Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 08:42 AM

31,374 posts, read 20,074,720 times

Advertisements

I understand the word "spirituality" simply doesn't compute for some and has varying meanings for others. A couple of ongoing threads illustrate that. Perhaps some could consider subbing "relaxing contemplation" instead. I'm looking for what other folks do to de-frazzle themselves from life's demands for a while.

Meditation would rank highly on many peoples' lists, I'm sure. Absorbing hobbies do the trick for others.

I'm too ADD to meditate - but I do "zone out" with some degree of regularity, usually when fishing or listening to music. Those activities often promote a contemplative, serene state of mind.

Bird watching also works for me, as does burning incense, sitting around a fire, eyeballing a starry night, smoking weed, sitting in companionable silence with an old friend, watching children and/or animals play.

One of my favourite Seinfeld episodes is the one wherein George's father, played by Jerry Stiller, screams "SERENITY NOW!" when the world is too much with him.

It's funny as hell but I don't think that would work for many.

What do you do when you want to unplug from the world for a while and recharge your spiritual battery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 09:19 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,296,991 times
Either go for a long walk or a long bike ride. Or set off for a day of photography,

It used to be so much easier when we had our two dogs and three cats. Hard not to be recharging when you spent time with any one or any combination of those goofs. Today I relive those memories and think about what they would have done in some current situation. I can also just sit and let my mind wander with no media going on around me.

For the opposite I just come to the forums. ☺

Old 02-18-2021, 01:03 PM

1,799 posts, read 557,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I understand the word "spirituality" simply doesn't compute for some and has varying meanings for others. A couple of ongoing threads illustrate that. Perhaps some could consider subbing "relaxing contemplation" instead. I'm looking for what other folks do to de-frazzle themselves from life's demands for a while.

Meditation would rank highly on many peoples' lists, I'm sure. Absorbing hobbies do the trick for others.

I'm too ADD to meditate - but I do "zone out" with some degree of regularity, usually when fishing or listening to music. Those activities often promote a contemplative, serene state of mind.

Bird watching also works for me, as does burning incense, sitting around a fire, eyeballing a starry night, smoking weed, sitting in companionable silence with an old friend, watching children and/or animals play.

One of my favourite Seinfeld episodes is the one wherein George's father, played by Jerry Stiller, screams "SERENITY NOW!" when the world is too much with him.

What do you do when you want to unplug from the world for a while and recharge your spiritual battery?
Nature does it for me. I consider myself a wannabe nature mystic. Just being in nature and observing it induces a spiritual mindset in me. Birds throw it into overdrive . When meditating at home in city NON nature I regard myself as sitting before the cosmos, the universe , in silent communion with the universe.

I am currently doing a lot of internet reading on the Druids and their approach to reverencing nature. Very helpful and enjoyable.

Old 02-18-2021, 01:23 PM

88,259 posts, read 84,207,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
Nature does it for me. I consider myself a wannabe nature mystic. Just being in nature and observing it induces a spiritual mindset in me. Birds throw it into overdrive . When meditating at home in city NON nature I regard myself as sitting before the cosmos, the universe , in silent communion with the universe.

I am currently doing a lot of internet reading on the Druids and their approach to reverencing nature. Very helpful and enjoyable.
I get it from birds, too. They talk to me. We won't go into this any further lest the nice young men with their clean white coats show up at my door.

And trees, especially the ones that have shown me things. Then there are my rocks/stones...

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 02-18-2021 at 06:21 PM..

Old 02-18-2021, 01:46 PM

63,518 posts, read 39,812,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
The sensitivity to our spirituality does seem to vary widely across people. I tend to see it as a sensitivity to the "bleed over" from our immersion within God's consciousness. But prior to my encounter, I had no such "bleed over" that I was aware of. I am close enough to the end that I will find out sooner rather than later how close I came to understand it.

Old 02-18-2021, 01:54 PM

15,856 posts, read 6,925,328 times
I find it in meaning that seem to suddenly emerge with a flash, and fills me with a joyful awe. It is a thrill, rather than a sanguine feeling.
In nature I merely feel gratitude but even then, when i consider the cycle of life, and what remains, it all clicks together.

Old 02-18-2021, 02:05 PM

25,420 posts, read 9,732,481 times
Quote:

I enjoy knitting and find it very meditative and calming. I find watching birds, looking at the trees and my mountain ridges to be soothing and centering. Today I was checking the birdfeeder off my deck to see if I needed to refill it when I saw a nuthatch on it, enjoying his seeds. I was only a couple of feet away, and he was chirping, eating and looking at me for a bit, allowing me to speak to him, before he flew off. Made my day. I also enjoy listening to zen-type music, especially before going to sleep.

Old 02-18-2021, 02:07 PM

25,420 posts, read 9,732,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I get it from birds, too. They talk to me. We won't go into this any further lest the nice young men with their clean white coats show up at my door.

And trees, especially the ones that have shown me things. Then there are my rocks/stones...
I believe the birds talk to you, MQ, as well as the trees and the rocks. Nothing like it. We have a beautiful babbling creek not far from the back of our house that I like to go to when the weather is nice. I love listening to the sounds of the water gurgling over the rocks.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 02-18-2021 at 06:22 PM..

Old 02-18-2021, 04:22 PM

2,962 posts, read 856,227 times
Quote:

Nice OP. Good to get to know you on a more personal level.

I understand "relaxing contemplation" as one way someone might define the word "spirituality," but for you it goes much deeper than that, right? Your worldview of Animism (Totemism, to be specific) includes the belief that humans have kinship (or a mystical relationship) with a spirit-being, such as an animal or plant.

Can you explain a bit about what activities you find conducive to Animistic spiritual thoughts/feelings (i.e. kinship with the spirit-being of an animal or plant)? Is bird-watching, for instance, something that provides this sense of kinship?

Thanks.

Old 02-18-2021, 04:32 PM

42,370 posts, read 17,725,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I get it from birds, too. They talk to me. We won't go into this any further lest the nice young men with their clean white coats show up at ny door.

I believe you. When I walk on the beach the ocean talks to me.
When it's too cold/windy for the beach I walk around my community (golf course community full of trees, grass, landscaping, etc) so I get some nature but it's not the same as the beach.

I cannot sit and meditate but I can walk and mediate just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality