Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2021, 09:52 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The question may not be whether or not there is a point.

The question may be whether or not man can know the point.

The idea, which the OP seems to suggest is that christians can explain "the point" of their religions, while Buddhists cannot. Well, that foolish belief -- if that is what she believes -- is nonsense.
Good point.

And/or if there is a point in the first place...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2021, 10:13 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
I have read a number of Christians say that if there was no Heaven there would be no point to life. This seems to be said in a similar vein. I find it rather sad that there are large groups of people who seem to see no point in merely living LIFE. Life is grand.
Religious belief seems to quite often rob its adherents of the joy of simply experiencing life.
Why do you assume one perspective "robs" the other of anything? Why would they be in opposition instead of parallel?

Old 02-27-2021, 10:27 AM

1,799 posts, read 562,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Why do you assume one perspective "robs" the other of anything? Why would they be in opposition instead of parallel?

If one sees life as a disappointment without some heavenly reward, they themselves are admitting that life has no meaning without it. I'm not having to assume anything. They are saying it.

Old 02-27-2021, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
If one sees life as a disappointment without some heavenly reward, they themselves are admitting that life has no meaning without it. I'm not having to assume anything. They are saying it.
I suspect those people are in a minority among the religious.

Old 02-27-2021, 11:08 AM

3,573 posts, read 1,176,598 times
Quote:
I believe my view of recycling as one of the refinements of the dross in Spirits within the lake of fire that is a galaxy is more in keeping with known science than some hard to even imagine reincarnating in some newly fertilized human being.
i would not call it 'recycling'. soul/spirit dwells in temporary physical device and all that designed for a reason and have purpose and if that purpose is not achieved it is logical and expected the cycle to run again until the purpose fulfilled and soul/spirit would move on into higher realms.

Old 02-27-2021, 11:17 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
I believe my view of recycling as one of the refinements of the dross in Spirits within the lake of fire that is a galaxy is more in keeping with known science than some hard to even imagine reincarnating in some newly fertilized human being.
If you can get rid of that fiery lake business, you will be more at peace. I think. May be not.

Old 02-27-2021, 11:21 AM

3,573 posts, read 1,176,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
If you can get rid of that fiery lake business, you will be more at peace. I think. May be not.
'fiery lake business' is a psyop.

Old 02-27-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
First off, reincarnation is not a Christian doctrine. What I was saying, though, is that if it's all about learning, then it would seem that the soul would have to retain the knowledge it received in one incarnation in order for the cycle to ever be completed.
It is not all about learning, it is about reaping what you sow. The sentient body is the container and the instrument of pleasure and pain. That is all it is. The Awareness /atma within is not affected by any of that, it is self-effulgent, ever shining, in an eternal state of peace and well-being. It is the realization of this true nature of self is the purpose of reincarnation.

Old 02-27-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
It is not all about learning, it is about reaping what you sow. The sentient body is the container and the instrument of pleasure and pain. That is all it is. The Awareness /atma within is not affected by any of that, it is self-effulgent, ever shining, in an eternal state of peace and well-being. It is the realization of this true nature of self is the purpose of reincarnation.
If it is in an unchanging eternal state of peace and well-being what could conceivably be the purpose of all this realization business???? It can't be changed so what is the point?

Old 02-27-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
If it is in an unchanging eternal state of peace and well-being what could conceivably be the purpose of all this realization business???? It can't be changed so what is the point?
If you reach that Mystic, you will be in a state of fullness, no more questions, no more science, nothing to prove. That is the purpose. You will still come here to the forum but you will be sanguine, nothing will anger you. Because you know the Truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality