Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2021, 08:51 PM

22,137 posts, read 19,198,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I could just make something up and state is as factual...but I don't do that. First, what's the point of reincarnation? I think that's an odd question to begin with, although the context of the OP was to dismiss the concept. Sometimes things are, and exist without purpose. You're trying to attach a purpose to reincarnation because it appears that you think that connects reincarnation to a god. I can tell you the exact reasons that the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake happened. That doesn't mean that there was a purpose for the 1906 Earthquake. Perhaps, for all we know, reincarnation is just the way things work, not something that occurs by the hand of a creator god. You want the latter, and so you state it as fact, rather than as opinion. We have been down this road before where you have insisted that Buddhism is another path to god, even though the founder of Buddhism -- Buddha himself -- said no. You want to co-opt it into a creator god's purpose. I've told you before that I don't have a problem with you saying, "I believe the purpose of reincarnation/rebirth is..." My problem is with you stating it, and all your other woo-ness as fact. I believe that reincarnation OR rebirth is very possible. But I can't prove it. I can show you nothing that makes it a fact.
It is still not clear what your own views and thoughts are on the purpose of reincarnation. which is what is what the opening post asked. Perhaps your view is, as in bold above, that there is no purpose for reincarnation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2021, 08:59 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
The only purpose for reincarnation would be "waste not."

Old 03-07-2021, 09:11 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
It is still not clear what your own views and thoughts are on the purpose of reincarnation. which is what is what the opening post asked. Perhaps your view is, as in bold above, that there is no purpose for reincarnation.
Isn't it just too bad that I don't answer the question the way you want me to.

Old 03-07-2021, 10:06 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
One way of looking at a belief in reincarnation is simply understanding that we don't want to let go of life.

So our fervent hope is that it goes on - in a better form than the one left behind.

We are to become spiritual butterflies, escaping our human cocoons.

Nice thought.

Be cool if true.

Old 03-07-2021, 10:23 PM

reincarnation has people coming back as humans.
that is not an escape.
it is a return.

Old 03-07-2021, 10:28 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
reincarnation has people coming back as humans.
that is not an escape.
it is a return.
Kewl.

Very, pseudo-sage. Ish.

Old 03-08-2021, 07:02 AM

3,687 posts, read 2,407,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
I participate in a philosophical discussion group. In this group we have a couple of people who seem to bring up reincarnation whenever they have a chance. I just inwardly roll my eyes and don’t say anything as I most certainly do not believe in reincarnation. However, just today, I thought: Well, even if someone did believe in reincarnation, what’s the point? It’s not like we remember or gain anything from these past or future lives in any way, so who cares?
Please read about reincarnation before you make these statements.

Think...soul development. You can't do it only once.

Old 03-08-2021, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post

yes.
saying what's the point is like saying "hey if someone went to first grade, what's the point of going to 8th grade or high school or graduate school". or "hey i can read a grocery list what's the point of reading books." or "hey i can pound my fists on a piano keyboard and make a bunch of racket, what's the point of taking piano lessons to play music"

Old 03-08-2021, 07:21 AM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
My post wasn’t meant to address Tzaph, only your suggestions that atheists act out of some weird fear of a hell they don’t believe in . I could offer some opinions about Tzaph, but the mod has stated people posting style isn’t the topic of the thread .
I find Tzaph’s posts valuable and thought provoking. There are times when we disagree, but it is over content not style The post after post attacking her style, her personality, and demands for proof where no proof exists is quite obnoxious. As if those who attack her never state anything other than facts, or never state their biased views as truth.

Old 03-08-2021, 07:52 AM

19,012 posts, read 27,557,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post

That's exactly what i said somewhere on the first page. It is educational and you can not complete it in one lifetime. This is why Christianity came up with vicarious attainment. "worry not, we know, you can't do it on your own, we give you a proxy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality