Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2021, 03:04 PM

21,994 posts, read 19,104,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I like the top part.

I disagree with sort it out on your own. The absolute is absolute. Together we are more one than when we are alone.

I don't understand why some people fear linking a belief to science. I see it with strong atheist and strong theist. Its almost like understanding this absolute will mean the end of them.
you are focusing on fear.
do you have fear regarding that which is unchanging?

i don't know what this meanss: "the absolute is absolute." perhaps it is the same as "the unchanging is unchanging."

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 03-18-2021 at 03:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2021, 03:07 PM

15,861 posts, read 6,934,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy View Post
Concerning rudeness and taking offense... I'll tie it into the topic of this thread, first loosely and then directly.

Loosely: Raja Yoga is one preparatory practice to bring about clarity of mind in order to facilitate comprehending and assimilating the knowledge of Jnana Yoga. Before I came across Advaita I was practicing mindfulness meditation and for mostly secular benefits and one big benefit is not taking things personally. Understanding the external can only affect me if I allow it. Observing the mind's proclivity to dredge stuff up from the subconscious conditioning in response to stimuli and realizing it starts with a subtle thought bubbling up from the subconscious and if left to its own devices soon amplifying into a runaway thought train, triggering an emotional response.

Directly: This does tie back to the prior because one eventually realizes one is not one's thoughts (or body or mind) so things that touch body or mind cannot touch me.

Anyway that's my experience and how Advaita and all its practices translate into my daily life. In the midst of action and even intense and chaotic action one can rest in the underlying and serene silence and stillness and not be affected at all by the storm of life when it blows and even with fury.

Concerning the first point I always liked this parable.

https://mindfulnessmeditation.net.au/arrow/

‘If a person is struck by an arrow, is it painful? If the person is struck by a second arrow, is it even more painful?’

He then went on to explain,

‘In life, we can’t always control the first arrow. However, the second arrow is our reaction to the first. This second arrow is optional.’

Understanding intimately the MindBody unit and the Self has given me a powerful tool to question the location of the pain and what to do about. It has helped me deal with it without crumbling under the weight of it, feeling victimized. Part of it is the karma of it, who owns the karma and how it needs to play out. Prayer always helps and the deity is an important part of the acceptance part for me.

Old 03-18-2021, 03:12 PM

21,994 posts, read 19,104,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Are so saying there is no such thing as time? I could agree on the way we look at time may be illusory but what reasoning are you using to say it doesn't even exist?
how do you know time exists? if someone asked you "what is time anyway" what would you tell them?

Old 03-18-2021, 03:16 PM

63,555 posts, read 39,836,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
you are focusing on fear.
do you have fear regarding that which is unchanging?
i don't know what this means: "the absolute is absolute." perhaps it is the same as "the unchanging is unchanging."
They are equally bogus esoteric nonsense as pointless as the sound of one hand clapping. There are no such things.

Old 03-18-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I like the top part.

I disagree with sort it out on your own. The absolute is absolute. Together we are more one than when we are alone.

I don't understand why some people fear linking a belief to science. I see it with strong atheist and strong theist. Its almost like understanding this absolute will mean the end of them.
Advaita does not fear Science, I don't know why you think that. Much of it is based on what is observable from our own experiences. Advaita helps one see the connection that are there but we miss by observing the finger and not the moon. Once one understand how neatly the teachings and the experience fit science becomes unnecessary. It is like once you know how to create poetry you no longer need to know how to recite the alphabet.

Old 03-18-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Understanding intimately the MindBody unit and the Self has given me a powerful tool to question the location of the pain and what to do about. It has helped me deal with it without crumbling under the weight of it, feeling victimized. Part of it is the karma of it, who owns the karma and how it needs to play out. Prayer always helps and the deity is an important part of the acceptance part for me.
We do not differ significantly about this, CB. I just reject some of the insupportable rationale using meaningless terms and phrases that seem mysterious and inscrutable.

Old 03-18-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
They are equally bogus esoteric nonsense as pointless as the sound of one hand clapping. There are no such things.
Calling something bogus is not an argument.

In any case the topic is Practice of Non-Duality/Advaita in daily life. As long as you think it is bogus you cannot practice it. So what is your interest here? Stay on topic please.

Old 03-18-2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
We do not differ significantly about this, CB. I just reject some of the insupportable rationale using meaningless terms and phrases that seem mysterious and inscrutable.
Nothing in Advaita teachings is meaningless, mysterious, or inscrutable to me, nothing. If you reject them that is fine. You also have nothing to contribute here. You derailing the thread.

Old 03-18-2021, 04:18 PM

551 posts, read 184,882 times
Quote:
I like the top part.

I wouldn't say sort it out on our own. In fact that's one of the aspects I find unsatisfying with much of New Age and I include Neo-Advaita. The seeker is pretty much left to his/her own devices without any real guidance or structure.

I suppose what I meant is it takes practices and those practices are internal work but within a framework provided by a tradition I do understand but in no way qualified to teach. It's not something that can be realized in a day, week, month, year and many cases even decades or lifetimes.

Old 03-18-2021, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Nothing in Advaita teachings is meaningless, mysterious, or inscrutable to me, nothing. If you reject them that is fine. You also have nothing to contribute here. You derailing the thread.
Meditation brought me to the Oneness without my permission in a way that completely contradicted my expectations from Theravada Buddhism. Meditation still plays a major role in my life as does the non-duality and Oneness, except modified by my experience and scientific study. It is possible to acknowledge the truth of some practice without accepting the offered explanations for it, CB. For example, I know from experience that acupuncture works from having it work on my daughter's dog with severe spinal injury, but I do not believe all the woo explanations of how it works or why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality