Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2021, 09:59 AM

15,818 posts, read 6,881,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
you tell us. as you are the one "troubled" by it and "freaked out" by it. and has a "bias distortion" about it.
by the infinite.
Great responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2021, 01:29 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,479,719 times
Quote:
you tell us. as you are the one "troubled" by it and "freaked out" by it. and has a "bias distortion" about it.
by the infinite.
"freaks me out" ... bigger. A universe of multi verses in other multi universes. Thats pretty darn freaky.

We should come up with a process that addresses who is actually doing what. How do we know if you are basing your position on me saying that "infinity freaks me out" as your focal point for determining reliability. Or can you use actually use what is being said.

Old 04-04-2021, 01:32 PM

21,893 posts, read 19,040,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
"freaks me out" ... bigger. A universe of multi verses in other multi universes. Thats pretty darn freaky. We should come up with a process that addresses who is actually doing what. How do we know if you are basing your position on me saying that "infinity freaks me out" as your focal point for determining reliability.
because (a) those are your words and views. not mine.

and (b) my understanding of "infinite" "eternal" "changeless" "no beginning no end" "always was always will be"
has been with me for decades. and has been with the ancients for tens of thousands of years.
your posts about being "freaked out" and "having trouble with" those concepts appeared within the past few days.

Old 04-04-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
because those are your words and views.
not mine.
You might actually want to address what is said instead of veering off course.

Infinite can have a start and then run infinitely.

also, you can be so small that something is "infinite" to you but in reality it is not.

They are what we are addressing.

Old 04-04-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
You might actually want to address what is said instead of veering off course. Infinite can have a start and then run infinitely. also, you can be so small that something is "infinite" to you but in reality it is not. They are what we are addressing.
infinte is without boundary, without limit.
start is a boundary, a limit. therefore it is not infinite.
if something has a start it is not infinite.

Old 04-04-2021, 03:14 PM

15,818 posts, read 6,881,931 times
Quote:
You might actually want to address what is said instead of veering off course.

Infinite can have a start and then run infinitely.

also, you can be so small that something is "infinite" to you but in reality it is not.

They are what we are addressing.
Who is the we?

Until your perception shifts you will never understand Advaita.
The focus of of Advaita is the self, your interior, your mind. it is not science, definitely not the observable world. It is awareness.
This awareness is eternal and infinite because it is the same as the cosmic consciousness.

As long you think you are your perishable body and mind, your perspective will always be small, will never be the infinite.
You are not seeking to understand, you are seeking an argument. Advaita has no argument with anyone.

Old 04-04-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Who is the we?

Until your perception shifts you will never understand Advaita.
The focus of of Advaita is the self, your interior, your mind. it is not science, definitely not the observable world. It is awareness.
This awareness is eternal and infinite because it is the same as the cosmic consciousness.

As long you think you are your perishable body and mind, your perspective will always be small, will never be the infinite.
You are not seeking to understand, you are seeking an argument. Advaita has no argument with anyone.
"we" is whoever. I would say we need to look at what perception is doing what. Go so deep into yourself that there is nothing but you seems incomplete. The self can fool the heck out of itself. Like thinking it has a grasp on infinite just because it used the word.

"eternal" 10^20 years would seem eternal to you. No, commonsense doesn't really argue, it thinks. Many people that have a particular statement of belief about god that they feel is the one true truth need us to stop thinking and asking "what if...". weather its atheism or theism is of lesser importance.

Old 04-04-2021, 07:40 PM

Quote:
infinte is without boundary, without limit.
start is a boundary, a limit. therefore it is not infinite.
if something has a start it is not infinite.
The question is why you need it do be other than it is. Weather it started or not. Weather its in a line of starting or not. Doesn't change the belief in any way.

The simple answer is that it doesn't matter. Why one clutches to "its without beginning or end" is more interesting.

Old 04-04-2021, 09:18 PM

Quote:
The question is why you need it do be other than it is. Weather it started or not. Weather its in a line of starting or not. Doesn't change the belief in any way. The simple answer is that it doesn't matter. Why one clutches to "its without beginning or end" is more interesting.
infinite is not a belief. (any more than integer is a belief. or calculus is a belief.)
it has a definition.
a person understands the definition, or not.
a person can logically use it or not.

if it "doesn't matter" to you what the definition is, or whether you understand it, then it seems strange to keep asking about it.

extending indefinitely; endless; subject to no limitation; unlimited extent of time, space, or quantity; boundless; without limit

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 04-04-2021 at 10:12 PM..

Old 04-05-2021, 05:46 AM

Quote:
infinite is not a belief. (any more than integer is a belief. or calculus is a belief.)
it has a definition.
a person understands the definition, or not.
a person can logically use it or not.

if it "doesn't matter" to you what the definition is, or whether you understand it, then it seems strange to keep asking about it.

extending indefinitely; endless; subject to no limitation; unlimited extent of time, space, or quantity; boundless; without limit
Tzaph, your belief is that your belief is "infinite". We don't that what you believe is infinite. Think of a light year in miles. Its 5.879e+12miles. Now go a billion of them. Thats 10^21. Now go 100 billion of them. Its not even close to infinite.

Look at an atto second. For context, an atto second is to a second what a second is to about 31.71 billion years. If your life is an atto second in something else's life its infinite to you. You can't wrap your head around (me neither) so you comfort yourself by not thinking about it and saying "My thing is "infinite" and you don't understand".

all you are doing is saying "my belief is "bigger". I am saying "I don't think you actually know."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality