Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2021, 08:30 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Fair enough definition and clarification. I see a lot of it going on, particularly on those posts that are “hidden from view” kind, and from you as well.
But some times questions are just questions, no chain or yanking. Best course, if the intention is for a dialog, is to address it with goodwill and clarity. You will never go wrong with that. A chain yanker can get tired of it. Some dont of course, that is why they get “hidden”.
Worst thing to do is to pounce on the poster and attribute all kinds of evil intentions and call them names. That is not a winning tactic if one wants to be understood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 08:31 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Do you mean hate them like some atheist hate theism. That kind of hate.
No not at all. Your broken record is always wrong. Not sure why you are so proud of being so terribly wrong. Just something I can not understand.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:36 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
+-That's the problem with commandeering a relocation site, you shouldn't expect converts. It should be enough to understand you have been heard. It seems unrealistic to expect others to abandon their way of life to make you and yours happy.
That problem seems only to be a problem for you, or perhaps I should say 'with you'.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:40 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Now you were asking about chain yanking. That is a pretty good example. There is no attempt at understanding, persuasion or discussion, but leaping on anything, anything at all (1), to hold up in court to discredit the Other side.

Some studies? Care to cite them? Some 'old - uns'? Well, we've all heard that one, haven't we? But haven't we also heard of some know -it -all kids who already have fixed opinions without much of substance to back them up. You see, anyone can do that sort of mucky -insinuation.

Open -mindedness is not a matter of age, but a matter of method. Whatever age you are, your method appears to be glued -shut bias with no effort nor inclination to understand or even listen to the other side.

(1) I have to mention (though not identify) one poster who years ago leaped on my confession that I had never been good at mathematics to imply that this meant I must be wrong about everything else. Grubby tactics that are pretty typical of this person, though I won't mention his name, and he probably won't remember posting that, as he never remembers anything, even if he posted it the previous page.

Limit what can be said then say you are open to letting people decide for themselves.

Yup, that's is a rational and honest way of thinking.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:59 AM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Here is an example of how the FFRF supports the Separation of Church and State by providing legal support to some Alabama residents who had been denied a voter registration because they refused to sign an oath that included "so help me God" at the end.

You can read all about it here: https://ffrf.org/news/news-releases/...utm_content=PR

This is great even though Alabama is the only state that requires such an oath. The state has great govt. websites and allows for online voter registration. Quite advanced for a southern Red state. The form now has a tiny line that gives you an opt out. Crazy.

I always find it problematic to pledge allegiance to a flag and end with so help me god. It is problematic for me even though I am not atheist. i am quite happy to pledge allegiance to god, itis just so incongruent to mix god and nation.
The ffrf should take up yoga with Alabama.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:22 AM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
What laws are American Christians breaking? Be specific without shouting. If they are breaking laws what kind of action American atheist are taking, beside being supportive of the constitution which is passive. It is not active. Atheist need to be doing something active that is why it is called activism.
Probably very high? You dont know the answer do you? Probably 0 is equally valid, no?
I have better resources than wikipedia. Have you heard of books? Of forgot you dont know English. I am sure germans read books as well. Do you know German?
How do honest, civilized people, like Germans for instance, debate?
Here's an answer to your question that just hit the news today:

https://ffrf.org/news/news-releases/...ote-in-alabama

Old 04-07-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
The problem is with some of the old'uns is they are reportedly more rigid in their thinking and less diverse than the rest of society. Some studies have stated after age 35 most people are dogmatically set into their mindsets. That's something I hope to shy away from until my dying day.
After a while it can appear the elders have lived their lives and are now wanting to direct the lives of the future.
How old are you?
Do others on this forum see you as being dogmatic?

Old 04-07-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Here is an example of how the FFRF supports the Separation of Church and State by providing legal support to some Alabama residents who had been denied a voter registration because they refused to sign an oath that included "so help me God" at the end.

You can read all about it here: https://ffrf.org/news/news-releases/...utm_content=PR
You beat me!

Old 04-07-2021, 09:38 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Fair enough definition and clarification. I see a lot of it going on, particularly on those posts that are “hidden from view” kind, and from you as well.
No, I am not here to yank chains, I have too many things to do to waste time and play silly games. That some people may not like my posts is their problem, it is never my intention.

Last edited by Harry Diogenes; 04-07-2021 at 10:10 AM..

Old 04-07-2021, 09:59 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Here's an answer to your question that just hit the news today:

https://ffrf.org/news/news-releases/...ote-in-alabama
I had no idea that there was a Religious Test to qualify to vote. I would have expected an outcry about that long before now. I do remember the change in the Jury service oath. When I did the first one 20's - 30's (my age - not the date ) if you wanted to Affirm, you had to make an application beforehand, and they didn't bother to tell you beforehand. 10 years later, you were asked 'swear of affirm?' when being sworn in. Religious privilege Is being rolled back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality