking about?
I am not here to defend religion But if religion can help people to preserve their self-hood then my opinions about religion, and YOURS, is immaterial.
This kind everyone should do this and everyone should do that is a very weak, unprincipled, position. There is no system created by people that is perfect. Not even atheism, surprise, surprise.
I apologize for thinking that a Canadian would not know as much about American history as a Canadian.

How informed are you about the Canadian Residential Schools disasters?

I repeat so you get it, I never said I was ignorant about slavery in the United States. I also am aware of the terminus for the underground Railway being in Upper Canada (Ontario) and about the tragic outcome of Africaville in Nova Scotia but not as much as Nova Scotia residents should k

I take it you believe that believing 8n Jesus is the only way a group of people can survive tragedies like being a slave in America.

Old 02-18-2021, 06:05 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I apologize for thinking that a Canadian would not know as much about American history as a Canadian.

How informed are you about the Canadian Residential Schools disasters?

I repeat so you get it, I never said I was ignorant about slavery in the United States. I also am aware of the terminus for the underground Railway being in Upper Canada (Ontario) and about the tragic outcome of Africaville in Nova Scotia but not as much as Nova Scotia residents should k

I take it you believe that believing in Jesus is the only way a group of people can survive tragedies like being a slave in America.
The OP is Hindu, not Christian, so I doubt that.

Old 02-18-2021, 06:08 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I

I take it you believe that believing 8n Jesus is the only way a group of people can survive tragedies like being a slave in America.
Now why would you think that? Is it possible that you can only absorb so much and no more?
There have been great tragic events over this long history of this world and people have shown great strength and courage to overcome. The way i see it that inner strength to rise oneself from pure destruction does come from somewhere that has no name. I think of it as the divinity. This documentary about the Black Church is one demonstration of that and i think we can appreciate it on its own merit.
You may do your whataboutism, which i am beginning to understand as atheist response to many things, and i have no other response for you other than to say, what a pity.

Old 02-18-2021, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The OP is Hindu, not Christian, so I doubt that.
MQ, I think of Jesus as an avatar. Us Hindus, we are like that i am getting more religion than i ever thought I was since meeting atheists in this forum.

Old 02-18-2021, 06:16 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
MQ, I think of Jesus as an avatar. Us Hindus, we are like that
I know some Hindus do. One of my former coworkers had that picture on her desk of Jesus and Krishna hand in hand. At Christmas, she also had a stuffed Santa Claus on her desk next to her picture of Ganesha, which always amused me. But, her children were Americans.

One of the great advantages of working in the NYC engineering industry is getting to know people from every corner of the world. It's also why I know there is not one "right" religion.

Old 02-18-2021, 06:21 PM

1,799 posts, read 562,326 times
Quote:
I know some Hindus do. One of my former coworkers had that picture on her desk of Jesus and Krishna hand in hand. At Christmas, she also had a stuffed Santa Claus on her desk next to her picture of Ganesha, which always amused me. But, her children were Americans.

One of the great advantages of working in the NYC engineering industry is getting to know people from every corner of the world.

Hinduism is sort of undefeatable this way. Any god that comes up, Hinduism can simply absorb it. I read once that all the Hindu deities number in the tens of millions.

Old 02-18-2021, 06:33 PM

Quote:

One of the great advantages of working in the NYC engineering industry is getting to know people from every corner of the world. It's also why I know there is not one "right" religion.
Americans can be Hindus. No problem.

Old 02-18-2021, 06:34 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Americans can be Hindus. No problem.
Now that made me laugh ...

I always liked Hindu stuff. I like the chants, the art, the idea of many factettes of god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality