Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2021, 03:56 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,176,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
my observation is that people who attempt to discuss paths of religion and spirituality using kiddie words like "Santa" "magic" "woo" "bigfoot" and "invisible dragons" have very little of substance to contribute to, well, actual discussion of paths of religion and spirituality.
right from debunking Manuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2021, 04:11 PM

15,962 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
my observation is that people who attempt to discuss paths of religion and spirituality using kiddie words like "Santa" "magic" "woo" "bigfoot" and "invisible dragons" have very little of substance to contribute to, well, actual discussion of paths of religion and spirituality.
It is similar to those who come into a Heath and Fitness forum and deny there is a pandemic, refuse to wear masks or isolate, refuse vaccines, because they want their freedom.

The way they come out in droves, post after post, in urgent need of ANSWERS, give me evidence NOW, there is some fear that drives it. I believe it is - wait for it - HELLTHREAT!!!! They are missing something and it is going to get them. And they want to stop the discussion NOW. De-rail the thread by any means necessary. Stick your fingers in your ear and go la-lal-la-la-la.

Old 03-07-2021, 04:30 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Poor, sad, pseudo-sages...

Old 03-07-2021, 04:37 PM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
It is similar to those who come into a Heath and Fitness forum and deny there is a pandemic, refuse to wear masks or isolate, refuse vaccines, because they want their freedom.

The way they come out in droves, post after post, in urgent need of ANSWERS, give me evidence NOW, there is some fear that drives it. I believe it is - wait for it - HELLTHREAT!!!! They are missing something and it is going to get them. And they want to stop the discussion NOW. De-rail the thread by any means necessary. Stick your fingers in your ear and go la-lal-la-la-la.
Your view is muddled because of your acceptance of semantic nonsense (or as NatesDude would say, too much Zen "zenniness.") Your view lacks rational sense or even common sense and actually self-contradicts your accurate conclusion about Oneness.

Old 03-07-2021, 05:03 PM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:

No.

I want facts stated as facts with supporting evidence.
I want opinion stated as such, for example, "I believe..."

But there is a difference between facts and opinion/beliefs. Clearly you don't know the difference.

Old 03-07-2021, 05:19 PM

22,163 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No. I want facts stated as facts with supporting evidence. I want opinion stated as such, for example, "I believe..." But there is a difference between facts and opinion/beliefs. Clearly you don't know the difference.
regarding the actual topic of this thread, and your own view in post #167 that reincarnation is possible, where you state "reincarnation. As a Buddhist I believe it is possible, perhaps even very possible."

what do you see is the point of reincarnation? given that is the topic of this thread.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 03-07-2021 at 05:31 PM..

Old 03-07-2021, 06:01 PM

1,799 posts, read 562,185 times
Quote:

I'm sorry, but this makes no sense at all. No one wants to stop a discussion, no one wants to derail threads , and no one is living in fear of a hell from a god they don't believe in. And there isn't one shred of evidence to support this except the projection of theists' minds and thought processes onto atheists.

Atheists ask for evidence when theists make claims. Same as they would if UFO fanatics starting posting claims about UFOs. It's what happens in discussion forums.

Old 03-07-2021, 07:04 PM

15,962 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
I'm sorry, but this makes no sense at all. No one wants to stop a discussion, no one wants to derail threads , and no one is living in fear of a hell from a god they don't believe in. And there isn't one shred of evidence to support this except the projection of theists' minds and thought processes onto atheists.

Atheists ask for evidence when theists make claims. Same as they would if UFO fanatics starting posting claims about UFOs. It's what happens in discussion forums.
Never mind the hellthreat talk. It has a history.
This forum is about religion and spirituality.
What kind of evidence does one expect for a belief? It simply does not make sense to me. This may have something to do with some significance that belief has may be if you come from a western Christian background, that escapes me. If i said I believe karma is a force, do i need to prove it to anybody? Why?
What kind of an evidence would do? Maybe it is simply a way to rationalize the unexplainable suffering in the world.
Now if i said all people with purple hair should be denied education. Now i would need to provide evidence as to why. Because this is is a harmful idea that can affect society, people.
So this drumbeat against Tzaphkiel, her statements about reincarnation, is irrational. You dont believe in reincarnation? Move on. This is what she believes based on something she has studied, internalized. It is far more interesting hear what THAT is, if she is willing to share, than to mock her.

Old 03-07-2021, 07:40 PM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
regarding the actual topic of this thread, and your own view in post #167 that reincarnation is possible, where you state "reincarnation. As a Buddhist I believe it is possible, perhaps even very possible."

what do you see is the point of reincarnation? given that is the topic of this thread.
I could just make something up and state is as factual...but I don't do that.

First, what's the point of reincarnation? I think that's an odd question to begin with, although the context of the OP was to dismiss the concept. Sometimes things are, and exist without purpose. You're trying to attach a purpose to reincarnation because it appears that you think that connects reincarnation to a god. I can tell you the exact reasons that the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake happened. That doesn't mean that there was a purpose for the 1906 Earthquake.

Perhaps, for all we know, reincarnation is just the way things work, not something that occurs by the hand of a creator god. You want the latter, and so you state it as fact, rather than as opinion. We have been down this road before where you have insisted that Buddhism is another path to god, even though the founder of Buddhism -- Buddha himself -- said no. You want to co-opt it into a creator god's purpose.

I've told you before that I don't have a problem with you saying, "I believe the purpose of reincarnation/rebirth is..." My problem is with you stating it, and all your other woo-ness as fact.

I believe that reincarnation OR rebirth is very possible. But I can't prove it. I can show you nothing that makes it a fact.

Old 03-07-2021, 07:54 PM

1,799 posts, read 562,185 times
Quote:
Never mind the hellthreat talk. It has a history.
This forum is about religion and spirituality.
What kind of evidence does one expect for a belief? It simply does not make sense to me. This may have something to do with some significance that belief has may be if you come from a western Christian background, that escapes me. If i said I believe karma is a force, do i need to prove it to anybody? Why?
What kind of an evidence would do? Maybe it is simply a way to rationalize the unexplainable suffering in the world.
Now if i said all people with purple hair should be denied education. Now i would need to provide evidence as to why. Because this is is a harmful idea that can affect society, people.
So this drumbeat against Tzaphkiel, her statements about reincarnation, is irrational. You dont believe in reincarnation? Move on. This is what she believes based on something she has studied, internalized. It is far more interesting hear what THAT is, if she is willing to share, than to mock her.
My post wasn’t meant to address Tzaph, only your suggestions that atheists act out of some weird fear of a hell they don’t believe in . I could offer some opinions about Tzaph, but the mod has stated people posting style isn’t the topic of the thread .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality