Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 05:05 PM

1,799 posts, read 563,043 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of debate on here about atheism being or not being a "belief system". I saw this statement ( or a close approximation ) here on CD somewhere in this forum a day or so ago and I thought it summed it up succinctly. Maybe the owner will fess up, it isn't anything original from me.

" I have to believe in something to believe in gods. I don't have to believe in anything to not believe in gods."

Pretty clear explanation of atheism to me. I have trouble figuring out the theist side of considering it a "belief system" , and what the purpose would even be if they were correct.

BTW, I am not an atheist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 05:30 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
I see a lot of debate on here about atheism being or not being a "belief system". I saw this statement ( or a close approximation ) here on CD somewhere in this forum a day or so ago and I thought it summed it up succinctly. Maybe the owner will fess up, it isn't anything original from me.

" I have to believe in something to believe in gods. I don't have to believe in anything to not believe in gods."

Pretty clear explanation of atheism to me. I have trouble figuring out the theist side of considering it a "belief system" , and what the purpose would even be if they were correct.

Human beings act according to what they believe. All I know is that there are atheists tha frequent these forums and act upon the belief that God doesn't exist.

I don't believe in the tooth fairy, but I don't go out of my way to mock and insult those that do.

Old 02-09-2021, 05:50 PM

15,980 posts, read 7,039,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Human beings act according to what they believe. All I know is that there are atheists tha frequent these forums and act upon the belief that God doesn't exist.

I don't believe in the tooth fairy, but I don't go out of my way to mock and insult those that do.
The people who believe in tooth fairy are often little. Who would want to mock little people? When they grow up they stop believing it, but sometimes trick the parents into giving them money on false pretenses.

Old 02-09-2021, 05:51 PM

2,400 posts, read 784,095 times
Quote:

Meet a lot of adults who believe in the Tooth Fairy, do you?

Old 02-09-2021, 06:32 PM

11,033 posts, read 5,993,059 times
I would say many or some atheists do indeed believe there is no God. Others of us say that we have a high degree of certainty that there is no God. Others say they have no reason to believe there is a God (lack of tangible evidence) so they don't and won't until such evidence is presented to them. But we get labelled as believing there is no God or of rejecting God or being angry at God, as though atheism is a belief system. I suppose it must be difficult for someone who believes something so completely to accept the idea that someone else does not believe it.

Old 02-09-2021, 06:49 PM

50,859 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:

How is showing disdain for a religious belief even comparable to what christianity has done to some non-believers?

Old 02-09-2021, 06:50 PM

50,859 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
Meet a lot of adults who believe in the Tooth Fairy, do you?
Well, he may.

Old 02-09-2021, 09:09 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,333,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baptistfundie View Post
human beings act according to what they believe. All i know is that there are atheists tha frequent these forums and act upon the belief that god doesn't exist.

I don't believe in the tooth fairy, but i don't go out of my way to mock and insult those that do.
lol

Old 02-10-2021, 02:42 AM

16,786 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post

To avoid the word games, atheism is not a system of beliefs, it is a negative belief. I do not believe in gods is the same as I believe gods do not exist, but some want us to have a belief to argue we have the burden of proof for our 'belief'. It is a game with words such as belief and faith to pretend their belief and faith in a god is the same as our belief and faith that when we get in a car, it will not crash.

Old 02-10-2021, 03:10 AM

9,691 posts, read 10,024,985 times
Atheism alone is not a belief system, But with Humanism where it is a belief system as this system has leaders and followers with codes and charities which is based on the demise of religion ........ So atheism with do what you want just leave be alone is not a belief system
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality