Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2021, 12:46 PM

551 posts, read 191,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
JustA post suggested that there are more ways to approach clarity to me. If sitting and humming gumballsforall doesn't work do something that does.

I think he has a point. This whole thing would be understood by scientists and engineers. Minus some of the details. But this approach doesn't seem to hinge on those. Like Christians, foolishly to me, hinge the whole thing on "died and rose for our sins".
If that's in reference to Karma Yoga that particular set of practices cultivate purity of mind. For clarity of mind some form of contemplative practice is needed. In essence it's no different than building muscle. One can't think muscle into being. One has to work at it and same for concentration and clarity of mind. Meditation simply takes advantage of neuroplasticity and mindfulness is one technique but there are many, many other techniques available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TeWvf-nfpA&t=411s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 03:16 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Touche'! Thank you. My sincere apologies. I am too blinded by my anger and focus on the unjust and unfair treatment of my beliefs in this forum to see the legitimate frustrations of others. As Arach suggests, I will try harder to remove the thorns.

All of Vedanta and the texts that support it all maintain one thing over and over - the enemies of the self are two things - Anger and Fear.
It seems to me the two are connected. You fear what you cannot control, you hate what you fear, and this makes you angry which leads to wrong action.
I am quite surprised at the easy way you recognize and accept your weakness that causes you pain. That is a great first step.
The next step is to practice humility. Then nothing will seem unjust and unfair.

Old 03-29-2021, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I like that ... I have always said its intentions. I like the unselfish angle. For some people discipline is naturally used to teach and although the given consequence may seem hurtful, its actually unselfish. They are seen as "fair leaders" as apposed to weak leaders, they are either disciplining to punish or they remove discipline because the under dog is seen as always correct. Both are more about the punisher that the action. Hence we see what we see.
I just came across this poetic metaphor relating how the practices come together. I like it! https://youtu.be/Dmy3cphT9kE?t=3190

Old 03-30-2021, 06:54 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
All of Vedanta and the texts that support it all maintain one thing over and over - the enemies of the self are two things - Anger and Fear.
It seems to me the two are connected. You fear what you cannot control, you hate what you fear, and this makes you angry which leads to wrong action.
I am quite surprised at the easy way you recognize and accept your weakness that causes you pain.
That is a great first step.
The next step is to practice humility. Then nothing will seem unjust and unfair.
Ah, that reminded of something a guy would repeat randomly all the time, a house mate, 1973, Key West ...a year later I 'got it'.
Vivekananda said, paraphrased, maybe it's exact: There are 2 doors into the mind...the front door
and the back door. The front door is pride; the back door is guilt.

(For Westerners that might think very highly of the 'mind'...in the Eastern traditions,
saying 'mind' meant the birthplace of
anger, jealousy, revenge, fear, worry, doubt, indignation, selfishness, self-loathing,
depression, insecurity, greed and so on --all the distractions that would keep hidden
our innate joy and connection with the Higher Self, by any name.)

Old 03-30-2021, 07:17 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Ah, that reminded of something a guy would repeat randomly all the time, a house mate, 1973, Key West ...a year later I 'got it'.
Vivekananda said, paraphrased, maybe it's exact: There are 2 doors into the mind...the front door
and the back door. The front door is pride; the back door is guilt.

(For Westerners that might think very highly of the 'mind'...in the Eastern traditions,
saying 'mind' meant the birthplace of
anger, jealousy, revenge, fear, worry, doubt, indignation, selfishness, self-loathing,
depression, insecurity, greed and so on --all the distractions that would keep hidden
our innate joy and connection with the Higher Self, by any name.)
Yes, your explanation of what mind signifies in Eastern thought is accurate. Be the mastermind, not the mind’s slave!

Old 04-02-2021, 04:21 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I hope this place stays that way. Your contribution to the discussion is highly valued.
The vedanta system does lay out right in the beginning that this study is not for everyone. One should acquire or naturally possess certain definite capabilities, qualities of character, values, and maturity before getting instruction. Intellectual acuity or educational degrees are never one of them because those are useless for this purpose.
  • The capacity to distinguish the eternal from what is not.
  • Complete contentment with what one already has in possession of and lack of desire for anything in this world or the next.
  • Ability to keep the mind in control.
  • In Control of the senses and sense organs.
  • Completion and discharge of one’s responsibilities and duties to family, community, and oneself.
  • Forebearance of life’s ups and down with equanimity.
  • Trust the the text and and the teacher to guide you to knowledge.
  • Exclusive focus on learning.
  • The earnest desire to obtain liberation.
These are great general ideas and they certainty apply. The question is what are we actually putting in these to say/see who is actually doing what.

A thing sent his son to die and rise for are sins or Vedanta or neither or others. And how can we spot who is doing what.

"degrees are not required" ... thats true enough.

Old 04-02-2021, 05:49 AM

Quote:
These are great general ideas and they certainty apply. The question is what are we actually putting in these to say/see who is actually doing what.

A thing sent his son to die and rise for are sins or Vedanta or neither or others. And how can we spot who is doing what.

"degrees are not required" ... thats true enough.
Who is doing what in a dream? From one perspective it seems like it's the dream body and mind and in that reality it's true, however what's the source of the dream body's existence and the dream mind's knowing? Also consider is the dream body and mind anything other than the dreamer?

Old 04-02-2021, 06:07 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy View Post
... is the dream body and mind anything other than the dreamer?
No.
And therein is the joy and freedom and the understanding and the freedom and the JOY!
Can I say those enough? No.

Old 04-02-2021, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
No.
And therein is the joy and freedom and the understanding and the freedom and the JOY!
Can I say those enough? No.
When you want to taste the sugar just suck on a finger. LOL!

Old 04-02-2021, 06:32 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy View Post
Who is doing what in a dream? From one perspective it seems like it's the dream body and mind and in that reality it's true, however what's the source of the dream body's existence and the dream mind's knowing? Also consider is the dream body and mind anything other than the dreamer?
That's a different approach than where I am at. You have decided its a "dream" then you are processing it. I am saying I don't know who's interpretation is more relaible.

My base line is ...

ultimately the dreamer is the universe.
Just like its the universe that made that cool car people experience.
We are the universe having a human experience.

Then I process what you are saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality