Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 11:13 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Its almost like "Duh ...yeah.".

And, the other thing, for me, is that star treck had some plausible things in it. Some, much less plausible than others. It also had some lessons it.

Another thing that freaks me out is how they revere the actors ... sound familiar there too? I would like to talk to the writers, not the actors.

They can have your bible conventions and even all dress up. Stay out of law making and how the universe works.
Quite correct. And (so far as I know) the sci Fi conventions do. Even the Jedi -force 'religion'. I wish the same could be said of the other 'Conventions' where they tell fantasy stories and dress up is strange costumes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 04:12 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Remember tho trans. Space travel is plausible. We even pasted the star trek's communicator. There probably is life out there. We probably are in a system and connected to it in everyway.

There is no need to fight "space travel" beliefs. at every turn, because some trekies are rude, obnoxious, and pushy.

Old 03-08-2021, 07:15 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,084,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Remember tho trans. Space travel is plausible. We even pasted the star trek's communicator. There probably is life out there. We probably are in a system and connected to it in everyway.

There is no need to fight "space travel" beliefs. at every turn, because some trekies are rude, obnoxious, and pushy.
Sad but true. Los of jokes have been made about Star Trekkies and many of them are grounded in some degree of factual observation.

I was much maligned growing up in a small town because of my interest in Star Trek. Most people were of the belief that conformity, including apparently not liking Star Trek was to be the norm, and people who were seen as non-conformists were considered outcasts. I am a non-conformist to this day, and as you have already realized, I am not like "most people"

I do my own thing. Including thinking about things, as opposed to just accepting and being spoon-fed what I am told. Perhaps that, more than anything, has led me to the comfort of atheism. Atheism is the most free and liberating philosophy I have ever found in my life.

I have found that not only is there no evidence at all for a god, there is really no logical need for a god. When one accepts the realities of life, the fact that as a human, we cannot, with our current technology, know everything in and about the universe, and that no human can or has, then it is quite liberating to say to oneself "I am a human, and I am ok as I am" No god is needed to change what we may think we know, but I can see where some people gain comfort and inspiration from that. From my perspective, it is an illusion, but to them, if it makes them feel better, then so be it.

Just do not ever try to force it on me.

Old 03-08-2021, 10:41 AM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Sad but true. Los of jokes have been made about Star Trekkies and many of them are grounded in some degree of factual observation.

I was much maligned growing up in a small town because of my interest in Star Trek. Most people were of the belief that conformity, including apparently not liking Star Trek was to be the norm, and people who were seen as non-conformists were considered outcasts. I am a non-conformist to this day, and as you have already realized, I am not like "most people"

I do my own thing. Including thinking about things, as opposed to just accepting and being spoon-fed what I am told. Perhaps that, more than anything, has led me to the comfort of atheism. Atheism is the most free and liberating philosophy I have ever found in my life.

I have found that not only is there no evidence at all for a god, there is really no logical need for a god. When one accepts the realities of life, the fact that as a human, we cannot, with our current technology, know everything in and about the universe, and that no human can or has, then it is quite liberating to say to oneself "I am a human, and I am ok as I am" No god is needed to change what we may think we know, but I can see where some people gain comfort and inspiration from that. From my perspective, it is an illusion, but to them, if it makes them feel better, then so be it.

Most of us rational people are fighting the imposition of religious beliefs on society, KingCat. They are and should be limited to the individuals that hold them, after all they are between the individual and their God. I am just intrigued by how some of the beliefs about God, Heaven, Hell, etc. are finding parallels in the developing science and my extrapolations from it.

Old 03-08-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Most of us rational people are fighting the imposition of religious beliefs on society, KingCat. They are and should be limited to the individuals that hold them, after all they are between the individual and their God. I am just intrigued by how some of the beliefs about God, Heaven, Hell, etc. are finding parallels in the developing science and my extrapolations from it.
I would so enjoy to see you direct a Star Trek film. I have always been taught that Science fiction reflects the society who made it. Especially in regards to writing, Cold war era sci fi is much different from contemporary sci fi in that for example instead of the federation at war or on the brink of war with the Klingons , it has become the focus of a planet to mine or develop a new planet to provide resources for the people at home.

I always attended Star Trek conventions with a friend who was more into it than I was, I stopped watching when they started next generation, although I have since returned to watch all of it often. I still enjoy it. By going with someone who was more familiar with the stars and storylines, I at times felt lost, but interested none the less.

As for dressing up, my kids started going with me and they Loved it. Cosplay is the highlight of the weekend for so many peeps.

as for the relationship some religious people may have with their god, I think that a few souls believe that it is their god given RIGHT to force their beliefs onto others, after all the Bible, the Torah and the Koran are all sprinkled with orders to gain converts.

But you are correct it SHOULD be about a relationship between them and their god because I think I espouse a commune view amongst the atheist populace here who would respond with "I do not WANT a relationship with YOUR god."

Old 03-08-2021, 04:01 PM

Quote:

its a narrow road Large. Truth, to the best of our ability, and defend people that can't defend themselves. Hunt predators. Its just that out siders don't do it based on race, statement of belief about god, birthplace. "revenge" is not a primary motivator for outsiders.

Belief in some thing more complex is, by far, more reasonable that denying it to fight religion. I stand against religion and I can stand against people that use anti-god as a weapon. They are the same to me. Dangerous.

Old 03-08-2021, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I would so enjoy to see you direct a Star Trek film. I have always been taught that Science fiction reflects the society who made it. Especially in regards to writing, Cold war era sci fi is much different from contemporary sci fi in that for example instead of the federation at war or on the brink of war with the Klingons , it has become the focus of a planet to mine or develop a new planet to provide resources for the people at home.

I always attended Star Trek conventions with a friend who was more into it than I was, I stopped watching when they started next generation, although I have since returned to watch all of it often. I still enjoy it. By going with someone who was more familiar with the stars and storylines, I at times felt lost, but interested none the less.

As for dressing up, my kids started going with me and they Loved it. Cosplay is the highlight of the weekend for so many peeps.

as for the relationship some religious people may have with their god, I think that a few souls believe that it is their god given RIGHT to force their beliefs onto others, after all the Bible, the Torah and the Koran are all sprinkled with orders to gain converts.

But you are correct it SHOULD be about a relationship between them and their god because I think I espouse a commune view amongst the atheist populace here who would respond with "I do not WANT a relationship with YOUR god."
IKR ... I always say "think of a nice Borg". Today, the younger gen don't even know what I mean. they ask ... "Do you want to be assimilated?". No is met with disbelief but total acceptance. They take who wants to come. They then leave a book telling us "You might follow these suggestions so you don't kill your planet."

See yaz.

Old 03-08-2021, 09:22 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:

Yea, Jews don’t seek converts...

Old 03-08-2021, 11:12 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That at least is a point I take on board. You and Arach have been pushing it, rather. I have said before that it is an area of interest. I don't think it amounts to an intelligence or even 'life' (in the organic sense) but some God of Einstein, the AI that runs the universe, or a non -religious 'Sortagod' was always an unproven possibility. I just opine that finding parallels between the Woo -end of science/Cosmological physics and your hypotheses is not the same as validation of it - unlil science announces that there IS a Cosmic mind that created the Universe (indeed, the stuff from which the BB -event emerged) and can be mentally accessed by humung beans if they develop the mental technique.
I'll give you the win if we get that (until then, science is a bit closed - minded as you said yourself) even if they don't endorse your belief that the Cosmic Mind passed on a series of religions in order to educate us spiritually, and never mind Jesus being stapled up.

Arach doesn't listen to me. He may not listen to you, but you might explain to him that 'sortagod' is merely distinguishing a possible Cosmic Mind from the personal gods of the religions which - so it seems - is his own view, so why he uses it it bash me is only explainable by unthinking hostility towards atheism and (it seems) me, personally.

At the risk of plonking my own cracked 78 on the wind - up phonograph, we agree on far more than we disagree on - just the hypothesis you have hung on the hook of your interpretation of your experience. Your post above seems to show that we are in agreement about rolling back at least Some aspects of religious influence, though New atheism (so far as I have ever heard) doesn't intend to abolish religion or stop it preaching.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-08-2021 at 11:23 PM..

Old 03-09-2021, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

At the risk of plonking my own cracked 78 on the wind - up phonograph, we agree on far more than we disagree on - just the hypothesis you have hung on the hook of your interpretation of your experience. Your post above seems to show that we are in agreement about rolling back at least Some aspects of religious influence, though New atheism (so far as I have ever heard) doesn't intend to abolish religion or stop it preaching.
There was a point Matt Dillahunty made on his show recently, in regards to asking Christians why they believe what they believe with no evidence.
Faith is not evidence, and believing something on faith which has absolutely no basis in fact or evidence should be addressed by us atheists.

I do not care what another person believes, so long as their beliefs do not lead to actions which impede upon my life, my rights......But I do like to suggest that someone think of the facts and evidence behind what they believe.

There are many people who report some type of a personal mystical experience....and that is ok and fine by me. So long as they do not fly airplanes into buildings or call me and tell me how I have to worship their god....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality