Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 12:31 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I dont get cemeteries. Some are like fancy villas for what is essentially earth. Like the recoleta in buenos aires, some were laid out with antique furniture and draperies with parlours etc. who are they expecting? I find it all kind of sad and morbid.
My wife have loved visiting cemetaries, especially really old ones. They are also lessons in history, reading the dates of so many children dying so young, the changes of dedications over the centuries and the differences in 0ractices over time. Cemetaries are at times the only real quiet place in an area or the only remaining evidence that a community even existed in the area. N9 ting the difference between Hispanic and non Hispanic ones, how they were kept in Havana during Castro time, the need for above ground bury in New Orleans and the existence of a Jewish population in Prague adds knowledge as well as spirituality. Plus they are wonderful places for photography.

That you just don't get it demostrates that we are all individuals and have our own paths , goals and desires. And yours is no more correct than is mine for other people. I just don't want others (not necessarily meaning you) to tell me what oath I should be one and how I should get there.

If I don't believe in any Gods but still find places scared or spiritual that may be simply my lack of knowing words to describe that which are derived from religious sources.

A walk in nature, a long bike ride, playing with a dog, a visit to the badlands , a forest or a cemetery or even an abandoned industrial building are all activities that take me there. A religious service does not.

First sentence was supposed to read My wife and I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2021, 02:30 PM

63,811 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
If spiritual means susceptible to noting coincidences and thinking them significant, perhaps you are right.
But I do get the idea of a feeling of awe and peace as you describe.
I just see it as human feelings. But I assert that the rationalist-skeptical amazement at nature is no less for not seeing it as the work of a god (name you own) or, as Popeye put it 'A rose, by any other name, would smell just as much'.
There are feelings and then there are human feelings, Arq. Simple feelings are the stimulus-responses of our body and brain. Human feelings (spiritual) merge the feelings with our consciousness and its apprehensions. Seeing it as the work of God is not the determining factor for its spirituality (since in my view consciousness IS God) YMMV.

Old 02-24-2021, 05:14 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Quote:
I dont get cemeteries. Some are like fancy villas for what is essentially earth. Like the recoleta in buenos aires, some were laid out with antique furniture and draperies with parlours etc. who are they expecting? I find it all kind of sad and morbid.

It is not about getting them or not.
It is about understanding one simple principle.
No matter how much you hope, or desire, or want, or crave, or have, no matter how long you live - it ALL ends there.
That is the FINAL destination, end to all philosophical or spiritual discussions, end to all possessions, fame, and power.
It is final answer to how short existence actually is and how futile is human in its endeavors.

Old 02-24-2021, 05:29 PM

63,811 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
No matter how much you hope, or desire, or want, or crave, or have, no matter how long you live - it ALL ends there.
That is the FINAL destination, end to all philosophical or spiritual discussions, end to all possessions, fame, and power.
It is final answer to how short existence actually is and how futile is human in its endeavors.
How, exactly, do you know this, ukrkoz???

Old 02-24-2021, 05:32 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
I really think somebody asked jesus when he was busy, "What do we do with the dead?". While distracted he said "I don't know, burry them or something." Had he known ... I bet he would have chosen his words a little better.

But they are cool to go visit. Kind of connects us to the past. So I can can be sold on them.

Old 02-24-2021, 06:01 PM

Quote:
That is nor how I view cemetaries. The length of life or that it will end soon never enters by head when I'm in one.

You definitely have a totally different view of them than do i. Neither correct or wrobg, just totally different.

Old 02-25-2021, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
How, exactly, do you know this, ukrkoz???

Prove me wrong.
There is prize of several million to the first malke, who will get pregnant.
You will become a billionaire instantly, by proving me wrong. A trillionaire, for that matter.
And even that does not matter as, The Great Equalizer will come and both you and I will end just ;ike everyone else. Not a penny taken.
Naked I come into this world
naked I leave it.
You DO understand, at least, that death ends everything PHYSICAL in human existence? And that PHYSICAL is buried 6 feet under? How much of PHYSICAL have you taken with you into your mental journeys? Into your meditations? None, right?

Old 02-25-2021, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
That is nor how I view cemetaries. The length of life or that it will end soon never enters by head when I'm in one.

You definitely have a totally different view of them than do i. Neither correct or wrobg, just totally different.

I have no idea, what you saying. Cemetery is symbol of the end of human life. Period, end of sentence and discussion.

Ah, you meant - enters MY head? I see. Well, can't help with that. What enters then? Death is PRESENT there. I am curious now.

Old 02-25-2021, 10:56 PM

Quote:
I have no idea, what you saying. Cemetery is symbol of the end of human life. Period, end of sentence and discussion.

Ah, you meant - enters MY head? I see. Well, can't help with that. What enters then? Death is PRESENT there. I am curious now.
The next time I'm photography in a cemetery I will try to remember your proclaimion and make the effort to not have my own thoughts or opinions.

I can't answer your question as it would involve using my own opinion and thoughts and you have already declared that your opinion is the final and only opinion on this subject

Old 02-26-2021, 12:33 AM

11,477 posts, read 6,002,443 times
I don't try to recharge, but there are things that enhance a feeling of spirituality.

Stargazing the heavens makes me feel very small and humble. It reminds me that there are far greater things out there beyond what I can see. That enhances spiritual feelings.

Severe weather, I mean really severe dangerous weather. That makes me feel weak and powerless. Experiencing those monumental forces enhances my spiritual feelings.

Being at a wedding and witnessing the moment when two become one.

Seeing a vast ocean from a high vantage point can trigger it.

There are lots of natural wonders that can trigger spiritual thought and feeling. Seeing a long distance from a high mountain. Wildlife. The wind. A waterfall. A butterfly. A sleeping dog.

Certainly seeing a dead body or a monument to those who died can draw that out. That reminds me how close we are to what comes next, especially when you see an actual dead person.

Isolation can do it. Remembering that I am not alone.

Seeing a newborn infant triggers it. The spectacular beginning of the miracle of life.

Any time I try to imagine what Jesus Christ went through, and what he suffered on earth, it tears at me spiritually, just as whenever I try to imagine what Jesus Chris is currently suffering watching what man is capable of doing to man today. That is not a good spiritual feeling, but I can't separate that awful sorrow I feel and realize that Christ's torment over what we are doing to each other daily on this earth is infinitely more unbearable than my human revulsion or horror.

But that is counter acted by knowing that the joy I feel when I see the good people to for other is infinitely greater for Christ, so that suffering is not all he knows. I am sure he gets a massive dose of love and joy from all of the good deeds good people are doing on this earth. That enhances my spirituality very much.

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 02-26-2021 at 12:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality